Fz6r losing power?! plz help

WARL0K13

do you have a K&N or high flow filter? I had one and it was a manufactured flaw that restricted airflow and made my bike feel like it was dying 85+mph especially when throttle given....now throw a plain filter in...my bike was fine. food for thought.
I have yet to put in a k&n air filter,i want to, but have not done so yet.... I just came back from the dealership and i'm dropping off the bike tomorrow for its 8000 mile service and to have it diagnosed. I explained to them the issues I was having so hopefully they can figure it out.

CtrlAltDl

Sounds like the voltage regulator not the rectifier. However, I think they are contained in one unit on the FZ6r.

Just to clear things up; a rectifier and voltage regulator do two very different things. A rectifier converts the AC current to DC. A regulator is used to maintain a consistent voltage. (no i didn't google it. I'm a geek HAM Radio Operator, ya people still do it :p )

Since you are seeing voltage drops I would look at the regulator but the dealer would just change out the whole unit, have a nice day.

I happen to know that for the same reason as you. I've had an Ham Radio license (N7RMJ) for 20+ years. Though I don't know how to use a ham radio anymore, the electronics knowledge has stuck with me over the years, and has been very useful.

Motorcycle manufacturers seem to call it either a rectifier or a regulator, but they do always (in the last 20 years or so) seem to be in the same package/unit.

A bad battery can cause the same symptoms. If the battery won't take a charge it'll create a draw on the charging system and cause a lower voltage in the system.

I suspect that it is a bad electrical connection, regulator, or battery (in that order). Unfortunately a bad connection can be extremely hard to find.

Last edited:

nucmedman63

the loss of power u descibe would ask me to think of external devises like juice box try unplging it and see if it still does it just a sugestion

WARL0K13

the loss of power u descibe would ask me to think of external devises like juice box try unplging it and see if it still does it just a sugestion
I know,I had initially suspect the jukebox. But its been on the bike for about 9 months now. Why would it just recently start messing with it? Or just over time it would drain it little by little? Only electrical mods on the bike are flush turn signals and the jukebox and they've been on almost 1yr. Since I've got the bike.

WARL0K13

I happen to know that for the same reason as you. I've had an Ham Radio license (N7RMJ) for 20+ years. Though I don't know how to use a ham radio anymore, the electronics knowledge has stuck with me over the years, and has been very useful.

Motorcycle manufacturers seem to call it either a rectifier or a regulator, but they do always (in the last 20 years or so) seem to be in the same package/unit.

A bad battery can cause the same symptoms. If the battery won't take a charge it'll create a draw on the charging system and cause a lower voltage in the system.

I suspect that it is a bad electrical connection, regulator, or battery (in that order). Unfortunately a bad connection can be extremely hard to find.
Yes it could be a bad connection....but wouldn't that be something that would happen right away, not 1yr later..? I'm sorry I just can't seem to understand how something electrical can fail with time. Maybe there is a bad connection, its making there rectifier/regulator over charge or under charge and those are breaking..... Bad connection messing up battery maybe?

nucmedman63

every thing is pron to failure the box may be fine they r simple process of elimation and it is controlling fuel output do u notice lights diming at the same time if so I would be looking for a bag ground or lose gound which would want to shut things down

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Detrich

Speaking of Hondas I know someone with an 07 CBR600RR with 3k+ miles that had to replace the engine after it seized up. Supposedly it was a really well-maintained bike. Mostly stick. Might've just been a lemon.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
In for an update! It for sure seems electrical since you are losing electrical power at the same time, ie, lights dimming etc. Let us know what they say.

They will try to blame it on the Power Commander I bet.

WARL0K13

In for an update! It for sure seems electrical since you are losing electrical power at the same time, ie, lights dimming etc. Let us know what they say.

They will try to blame it on the Power Commander I bet.
Attention everybody! My fz6r is back from the dealer and better than ever! The "power loss"issue it was having was due to having gasoline in the emissions canister which was making the bike "bog"out. This is caused by over filling the gas tank. I know its a rookie mistake but its kind of ok because its my first bike and plus the dealer never told me not to over fill. You live and you learn right?

WARL0K13

Power loss issue resolved! ;-)

Just recently, my fz6r was having a power loss issue it has now been resolved. It was due to having gasoline in the emissions canister. This is caused by over filling the gas tank and when taking off or stopping quickly, it would spill out the tank and in to those little holes under the gas tank cap....thus allowing gasoline to spill into the emissions canister and all other places. Yes its a rookie mistake but me being a first time rider was not aware of this, so to all you other first time riders, don't overfill the gas tank!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

WARL0K13

like, overfill by how much?

I usually go to just to the fill hole (if you look in when you open the tank, the steel "bucket")...

How full did you fill it?
Yes that's to were I usually fill it to.... Just touching the metal bucket. But the mechanic at the dealership said to fill about an inch under the bucket. Touching it is already too much.

WARL0K13

:needpics: lol im kinda lost i didnt know you could over fill and i dno what "bucket" your talking about haha
When you open the gas cap, the metal extends out into the take forming a bucket shape with a hole at the bottom.... Also when you open the gas cap, look on the outside and there's a little hole with an orange washer around it...if you overfill gas splashes into it causing problems.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Superzoom

Just recently, my fz6r was having a power loss issue it has now been resolved. It was due to having gasoline in the emissions canister. This is caused by over filling the gas tank and when taking off or stopping quickly, it would spill out the tank and in to those little holes under the gas tank cap....thus allowing gasoline to spill into the emissions canister and all other places. Yes its a rookie mistake but me being a first time rider was not aware of this, so to all you other first time riders, don't overfill the gas tank!
WOW... You learn something new every day. I have been guilty of really overfilling a bunch of times. Once you've almost run out of gas once, you tend to overfill out of fear.