FZ6R or Suzuki Gladius?

pyrocpu

OK. I'll have to try that when I go test ride this machine.

As for Gladius feedback... see for yourself! :)

Brugge

If I properly rev-match on the downshifts, then the lack of slipper shouldn't be an issue, correct? Is rev-matching difficult on the FZ6R? I've been doing it for more than a decade in every manual-trans car/truck I've had; it seems natural to me in a vehicle with three pedals. I hope that'll translate well onto a bike...
This is my first bike and I must say the clutch is very user friendly, hardly any movement needed for shifting and very smooth. You'll learn it very quickly

GoGreen09

Here's my $.02: the main concern would be if you fit on the bike, regardless of which bike you choose. From the sounds of it, you'll fit either bike. Me personally, the Gladius is FUGLY! That's just me. Now the FZ6R, I can't say enough about it. Don't worry about the gear indicator. I'm actually glad that I don't have one because it challenged me to keep track of my gearing when I started - FOCUS. After riding in a track, it's just so hard to look down and keep my eyes forward so the indicator wouldn't have helped. For the insurance, I have State Farm; I can't remember how much it is, but it is definitely cheaper than most especially when I bundled my car and home insurance with the bike. The tires are easily replaced depending on how much you want to fork out. For $200 I was able to get the stock replaced with Dunlop Qualifiers - which are awesome upgrades btw! About top heavy, this is my first bike, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did let my coworker ride it. He's ridden anything and everything with 2 wheels. He actually liked how it's "balanced". Again, I don't have anything to compare, so I can't vouch for that. Comfort.... my longest ride has been just over an hour and I don't have any complaints! I'm 5'6" and I couldn't flat foot in the beginning. I have 5000+ miles and the suspension has settled a bit that I can now flat foot (depending on the surface). Last, I'm not sure how many dealers you have access to. I ended up getting mine at $6000 (w/o the add ons) since the dealer had no sale for that day. I didn't know how to haggle with motorcycles then, so I think I could've gotten a little more discount if I pushed a little bit more.

Before you buy, also know that you've got great support from everyone in this forum....don't know about the Gladius family...

FitZ6R

OK. I'll have to try that when I go test ride this machine.

As for Gladius feedback... see for yourself! :)
You seem to have convinced the Suzuki crowd that you want a Yamaha... now you just have to convince yourself. :D

Seriously, I bet a test ride will remove any doubt. It did for me.

pyrocpu

OK, if I've been doing it in a car/truck, then this'll be a natural progression. Check. Phew. :)

* Fit: both fit me just fine
* No gear indicator-to concentrate on track: OK, gotcha. Good point. Is there a factory shift light?
* Insurance: currently w/ Allstate; I may need to wait until Nov 9th, when my ticket (only one in 14 years of driving!) falls off my record before quoting more companies. State Farm wants over 80% MORE than Allstate with fewer fringe perks for at least the house & car.
* Tires: do you suppose that I can trade in the stock tires for a set of Qualifiers? I do like the Gladius tires more...
* $6000: wait, OTD in CA, or bike only? I'm aiming for no more than $6000 bike only, plus 9-9.5% TN state tax (I know... :rolleyes:), $100 for tags/license, and maybe just another $150 in provisional fees and BS.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

pyrocpu

State Farm is expensive? :eyebrow: That's very odd. They were the only company who gave me a fair quote. And they didn't care about the one ticket I have on my record. I was getting pricing of anywhere from $2000 - $3800 per year from companies like All State, Geico, Progressive, etc... State Farm gave me $600 per year with the most coverage possible. They are the only insurance company out there that doesn't take the type of bike into account. All they care about is the displacement. My dad's $18,000 (1450cc) Harley was insured through one company for $350 a year. They quoted me $3000 a year for a bike that cost less than half his. :rant:

Also what tires come on the Gladius that you like so much better?
I think that these companies just vary from location to location. I'll be insurance shopping again before long here.

Tires on the Gladius are the Dunlop Qualifiers; I've been reading good stuff about them.

JSP

Super Moderator
Seems like most of the Gladius guys are steering you toward the FZ6R! :D

JonKerr

Elite Member

Allan

Pyrocpu - you seem to have done your homework on the technical and aesthetic bits. I did the same, as this is my first bike, and I wanted to make sure that I would not buy in haste and be dissatisfied. After all my homework, my choice was between the FZ6R and the GSX650F - both had great pro's and not too many cons. Thus, I went with the one that took my breath away when I looked at it - a cadmiun yellow FZ6R!!

pyrocpu

Yes, most folks over there, given my personality, seem to point me over to the Gladius. I think. Most are citing torque and looks as the primary driving/buying factors. As for me, my purchase consideration for those two metrics are this... looks--both are good, IMHO, in their own way. Torque--as mentioned I like to rev; this doesn't bother me much. Plus I weigh only 140lbs... :D

Tires--OK, how long does one expect to get out of the OEM tires on the FZ6R?

Homework/hastiness--weeeeellll... I'd have to agree, but doing so in a rather compressed timeframe (1 week or so). Last week I was googly-eyed over $6900 2008MY CBR1000RRs blowing out, but as I snapped back to reality, I then re-started looking at standard middleweights. Before the aforementioned Honda, I'd been looking at the Gladius quite a bit. I did look at the FZ6R briefly before, but dismissed it as I hadn't read up on it much. I'd also prefer the FZ6R over the GSX650F; that one looks quite dated.

As far as accessories go... I'd be interested in a tail tidy of some sort, some way to mount a GPS unit, and some sort of power port to plug in said GPS and/or heated gear. Then I'd buy heated gear. :D None of course, are immediate needs. Just maybe the tidy. :)

With the Gladius, I'd have to get a wind/flyscreen, a saddle fix, different springs for the fork (+ labor too), a slip-on... then/i] the bits above I'd intended to get for the Yammy...

GoGreen09

$6K was for the bike only. I ended up getting the extended warranty stuff, but I don't remember how much the other charges were.

pyrocpu

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks for the link. I guess I'm seeing only good reviews on the Gladius, and good ones of the FZ6R.
Are there bad reviews of the FZ6R??? :confused:

Not that I have seen..

As for your tire life question, I have almost 7k on my stock tires and they have plenty of life left! I have not worries about hitting 10k on these.

pyrocpu

Go Green--$6K bike only... OK, that's basically what I'm expecting. Per usual, I'm going to try and drill down a bit more.

Jspans--10K and still fine. Gee, it could be awhile before I toss the tires then, huh... Maybe I'll just do a x-country trip then. :)

About that extended warranty... is there even a need with the Big 4 Japanese bike manufacturers??

Accessory seat--is there a need for that, or just do the Corbin bit?

Sorry for the zillion questions... yes, I was that kid in the class asking all the questions. At least I was the "back row" student though. :D

JSP

Super Moderator
Not sure about the seat question. Although I've done a all day ride with Dart, and Verranth and I felt fine after 7-8 hours of riding...i think it was. Only got a little pain in my shoulder. I think the stock seat is great.

Extended warranties I do not do. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I look at it this way. I will put 12k+ on my bike the first year I have it (still under warranty). If there is an actual manufacturers defect, it will 90% of the time show up within that many miles. So I dont get the extended warranty.

pyrocpu

OK! Today started out a bit drizzly, but turned out to be sunny this afternoon!

I went to "browse;" dealer insisted I test ride. Well, gee, I'm not one to turn someone down... :)

In addition to the FZ6R & the Gladius, he wanted me to try out the Ninja 650 (he had higher stock in this). So it went: Yamaha first, Kawi next, then the Gladius last.

I'll just start by saying that the Ninja 650 was disappointing. Brakes felt rather... wooden. Bars just didn't feel right. The tach was a joke. And the engine! Wow, it REALLY sounded like a really fast version of the Autopia cars at Disneyland. Agricultural.

Brakes: toss up between the Yamaha & Suzuki.
Suspension/ride: Yamaha 1st, Gladius 2nd. FZ6R had a good blend of good ride & sportiness. Gladius was comfortable, and felt quite light. It felt more maneuverable than the Yamaha.
Clutch: Suzuki. Totally. Super easy; felt like I'd been riding it for months! Very forgiving. Yamaha was OK. Friction zone seemed kinda... small. It also seemed to grab quicker too. I'm chalking this one up to the fact I haven't ridden a motorcycle since May, and the Yamaha was the first one I rode.
Engine: Yamaha is linear; Gladius felt like that was a rush near the upper end of the rev range? Does that make sense? Both had enough passing power in top-gear at 45-65mph. But that inline-4 sound I was looking for? Yeah. Wind noise was all I heard. Yamaha seemed... quiet! The Gladius, on the other hand, sounded marvelous. Spectacular!
Highway: Gladius needs a windscreen. Damned near blew off.

The Suzuki seemed easy to ride; almost as though I've already learned 90% of the bike. The Yamaha felt as though I've learned only 60%. I like the challenge, that there's more potential there than I admittedly possess.

Logic dictates the Suzuki. Heart goes for the Yamaha. It seems as tough now after the test rides as it was before!
Perhaps the question is now: FZ6R or FZ6?

JonKerr

Elite Member

nc_fz6r

Well.. you've put up quite a few pros and cons for both sides... You can now break it down to one simple issue; an issue you will not realize until you've purchased a naked bike and stared at it for a good long time in your garage....

FULLY FAIRED BIKES ARE SEXIER

I myself like looking at naked bikes in passing.... but seriously, unless you're European, then a love for a fully faired bike is in your American Blood.