From supersport to FZ6R?

Chevyfazer

One thing I'd point out about the FZ6 vs. the FZ6R is that from what I've read, the FZ6 is similar to the R6 in that its power and torque don't kick in until the revs are pretty high. If you're looking to avoid having to down shift when riding in town, the FZ6R has a slight advantage I believe in that respect.
It is more of a "peaky" engine than the 6R but still nothing compared to the r6 in terms of tq. Ive rode all 3 and the main difference in tq is from idle to about 4k between the 6R and the fz6, but the fz6 still feels way more powerful than the r6 under 8k. The fz6 does feel kinda of gutless below 4k but at 5k it feels like it pulls way harder than the 6R. The best way to describe it imho is like turbo lag.

kromp

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it!

I did take a look at the FZ8, and it seems like a fine bike as well. But as some people already mentioned, on this bike I'm looking for *reasonable* power. My big problem with the supersports, especially the 1000, is that most of the time I'm entirely within the bottom third of the tach, because going higher than that is frankly just unsafe and/or illegal on actual road circumstances. I suspect it might be fun to have a bike where I can really twist the throttle when I want to get up and go, rather than having to baby it all the time. But it's definitely a valid point that there might be some system shock in going to a less powerful class of bike. I wish I could test ride one; I'll have to see what I can work out.

I definitely like the fairing, as I've never been a fan of the half-faired look. It just looks like they forgot to bolt the fairing back on. Should looks be a determining factor? Probably not, but I can't help it! The looks, along with the price point and the good mileage are all pretty compelling. Going

I think at this point I'm probably just coming up with excuses to justify a decision that I've already made :p

More questions: Is freeway riding fairly comfortable on this bike (i.e. not an excessive amount of vibration), as well as pair riding? I don't do much of either, but I don't want to find myself in a situation where either of those is uncomfortable. I'd definitely like to take some road trips, although those will probably be solo. I'm 6'3" ~215lb, for whatever that would factor in.

EDIT: I noticed that BKP commented on this already, thanks!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

rmbeuc

A litttle backstory here:

I'd rate myself as an intermediate level of rider, having ridden supersports for two years now. I currently own a 2007 R6 and a 2008 CBR1000RR; both of these are actually very good bikes and I enjoy riding either. But... I really don't need to own two supersports, and I'm looking to get something that I can ride slower and longer and still have a good time! I'm honestly partial to the R6 over the CBR, but I feel like if I need to pick one to hold onto, I might as well keep the crazier of the two and trade out the "slower" one for something more appropriate for street driving.

That said, because I was very happy with the R6, I'm very interested in looking for other bikes in the Yamaha family, which led me looking into the FZ6R. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen, and it looks like a great value for what it offers and for what I'm looking for. What concerns me, though, is a ton of language and marketingspeak on the Yamaha site and on reviews elsewhere throughout the Web that characterize it as a "starter bike". I'm not a beginner, and I certainly don't need training wheels. But the horsepower and top speed on this bike seem to be well out of that range, and right in the range I'm looking for.

So, I want a commuter bike with a comfortable, upright riding position, with enough power to potentially carry me through long highway rides on occasion, but not so much power that I feel tempted to blow past the speed limit all the time. I want good handling, in line with the sport bike styling, but I don't need *superb* handling and control. Ideally this bike is reliable relatively easy to work on, at least for routine maintenance.

Will the FZ6R meet my needs, or what?
6R is great, a little on the light side for power but there is enough there to keep you happy. Great commuter bike!

Last edited:

RooKie

More questions: Is freeway riding fairly comfortable on this bike (i.e. not an excessive amount of vibration), as well as pair riding? I don't do much of either, but I don't want to find myself in a situation where either of those is uncomfortable. I'd definitely like to take some road trips, although those will probably be solo. I'm 6'3" ~215lb, for whatever that would factor in.
Like JT-FZ6R-2012 said, the vibration is hardly noticeable and long rides are not uncomfortable at all. I've taken 4 hour rides (only taking breaks to refuel) and have been perfectly fine. For your height and weight you'll just have to play around with the suspension until you get something you like. I'm 5'7, 155lbs and have the rear suspension set to 2 (second to softest setting). Used to have it set to 4 but the stiffness made the vibration very noticeable and I would end up with numb cheeks after a 1hr15min freeway ride.

RoadTrip

I believe someone joined this forum awhile back who had converted from a 600SS to the FZ6R, he seemed happy with the 6R - of course that's a 600 to 600 and they are similar up to a point.

Sounds like the 6R could be a good second bike for you, why have two SS's really, and yeah, I would keep the liter for a bigger delta between bikes. Now, if you were trading both bikes and stepping down in power to the 6R, then I could see some frustration when wanting to occasionally hammer it, but since you will have both, you can just ride the bike that fits your mood.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Detrich

Most ppl i know who've moved up to liter bikes say they can never go back to 600cc. The instantaneous power & torque are supposedly great for city riding and for track. The R1's riding position is only slightly less aggressive than the R6- ie barely noticeable. The FZ6R is going to be more convenient & more comfortable for commuting and longer rides. Unless u r sized like the jolly green giant, the power is more than sufficient.

kromp

I'm sure that an FZ1 would be pretty cool, but at this point in time I just feel like it would be counterproductive for what I'm looking for. Which is, at least in part, fewer speeding tickets :p

Chevyfazer

I'm sure that an FZ1 would be pretty cool, but at this point in time I just feel like it would be counterproductive for what I'm looking for. Which is, at least in part, fewer speeding tickets :p
Its all about self control! I actually find myself riding more recklessly on my klr 650 than I do on my fz6. I often catch myself in the middle of doing something on it and mentally kick myself in the nuts saying "WTF are you thinking!!!"

Rookasaki

There's a big gap in power when your talking about an SS vs FZ6R. My guess is you would be disappointed in the 6R when your talking power/acceleration. As someone mentioned above, it would be like going from a 600cc to a 250. Throwing a exhaust and power commander does make it a lot better. The 6R is however very comfy on the freeway and it's an excellent bike to ride around town.

popeye

Seriously were else would you find such a knowledgeable and caring audience to answer all your questions .
These guys made my decision very easy and i thank them for it.:D:D:D:D

Do yourself a favour a get the 6r you will not regret it .(and if by any slim chance you do). Its a Yamaha it holds its value and you can trade in and move on.
But you will always be welcome here even as an ex 6r owner :D:D

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Rookasaki

I recently got my wife a 250cc and on the drive home I thought something was wrong with it because it was so slow....

However, I feel the 6R has just enough power to not get bored with it. If you want more power, jump on your cbr or r6 (whichever you decide to keep). I've never ridden a smoother, easier to ride bike. That, and it looks great
Don't get me wrong, the 6R was one of the best bikes I've owned. You won't get bored with the power, unless, you jump on a SS and catch the horse power bug! I think my Kawi has 113hp at the wheel, I personally couldn't get anything less now. The acceleration and pull I get is just to addicting.

kromp

Thanks again for all your input, folks! If I can get a decent deal around here for one of these bikes, I'm totally onboard!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member