FZ6R Oil Change - How To

A1A

Sounds like the guy putting on the FZ6R original oil filters. Is the same guy who installs the FJR initial oil drain plugs.

Is the FZ6R Yamaha oil filter number 5JW-13440-00?

Thanks!

BikeMike

Thanks for posting - I just did my 600 mile change a few days ago. I recommend spending a few minutes on removing the fairing (a few bolts and unplugging the turn signal connector) - it will give you more room for the tools

Used the K&N filter and 3 quarts of the Mobil1 10w-40 4t Syn. Bike actually shifts a tad smoother now.
I have been told my "m'cycle engineers" to use dino lube the first two fills, then switch to syn. But...who knows?!

CDN6R

I had my first oil change done at 1000 KMS (600 miles) now at 3000 KMS and after the bike sat all winter I will change oil again using Dino oil(Castrol Grand Prix 10w 40) and the next oil change I will use syn.

YAM TOM

Great info

Exactly what i was looking for thanks. Just picked up the new Yam 2 days ago and was hoping I wouldnt have to pull the whole fairing off to get to the oil filter. Thats a blessing :p:p:p:p:p

Nicolas

Sorry if this is too basic, but the date vs km in the manual always throw me off.
Ive always gone by km for the car, rarely follow the date suggestions (6 months etc), same for the bike ?

Nearly at 3500km now and just bringing her out of winter, a few short rides so far.
The 1000 was done last year, mid-summer.
Thinking I should do an oil change now, even thought the manual only lists at 1000, 7000, 13000...(every 6000km)
Opinions ?

Thanks to OP for the instructions, and the others with the pictures along the way.
Definatly going to save the money and do it myself next time.

Anyone know the size of the crush washer? Also I wouldn't use a Yamaha filter since it has paper end caps. Might as well get the Fram for much cheaper if your gonna use that.

ByronSA

great write up! it made my first oil change fairly easy, i had to do the screwdriver though...huge pain in the ass.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

AngryAnt

Hey guys, quick question. I need to do my 600 mi oil change this weekend if I can find time.

I bought 3 quarts of Castrol Syntax full synthetic 10w-40. Is this oil OK? I read earlier in the thread to use "motorcycle" oil and not "car" oil, but I'm forced to go to an autoparts store where I can't find anything labeled "motorcycle" oil. Or should I take this stuff back and mail order something?

I only have one bike shop anywhere near me, and because they know they can, they gauge the prices. Where do you guys get filters from? I really hope I don't have to mail order it, I'd like to do it this weekend. I also would like to find a filter wrench, I read they only cost $5 - $15, which seems worth it not to risk doing damage with a screwdriver and get oil all over the place in the process.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

AngryAnt

I think the guys behind the counter knew about as much as I did, so if they had bike oil, they had no clue they had it.

The API service on the back just says SM, SL, SJ, CF, I don't see anything anywhere about friction modifiers or "energy saving", although I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. So I guess this should work. I just hope I can find an oil filter in the morning when everything opens and a filter wrench that will get the stock one off.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Doncan

I bought the oil and filter @ Advance Auto Parts. The K&N oil filter # is KN-204 and the Purolator oil filter # is PL14610 or PL14612. I also found the appropiate oil filter wrench end cap for the purolator filter. The oil I use is Mobil1 Racing 4T 10W-40 4-Cycle Motorcycle Oil. It costs @ $10.00 but so far my bike works perfectly fine. I hope this info helps...

I buy my KN-204 in bulk from Amazon. They sell for $10.00 and anything over $25.00 ships free. So I purchase 3 at a time for a great price. For oil I'm running Castrol 4T Dino 10W-40 currently and have the Castrol 4T racing Full Synthetic 10W-40 for my next change. I have 3 gallons of Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in my stash for future oil changes.

AngryAnt

Found one particular autozone in town that got me the KN-204 filter, and they even carried motorcycle specific motor oil in (Mobil 4T Syn). Took the castrol stuff back, got my filter, and picked up Mobil oil.

Three hours later, I still can't get the @#$@#$ @#$@#$ @#$@# stock filter off!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Screw driver method keeps crushing the side in, I can't actually get a good puncture, and I"m afraid to crush it in anymore. Then I bought some kind of wrench the autozone guy would "surely" work, the kind that has three teeth that tightens as you turn. It still kept slipping. Took that back, bought one of the metal "band" type wrenches, that really doesn't have enough room, but even still it won't grip worth a damn.

I'm about ready to stab a @#$@#. :surrender:

Got my brother coming over later with some channel locks, maybe that'll work. If not, I'll return that POS wrench and try another one until something works...

Doncan

Don't loose your patience. The stock filter is very tight and slippery but it will come out. This is the tool I use. Is very effective and you can find it at Autozone. It's basically the smaller one they sell but bring your K&N filter with you just to make sure you get the right one.

lwclancers

Sort of excited, just ordered all my stuff to do my first oil change (never done one before).

Dealer did my 600 and 2000 change. Im a little over 4000 now. Im going to switch to AMSOIL 10w-40. I also found the K&N filter on amazon for $10.15. Last time at the dealer my overall parts and labor was $75...this go around its $55. Ill get it down in the future...especially if I try another synthetic for cheaper.

I also picked up some basic parts, like a low profile pan and funnel. Im hoping the stock filter wont be so hard to take off since the dealer has done a few changes already.

While at it, amazon had good prices on some other auto needs to picked up some car air filters and the like...proces beat anything local.