Hello from Australia

dcBear78

Hi, my name is Darryl. I live in Gladstone, Queensland, Australia (am I the first Aussie?) I have just purchased my first ever bike, an XJ6F (more commonly known here as FZ6R). Mine is the White/Magenta one, which must be a new colour scheme for 2010 as I don't see any of them in the member rides? We only get this one and the black one here.

This bike only went on sale in Australia this week, my local bike shop has yet to take delivery of it. Hoping to be on it early next week. All stock in the country has been sold/allocated before it has even gone on sale.

The reason I am getting this bike is the licencing system here in Australia only allows new riders to ride certain, certified bikes under a set power to weight ratio. So while the XJ6N/S is the same bike, Yamaha has not gone through the certification process, otherwise I may have got the N, although I am really starting to come around to the looks of the F model. They have changed these laws a couple times in the last few years and I hadn't kept up to date. I have held my motorbike "learners" for almost 10 years, but never owned a bike or had a reason to do the tests needed to get an unrestricted licence.

I was thinking all I was required to do was to attend a day long course/evaluation (called Q-Ride in Queensland) and I would be free to ride any bike. This was true up to last year. I found out they added a step in between when I had signed to purchse an FZ6N (we get the full naked one in Oz... apparently they sell very few of the S's).

Fortunately for me Yamaha decided to release this bike to the market the week after I couldn't buy the FZ6N.

Really looking forward to starting my motorbike journey on it.

Also picked up an M2R Wraith leather jacket, Dririder Aero gloves and an OGK FF-5 helmet.

That poxy, and quite frankly ugly exhaust has got to go. Already looking for local venders of Two Brother exhausts. Also after seeing some rides with the flush mount indicators, that looks like quite a good mod too.

Hoping to learn a lot about my new bike here.

Cheers

d.

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

dcBear78

So how does that work - by law you are only limited to some bikes because you are a new rider, but once you own the bike, you can mod it so it's faster and it's still legal?

Thanks
From what I am reading after-market exhaust provides SFA difference in power, especially without ECU retune/replacement. I could be wrong, I am still very new to this but I have seen these comments quite a few times. Only difference is visual/audio. The biggest problem is the elimination of the cat. Not sure yet whether bikes must have one here, but assuming even if all bike don't require one, those that came with one, must retain it.

Welcome and have fun with your new bike ownership. Looking forward to seeing some of your riding picks.
Thanks. Will be out riding with a few mates (if I can ever keep up with there much, much more powerful bikes.) Will see if I can get some happy snaps, although there really isn't much to look at round my way.

Last edited:

dcBear78

Woohoo!!!! Shop has it in. But unfortunately my finance documents won't be finalised until next week. Going to head down there later for my first look at this bike in person. So far only really seen the pics posted up on here.

dcBear78

Went and had a look at it. Unfortunately it was still in the crate. But I must say the pearl white looks a million times better in real life then in pictures. Also the red decals have a pattern through them and aren't just solid red. Makes it look a bit better too.

streetmaster

So how does that work - by law you are only limited to some bikes because you are a new rider, but once you own the bike, you can mod it so it's faster and it's still legal?

Thanks
Hey Guys, I'm new here too (introduced myself already!)
As far as any mods mechanicly,,,, no way!!
The restrictions are on a power/weight ratio and any deviation is illegal (but only if ya get caught!! :D)
Been told the bikes out here are restricted only by throttle movement, so that would be a pretty easy fix. And I dont think any law officer (Sir!) would know the difference as long as the bike looked stock.

dcBear78

Went past the shop today on my way to night shift, the have my put together put it pride of place right at the door for everyone to see. Just need my finance finalized!

On another note, it looks like the Aussie one is badges as an FZ6R now. Still has all the diversion kit (abs etc). I like FZ6R better than XJ6F. Rolls of the tongue a lot better.

I am really itching to get on this thing!

streetmaster

I can just imagine how you feel!
I'm not waiting for finance on mine. I'm waiting for the insurance payout from my wrecked VStar to replace it with a Raven FZ6R!

Last edited:

dcBear78

Picked mine up this morning. The very first one registerred in QLD, confirmed by the problems they went through getting the LAMS registration through properly.

Taken it for a bit of a ride today. Shouldn't have as I have an assignment due tonight that I haven't started and I only have a learners permit atm. But, just couldn't resist it. Nice and easy to ride. It has been nearly 20 years (about age 13) since I rode a bike. Still got lots and lots of practise to do, but come together pretty quickly.

The throttle restriction is pretty evident, especially at highway speeds. Doesn't seem to pick up speed any faster than the average car at about 100kph. Under that, it is very zippy.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

dcBear78

Oh it will once it's all nice and broken in. You'll feel the motor start to loosen up and you'll be very happy with it.
Aussie delivered ones has a throttle restriction on the throttle body that only allows the throttle to open about half way. At 100kph in 6th I am using about 90% of the available throttle movement.

Only another 700k's till that is fixed though. ;)

streetmaster

There is a tab on the throttle body crank that restricts movement.
Bend that out of the way & she is un-restricted just like the U.S. models.
Just don't get caught by 'the man' until you have a full licence!!!

JonKerr

Elite Member

dcBear78

There is a tab on the throttle body crank that restricts movement.
Bend that out of the way & she is un-restricted just like the U.S. models.
Just don't get caught by 'the man' until you have a full licence!!!
Yep. Will be done at the first service. Already 1/4 the way there in just a couple days.

:eek: Are they serious? That's pretty chicken $#!t to do that. Might as well restrict the displacement to 125 if they're going to do that crap.
The reason is this modes is specifically being sold for new bike riders, those on there learners permit or restricted class licences here in Oz. These bikes must me 660cc or under with a power to weight limit of 150kw/tonne. Because this bike is borderline with this power to weight ratio Yamaha has instaledl the throttle restriction to keep the man happy.

But as stated by streetmaster, this is an extremely easy limitation to get around.

streetmaster

:eek: Are they serious? That's pretty chicken $#!t to do that. Might as well restrict the displacement to 125 if they're going to do that crap.
It's a power/weight ratio for inexperienced riders. 150kw per tonne,
really not too bad. My last bike was a V Star 650 Custom & that is a LAMS (Lerner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) bike as is with no restrictions. Most bikes under 660cc are OK or available in a restricted version. eg. Suzuki Gladius is in two forms Std or restricted.

fcukinky

My new Black Baby...

Picked this up 2 days ago, its a 2011 with just over 2000 km, I am Located in Sydney and I was going to take it to a Mechanic to just check over it, anyone got any recommendations for mechanics ?

I was just going to go to Bike Biz in Parra ??

All I have done to it, is a polish, removed the decals and plastic dipped the front windshield. Looking at plastic dipping the front forks this weekend.

IMG_2650.jpg

Karlbee92

Picked this up 2 days ago, its a 2011 with just over 2000 km, I am Located in Sydney and I was going to take it to a Mechanic to just check over it, anyone got any recommendations for mechanics ?

I was just going to go to Bike Biz in Parra ??

All I have done to it, is a polish, removed the decals and plastic dipped the front windshield. Looking at plastic dipping the front forks this weekend.

View attachment 29529
Bikebiz or Team Moto