Gun Talk Thread

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
what holster do you use for riding? I'm looking for something a little better than my iwb setup.
I carry my XDM in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It's comfortable and conceals the full size frame really well, even in a light t-shirt or polo. I have had no problem wearing this while riding.

"It's the ugliest holster you'll ever love!" :D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen compression-style shorts that have a holster built into them, and I think there are compression-style or underarmor-style shirts with built in holsters as well.

To be honest, I have seriously considered getting a thigh rig while riding. Louisiana is an open carry state, so there would be no legal reason why I couldn't do this. I would just have to deal with the sheeple that have been engrained with a fear of handguns by the media. :rolleyes:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Washington is an open carry state as well, however there's a lot of interpretation left to LEO's under a law against "menacing the public". Some say the mere sight of a weapon in the open is criminal, others say it's brandishing (carrying it in your hand) that is the criminal. That said, I've considered using the thigh rig I carry in the woods. I use a Blackhawk Serpa2 tactical rig. It has a great retention system that I think would better survive a slide down the highway, yet it's still as quick to draw from as a holster with no retention system if you practice your draw.

The main trouble with open carry for me is that it takes away the surprise factor to those who want to do you harm, and may make you a target for some dumb punk that thinks your piece would look better in his hand.
Blackhawk makes some nice rigs!

I'm not too worried about the LEO harassing me, because there has already been a precedent set in Louisiana for LEO bothering people open carrying. In fact, it cost that police department a butt load of money because it went to court. Let's just say that the guy now has two brand new ($$$) cruisers for his wife and himself, along with a new boat, a few more guns and some other goodies...courtesy of the police department that messed with him. :thumbup:

As far as losing the element of surprise, there are no reports of persons open carrying being singled out in the commission of a crime. And if any dumb ass punk is stupid enough to reach for my sidearm, he will be making a trip to the ER for the broken nose that occurs when my elbow tells him it's not okay to touch my piece. :spank:

Deputyfarva252

Washington is an open carry state as well, however there's a lot of interpretation left to LEO's under a law against "menacing the public". Some say the mere sight of a weapon in the open is criminal, others say it's brandishing (carrying it in your hand) that is the criminal. That said, I've considered using the thigh rig I carry in the woods. I use a Blackhawk Serpa2 tactical rig. It has a great retention system that I think would better survive a slide down the highway, yet it's still as quick to draw from as a holster with no retention system if you practice your draw.

The main trouble with open carry for me is that it takes away the surprise factor to those who want to do you harm, and may make you a target for some dumb punk that thinks your piece would look better in his hand.

NC is also an open carry state , As a Law Enforcement Officer I wish more people would arm themselves .....but just because you can open carry does not mean you should, its just as easy to get a concealed carry permit and theres nothing i hate worse then watching some @$$hole walking around walmart who thinks he's billy bad@$$ because he has a gun on his hip. Im not saying all people are like that but a lot of them who open carry are.

redprodigy35

I do not own any firearms, but am an avid reader/researcher/fan.
I do however own many knives.

For those of you that are worried about "some punk" disarming you of your sidearm, I recommend a Kabar TDI knife. It is a emergency retention device for your sidearm. I personally have 2 although I do not own a firearm like I said. I have the thick short style and the serrated tanto (ish) version. It was designed by a former police officer, who now teaches at the Tactical Defense Institute if I remember correctly.

The holster and handle of the knife are constructed to be familiar to someone who is used to drawing a firearm. They are worn on the opposing side of your firearm, and the knife is drawn and used in one swift motion, most likely lacerating (deep cut I'm sure - because of the thumb over the spine grip) the attackers forearm.

Looking at the spine of this knife and the short sturdy construction, I doubt someone would successfully disarm a firearm after taking a cut from this knife.:cool: It is NOT however a primary defense weapon.:shakehead: You wouldn't wanna even take this into a knife fight. It has a very specific purpose and use.

The only issue I can see is that if using this, you would now have to carry 2 holsters on opposing sides of your hips. The unit is real small and lightweight though.

There are video's on Youtube which explain the product and usage.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1480

Spunky99

I carry a knife at all times and have practiced so that the draw and open is seamless and fast with the business end ready to kill or render the perp completely unresponsive. I'd only pull it in a life threatening situation but wouldn't hesitate to use it with full lethal force.

I've seen open carry in Arizona old west style and thought it looked cool. Guy was OK and I felt safer with him in the mini-mart because no LEOs were in there in case of a robbery.

I'd hate to be a LEO and have to see civilians with open carry because of the unknown factor but from a pragmatic point of view I ask this. Has anyone ever seen anywhere at anytime a criminal open carry a weapon of any kind? I didn't think so....

So by definition and practice a person that does open carry is a "good guy" and anyone carrying concealed is suspect.

Here in CA you can't get open or concealed unless you know someone or are famous or a LEO or Judge so I don't even think about it.

When I crashed my bike, the alarm was going off and the LEO opened my pocket where I told him the alarm key was and told him there was a pocket knife in there there too. He liked that I told him before he stuck his hand in there. No surprises and he left it there for me.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

kevin8198

Elite Member

Cmltoe

Who knew I could combine my two loves on one forum!

My trusted sidearm is a Glock 27 40 cal. In case that doesn't float my boat, I've got a Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical 12 gauge with flash suppressor, full auto M11 with Gemtech Viper supressor, FN 5.7 (holds 20 sick rounds), 357 S&W and a 25.06 for hunting with my brother in law. YES!

Having just ridden my FZ for the first time this weekend, I can say diving into a corner is BETTER than letting 30 rounds go in under 2 seconds! I envy you guys and gals that have been practicing this sport for years. I find myself checking weather maps/radar daily and asking my work if I can "work from home" more than ever!

24KMACH

Close.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZr-MeqOwyE&feature=related]YouTube - ‪THE BEST MOTORCYCLE MOVIE CHASE‬‏[/ame]

roadrat

Sweet video. Pretty hard to dump a bike with a sidecar, lol. :D I've been thinking how a couple heat seeking rockets would look good mounted on each side of my fz6r but I guess I'll have to settle for taking my Springfield Armory .45 to the range in a backpack. :thumbup:

M

mas4489

I just bought a birthday present... S&W M&P .40
I havent shot it yet, hoping to this weekend.
I have seen some decent reviews
whats everyone shooting as far as ammo?

DragonBlu

S&W 40 Proload 165gr.JHP is what I carry in mine.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis", 1952:thumbup:

M

mas4489

i got some
american eagle 155 gr
speer lawman 155 gr
federal hydra shok 135 gr
cor-bon 135 gr

hopefully doing some testing this weekend

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ6R29708

My EDC is a Kahr CW9 9mm with 147 Gr Gold Dot JHP. It's a great little pistol, a little snappy, but smooth trigger. Love the M&P's, but even the compact M&P is chunky compared to the CW9. Had a SA EMP that I never could get to feed reliably, but it was a work of art.