Get yourself a "nuts & bolts" check too

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

DragonBlu

Sorry to hear about your friend Martin. I just turned 60 and have regular checkups. When you health is gone all the money in the world can't save you. Heed Marthy's advice here and take care of yourselves folks and have a long,healthy and happy life.

JSP

Super Moderator
So very sorry to hear that... Thoughts and prayers for his family. :(

iSpoolin

Sorry to hear that. It's been almost 3 years now since I lost my dad the same way. He was a little older at 59, but still.

I need to get myself into shape again, just don't have a place to work out being in an apartment right now, i'll hop back on P90x once I get into the house this month!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ6R66

All you need is a pair of running shoes and the great outdoors. Why people don't exercise is only an excuse. People are lazy and just don't want to start a healthy routine.

Bloke

Losing weight is the best and cheapest way of improving the power to weight ratio on your bike.

Improved core strength helps you hold the correct body positions around tight corners.

Improved arm strength helps stave away the aches and pains in your wrists after a long ride.

Basically it's not just a tune up for you, it still counts as a tune up for your bike :)

I started running at 300lbs... I can now cover 3.2 miles as a basic training run every other day. I'm not much lighter as I still eat crap, but it has made a massive difference to my general health.

Already completed a 10k, looking to do a half marathon in the summer.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

Sorry to hear.

I have one of those little wire things [stent] in me.
Have always been active, genetics and family history, can't escape that no matter how we try.
Doc said that starting to exercise more caused the blockage, reason, plaque tore loose because of increased blood flow from exercising, body tried to fix causing the blockage.
So now I quip , 'exercise will kill you!', I still exercise trust me, not going to stop that.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Thanks everyone. I always been an athletic type too. Hockey, school sports, Martial Arts and running in the last 2 years. But I found out I had cholesterol issues 2 years ago. It's was all fixed within 3 months (240 to 160) with diet and exercise. Pressure still look good. Cholesterol was still at 160 about 1 month ago...

I still need to be check properly. Turn 40 this year... need to be more aware as you get older. My Dad pass away at 47 from Cancer. I need to check for hat also...

But hey! Enjoy life while it last and don't waste any of it being not happy. Do what you need to do to get back on track! Life is short... sometime too short.
My Blood Pressure was 120/70 during the attack and cholesterol was 138.
So , not always a indicator.
Cardo doc says that about 80% of what he sees is people start aggressively exercising again and this occurs.
Family history is a big part.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Bloke

Did you ever had the chance to read Born to Run? Great book! We all can run... this is the reason why we are on top of the food chain!
So true.

Not read the book but unless you're unlucky enough to have other health issues, beyond obesity everyone can run.

If I can run at 300lbs without injury, chances are applejax can.

It's all a matter of coaching and running correctly, minimising impact and most importantly stretching afterwards to recover without everything in pain the next day.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Y

yellowfz

Sorry to hear about that bud. Very good advice. Working in the health care industry we get the message about taking care of yourself beat into us. And it's a good thing. I got a huge wake up call about 4 months ago. I have a lot of medical issues myself. I went in for an injection in my neck and they almost cancelled it because my BP was too high. 165/98. I called my indocronologist who follows my thyroid issues to order a full blood panel. Turned out my cholesterol was 240, ( should be under 200 ) triglyceride was over 300 ( should be under 150) I'm 33! Big wake up call. Complete change in lifestyle and 4 months later I'm down 32 lbs and my labs are back to normal.
Wow, that would be a eye opener.
Wife has had a issue for 3 years trying to get Family Doc to address, she finally did some research and found some things to get tested for, lo and behold they found the problem, Parathyroid gland/s enlarged. She basically diaged herself.
She is having surgery in a couple of weeks and the Surg says she will feel better almost immediately.
It causes Hypertension and a lot of other things.

Glad you got it back to norm Jon K..

Like Red Green says ; "We are all in this together and I'm pulling for ya!".

Last edited by a moderator:

Jago9

Sorry to hear about your friend, my prayers go out to his family and friends.

Great advice for everybody out there, thanks for sharing.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member