Front Brake handle ??'s

angelsneverlose

Hey Guys,
So since i have both an R6 and FZ6R, i have recently noticed some big differences between them. The biggest (other then obviously), is the brakes and brake sensitivity:mad:. I have tried all the different settings and cant figured out what the numbers are doing:confused:. im a little concerned because my fiance now rides this bike and to be honest, im scetched out about the poor braking or hesitation im getting...

So, when you all pull your front brake... how far does the level go before it activates the brakes? I have too pull mine all the way in, and the lever is actually hitting my other 3 fingers (if 2 finger braking):rant:. At this point, the brakes still dont feel fully engaged, but obviously i cant pull anymore!:surrender:

i have tried to lock them up just to see if they fully engaged while doing like 5mph (nedo), but its impossible... this seems odd to me

So what would cause this? Is there any adjustment? Could the brake cables have been stretched out or something and now there is too much flex?

What do the setting do, and which is the hardest? 1 or 5? I have tried both thinking on should make it so you dont have to pull the lever as much and they are more touchy, but still, i find myself pinching my fingers!!:(

let me know please!
~ Chris

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

angelsneverlose

The numbers just move the lever closer/further away from the hand grip IIRC. It doesn't actually adjust the sensitivity of the brakes.
so which is 'supposed' to be making it further? 1 or 5?

Does what im describing sound normal? I dont remember having this issue when i first got the bike

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Bigevildoer

#1 should be the farthest away from the handlebar and therefore engage the brake the earliest.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

angelsneverlose

If your lever is set to the furthest point and it's still not engaging your brakes fully when you're crushing your other fingers, there's something wrong and not normal. Sounds like you may not enough fluid and/or air in the brake lines, worn out pads and/or rotors. How many miles are on the bike? I've got 11,000 on mine and my brakes are still in perfect condition. Not as powerful as say and R6 or an R1. But still plenty of power to lift the rear off the ground the other day in an emergency stop. All without the lever coming anywhere near bottoming out on the grip or my fingers.
OK, i will try setting 1 and try it... if not, i think your right and something is wrong its possible i could be lacking fluid i guess, but i know for a fact it wont lock up the front tire right now :banghead:

how do i check how much fluid? I haven't done anything to the brakes since i bought the bike new... Its been 90's here or more, does it need thicker fluid? How much would SS lines help? better pads?

it currently has 5100 miles on it, so IMO not much at all

:confused:

yamanube

Why don't you try taking all your fingers and grabbing the brake lever? I really doubt that you are unable to lock up the front wheel, I think the problem is somewhere between the bars and the seat.
Try riding at around 60mph then take all four fingers and squeeze the brake like it owes you money and let us know what happens, maybe you should put some thicker fluid in there since it is so hot out, try some 10w50. Then go take a motorcycle safety/riding course.

stuna

Why don't you try taking all your fingers and grabbing the brake lever? I really doubt that you are unable to lock up the front wheel, I think the problem is somewhere between the bars and the seat.
Try riding at around 60mph then take all four fingers and squeeze the brake like it owes you money and let us know what happens, maybe you should put some thicker fluid in there since it is so hot out, try some 10w50. Then go take a motorcycle safety/riding course.
10W 50 WHAT ? NOW THAT SCARES ME :spank:.
EBC HH BRAKE PADS WILL LET YOU STOP QUICKER THAN STOCK PADS

Spunky99

10w50?
The MSC is a great idea as they make you learn to do emergency stops without locking up the brakes and they actually measure how far it took you to stop for the test.

I have my brake adjusted so that I use my middle finger only and can blip the throttle during stops to change gears while braking. I put on ss braided Speigler lines and flushed the system and put in the best brake fluid I could find. This works fine.
Valvoline.com > Products > Brake Fluids > DOT 4 Brake Fluid > Valvoline® DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid

I can stop with one finger just fine and can lock up the brakes with one finger too. Bleed your brakes...if there are any air bubbles, the brake throw will be a lot more to compress the air. A properly bled brake system doesn't require that much pressure or lever throw to stop unless you are racing and they start to fade on you.:eek:

angelsneverlose

You should really watch how you talk to people you dont know:banghead:. This post is rather uncalled for an assumes alot... You sound like your giving info right out of a MSF class! Racers or people who ride hard, do NOT use 4 fingers to stop, they use 2, thus being able to blip the throatal when down shifting.... 4 fingers is for noobs.

I am not new to riding a motorcycle, so i dont need a MFS course to learn how to stop (i did take this back when i first got my license though and recommend it!). Ive had to do emergency stops before where the entire rear of the bike has lifted and bounced. ALso, I go to the track on my R6 ~4 times a year, and ride in the advanced group now. so i know how to ride, and i know how to brake... Have you ever been going 150 down a back stretch with a sudden hult to 70 to make the first turn?

anyways,
this issue is asking if anyone else has to pull the lever this much on their FZ6Rs! Not about rider skill, in which i have plunty to know how to lock up the front tire. It appears other do not have this issue, so i know know to try adjusting some other things, or bring it back to the dealer saying WTF before me or my fiance gets hurt:eek:

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

angelsneverlose

'nuff said....

being a skilled rider and being skilled at motorcycle maintenance/troubleshooting is not always the same... some have little to no maintenance experience, some have little to no riding experience....

some have little to no tact when they are called out.
thank you...

And to yaman, i wont lie; I do not work on my bikes except basic things (not that i said i did). I dont mind paying someone to do to i trust, and most of my friends are very skilled mechanics so they do anything i need. Just because i cant take it apart and put it back togather, has nothing to do with whether or not i can ride it ;). Geeze, some people, :banghead:.

Anyways, brought it to the shop after work today, they put it on adjustment 1, and also added more fluid and now she works like a charm! Thanks all!
:wav:

JonKerr

Elite Member