From supersport to FZ6R?

kromp

A litttle backstory here:

I'd rate myself as an intermediate level of rider, having ridden supersports for two years now. I currently own a 2007 R6 and a 2008 CBR1000RR; both of these are actually very good bikes and I enjoy riding either. But... I really don't need to own two supersports, and I'm looking to get something that I can ride slower and longer and still have a good time! I'm honestly partial to the R6 over the CBR, but I feel like if I need to pick one to hold onto, I might as well keep the crazier of the two and trade out the "slower" one for something more appropriate for street driving.

That said, because I was very happy with the R6, I'm very interested in looking for other bikes in the Yamaha family, which led me looking into the FZ6R. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen, and it looks like a great value for what it offers and for what I'm looking for. What concerns me, though, is a ton of language and marketingspeak on the Yamaha site and on reviews elsewhere throughout the Web that characterize it as a "starter bike". I'm not a beginner, and I certainly don't need training wheels. But the horsepower and top speed on this bike seem to be well out of that range, and right in the range I'm looking for.

So, I want a commuter bike with a comfortable, upright riding position, with enough power to potentially carry me through long highway rides on occasion, but not so much power that I feel tempted to blow past the speed limit all the time. I want good handling, in line with the sport bike styling, but I don't need *superb* handling and control. Ideally this bike is reliable relatively easy to work on, at least for routine maintenance.

Will the FZ6R meet my needs, or what?

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

StarZero81

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

RooKie

IMO at least the way I ride. you can still get a ticket really easily on this "nimble" bike. I get that he is usto much more power but hes asking for a bike that will reminds him hes should be taking it easy. he mentions keeping one of his current bikes so that he can take that power out on a joy ride ocasionaly. to me FZ6R makes perfect sense. if he got rid og both current bikes then agreed go with an FZ8
You're right, the FZ6R does everything he wants, but the power delivery may not be adequate for someone used to SS motorcycles. It would be like us going from our 6R to a 250cc (I've never ridden one, but I wouldn't be happy with anything less than what I have now). With the 6R he may grow bored quickly and end up upgrading to an FZ8 anyways. As mentioned before, the FZ8 delivers everything the 6R does, but with a bit more "kick" to it.

Test riding is definitely the best option.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Something else to consider is operating cost. A 6R costs an awful lot less to run than an FZ1. I would have to guess an FZ8 would be closer to the 1 than the 6R. I used to get 10 000km out of a rear tire on my 6R, which cost $125 to replace, now it's closer to 5500at $175. My 6R got better fuel mileage than my boss' TDI, my FZ1 is worse on fuel than my Civic. The 6R is not a lightning bolt, but it is plenty fast when you ask and handles well. The bigger bikes do see a handling advantage as well as the extra power, but the FZ6R handles well enough for some pretty fun street riding, and is very economical to run I'm sure there are plenty of suspension mods to help out, as well. If I could afford 2 bikes, I'd have my naked FZ1 for weekends and shows, and I'd use a 6R for daily duty to work and such. Either that or have my FZ1 for the street and find a YSR80 for a fun bike.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

There is always the used bike market as well, if you want the comfort of the 6R with the power of the fz8 but dont like naked bikes then go for the 04-09 fz6. They can be picked up dirt cheep and offer just about the most bang for your buck out of any motorcycle on the road today new or used.

BKP

A litttle backstory here:

I'd rate myself as an intermediate level of rider, having ridden supersports for two years now. I currently own a 2007 R6 and a 2008 CBR1000RR; both of these are actually very good bikes and I enjoy riding either. But... I really don't need to own two supersports, and I'm looking to get something that I can ride slower and longer and still have a good time! I'm honestly partial to the R6 over the CBR, but I feel like if I need to pick one to hold onto, I might as well keep the crazier of the two and trade out the "slower" one for something more appropriate for street driving.

That said, because I was very happy with the R6, I'm very interested in looking for other bikes in the Yamaha family, which led me looking into the FZ6R. So far I'm impressed with what I've seen, and it looks like a great value for what it offers and for what I'm looking for. What concerns me, though, is a ton of language and marketingspeak on the Yamaha site and on reviews elsewhere throughout the Web that characterize it as a "starter bike". I'm not a beginner, and I certainly don't need training wheels. But the horsepower and top speed on this bike seem to be well out of that range, and right in the range I'm looking for.

So, I want a commuter bike with a comfortable, upright riding position, with enough power to potentially carry me through long highway rides on occasion, but not so much power that I feel tempted to blow past the speed limit all the time. I want good handling, in line with the sport bike styling, but I don't need *superb* handling and control. Ideally this bike is reliable relatively easy to work on, at least for routine maintenance.

Will the FZ6R meet my needs, or what?
I understand the sentiments of those suggesting the FZ8 or FZ1, for you, but I disagree with them, based on what you seem to be looking for. You're getting rid of a Supersport, because you've got two. So, you've got the ergos, and a bike that can crank and leave most in the dust on the autobahn. Sounds like you're looking for something different. A good around town, and occasional trip bike -- not a SS's forte... That usually translates into economy, comfort, utility, reliability, aesthetics (which always count), *plus* being able to twist it when you want it and pull out of the traffic...

I really don't don't see the FZ8 or FZ1 having an advantage over the FZ6R, for those requisites, *especially* if you've got a crotch rocket at home. I cruise comfortably, at 80, most of the time... I've been over 100 multiple times without making it breathe too hard at all... It's nimble as hell for the weekend country rides, and I can run 170, 180 miles without worrying about a gas station... Insurance is negligible, and maintenance is cake.

And, if you feel you need a >130mph kick, you've got your SS waiting at home...

It won't shift as smoothly as your SS, however, in my experience >5.5k shifting is butter smooth... It won't chew up your tires, or gulp gas as readily, and after 30 minutes I can guarantee you won't feel like a baked pretzel...

You'll get compliments, and you still won't feel as reticent to put a tank bag, or top case on it, as you would on a SS...

And, if you're anything like me, in the number of "jump-on-it-and-run-an-errand" type rides you take, when you walk into the garage and you have both bikes sitting there, it'll be the 6R you throw a leg over...

All that being said... I agree with everyone else... demo days at Yamaha...

Chevyfazer

So info that might help you make your decision

04-09 FZ6 hp-98. Tq-46 04-06 wet weight 423 07-09 wet weight 460

09-current FZ6R. Hp-66. Tq-40. Wet weight 470

Fz8. Hp-105. Tq-60. Wet weight 470

All this was taken from bikez.com so if something is a #or 2 off blame them not me lol

But all 3 bikes have pretty much the same exact riding position it's just a matter of what look you like (fully faired, naked, or half faired) how much money you want to spend, and what kind of performance your looking for

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Nyuu

I agree fully with BKP. You've got an SS. You're looking for a non-SS that is still fun. The FZ6R is perfect. Test ride to make sure you'll enjoy the ride, but if you really aren't looking to have two SSs, get the FZ6R.