FZ6R Oil Change - How To

GranTourer

Actually I was thinking sharpie :D or black plastidip (I have some left over from tinting the windscreen). Supposedly that stuff is good to +200F.

DarkWing

The write up is great... :( but i cant see any of the pictures anymore. Kinda trying to figure out where my oil nut is, Im going to do my oil change this morning after work. Shouldnt take me very long. Does anyone feel like updating this a little bit?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

NOLAstylee

was going to change the oil yesterday, but when i put the drain pan under the bike, the kickstand is in the way, so i can only get a corner of the pan under. It looks like oil is going to go everywhere so I'm kind of hesitant on this one. any suggestions? ( i don't have front or rear stands)

DarkWing

was going to change the oil yesterday, but when i put the drain pan under the bike, the kickstand is in the way, so i can only get a corner of the pan under. It looks like oil is going to go everywhere so I'm kind of hesitant on this one. any suggestions? ( i don't have front or rear stands)
I actually cut out the side of a gallon jug of tea... Dont worry though, the oil will spit out so not until it starts dripping will you have to have the pan underneath

Sent from my Nexus 7

ylwf3vr

Before I got my stand I put one of those cheap aluminum pans under the bike. The ones you can use for BBQ or potluck.

Last night was a disaster:

1. removed oil filter before removing drain bolt (oil everywhere)
  2. I think I've stripped the head of the bolt to the oil pan

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

latony007

i was just getting ready to do mine for the first time this weekend now im scared lol. i do know to drain the pain before the filter but i will need to make sure i can at least loosen the filter before i drain the pan because my first oil change experience on my cruiser did not go so well with the filter being stuck on and needing to punch a screwdriver all the way through it to twist if off took forever. i tried those "cap" style filter wrenches but none worked, i will never put another oil filter on except K&N because of the nut they put on the end, why everyone doesnt do that i do not know

xJoshuaDrakex

Last night was a disaster:

1. removed oil filter before removing drain bolt (oil everywhere)
  2. I think I've stripped the head of the bolt to the oil pan
That's not good. The stripped oil pan actually happened to my buddy's r6 about a month ago. We found a tapered drian bolt from autozone that drilled out a slighty bigger hole. Worked like a charm.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

removing the oil filter for the first time is a Mother ****ing *****!!!!!!!!!! I hate that whore!! lol sorry I have so much anger built up from those stock filters.... there after having the nut on the end is a piece of cake!
Man i hope i dont have that trouble again on the yamaha, its been changed once by the dealer so i am hoping like Scott said he was a hand tighten and maybe a little turn with a wrench guy. The worst part is there was no K&N available for my cruiser within reach so i have to do it again with the strap wrench next time, but i ordered my K&N to have it ready, i dont think they go bad. For my Yamaha i already have a K&N and castrol 4T full synthetic motorcylce oil ready to go.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Was still probably easier and cleaner than a screwdriver, LOL! I should have paid $5 for the end cap wrench to use with my socket set. K&N is a great filter and oil changes are a snap now.
The screwdriver method was a huge fricken mess. And i could not find a cap that fit my cruiser filter correctly seems like they were for car filters. I would up using my neighbors strap wrench similar to the one pictures and will probably have to do that again until i get the K&N on this time.

latony007

I didn't get a cap wrench the first time and needed to use a screwdriver and pliers and it was horrible, but still glad I did it myself. I have the K&N and Castrol 4T now as well. Shifting seems much smoother with the Castrol synthetic.
good to know. 44$ for a 6 pack on amazon with free shipping cant beat it.