Finally----TravisH3's projector retro-fit FZ6R

travisH3

well I have finally taken the plunge! been wanting to do this for a while and I knew i didnt want to do a hid kit in the stock housing because it just doesnt do very good as far as a high and low beam and i need more light because i sometimes forget to switch out visors and end up getting stuck riding at night with a light smoke icon windscreen and the factory lighting SUCKS. i really wanted to do my truck but i figured i would start with my bike because i only have to mess with one headlight for my first try lol

So I had a few questions i wanted to ask and pm'd Chad(rabbitman109) because he seems to be the retrofit genius around here. he answered all my questions and mentioned he could order the parts i need for a better cost also so he really helped me out a ton.

what i ordered from The Retrofit Source- keep in mind some of the links are for a pair of the item when you only need ONE. i just posted links so you could see what you need. TRS can put together a single package for a motorcycle and it will be alot cheaper!

Single morimoto Mini H1 6.0 projector(LHD) part# MH16-LH
(this link is for a pair of projectors, you only need one) Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 Bi-xenon - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source
Ballast- AMP: Morimoto 3five DSP (35watt) part# 35AMP
(this link is for a pair of ballasts, you only need one) Morimoto 3Five Ballasts (AMP) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc
HID bulb- H1 3five 5000k part# H1-5k
(this link is for a pair of bulbs, you only need one) H1: Morimoto 3Five - HID Bulbs - Components
Gatlin gun shroud part# GAT-P
(this link is for a pair of shrouds, you only need one) Panamera - Projector Shrouds from The Retrofit Source
100mm white LED halo(size depends on shroud you choose) part# LEDRING-100W
(this link is for a pair of LED's, you only need one) Morimoto XB LED Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc
H4: single output motorcycle wiring harness part# CYCLE-H4SINGLE
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/harnesses/morimoto-h4-motorcycle-wire-harness.html#.U0LqpPldXEg
Mini H1 Centric Rings (i didnt use the centric ring, or else the shroud prolly would have hit the lens anyways) part# CENTRIC-H1
(this link is for a pair of centric rings, you only need one) http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/shrouds/shrouds-centric-rings.html#.U0LrKPldXEg

I disassembled the front end of the bike to get the headlight out. took me about 20 minutes to get it all taken apart. Ive had it all out before when i did my flushmounts and turn signals in the front air dams.

street fighter status LOL

once i got the headlight out, i removed the bulb, bulb retainer, the 3 screws holding in the back, and the 2 little rubber caps on the back of the headlight. I heated the oven up to 250 degrees and put foil on the rack. turned the oven off and put the headlight in for 8 minutes. pulled it out and started working it with a small puddy knife so i didnt hurt the housing. the light came apart first time i heated it up surprisingly. once you get each clip undone i just worked my way around it and it came right apart easily. to be honest this was the part i was nervous about and it seriously was a breeze. the look on my moms face when she seen what i was doing was hilarious. she obviously didnt have faith in me but she said she was more worried about her $5000 oven versus my headlight.

next is to decide on which paint. Im thinking to do the housing and the reflector matte black or gloss black, but for the projector shroud should i leave it chrome, paint it black, or red? or maybe black with where the led shines out of the vents of the shroud do red stripes come out of the vents? what do you guys think? heres a pic of the bike. stay tuned for more progress. chad is ordering everything tomorrow so not sure when i will be able to start test fitting the projector and shroud but i will update you all as i move along. let me know what ya guys think as far as paint color

Last edited:

rhnatyk

Thanks for the write-up. I think the key to your success was using that "small puddy night". I know I use mine all the time for jobs like this :D

travisH3

Thanks for the write-up. I think the key to your success was using that "small puddy night". I know I use mine all the time for jobs like this :D
yeah, i think using a screw driver would have been too skinny and just marked up the housing prying it apart.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

travisH3

Funny, I use a screw driver and don't leave any marks....;)

Anyway, looks like you got a good start! I am glad that I could help you. You definitely were thorough in your question answering. If you want my opinion...

You're going to need to paint the shroud, because once you see how much you will have to trim, you will see that you will have to paint to hid the color of the plastic where the chrome isn't any more. You will be surprised what you will see once it is installed. I like the two color idea...black and red...like this:

I like to get all my information i can before i dive in hahahaha. thanks for the pictures. i think i like the black and red for sure! besides the forks and viper can my bike is all black. i plasti-dipped the handle bars black so all black with red accent will prolly go well with the bike. i like the silver though too because that would match the forks and viper can lol

Last edited:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

travisH3

I am not a big red guy...I like it as little accents but there is to much on rabbits example....

I would leave it silver...I am partial to black silver and blue though.
the red may be kinda cheap looking in there. idk. im liking the black and silver now that i think about it

travisH3

just scored a set of like new 08 zx6r mirrors off the kawi-forums. heck if we are going all out with this headlight, might as well go off with the rabbit ear mirrors lol. hopefully they have a better view since they stick out straighter. i find my self having to squeeze my elbows in to see behind me.

travisH3

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

travisH3

My guess is that he missed it just like I did. It is one of those things where you are reading something and totally see the correct word even though it isn't. Nice catch!! :thumbup:
yeah i remember seeing it and just figured he typed the wrong thing but it ended up being me typing the wrong words lol.

engineered2win

just scored a set of like new 08 zx6r mirrors off the kawi-forums. heck if we are going all out with this headlight, might as well go off with the rabbit ear mirrors lol. hopefully they have a better view since they stick out straighter. i find my self having to squeeze my elbows in to see behind me.
My ZX10R mirrors made a big improvement to rearward visibility. The stock mirrors were blocked by my torso from clearly seeing rearward and I'm 5'10" 160lbs. The ZX10R are lower and wider so you can clearly see behind. Add to the fact that they come with front turn signals, which I switched out for slimline LED's, and overall visibility is improved. You might want to make a shim out of plastic or aluminum to to go between the fairing and the ZX6R mirrors. I've seen guys on here just bolt them on as is, but the ZX6R mirrors don't have the rubber cover over the mounting flange and it's not a very clean install. They don't mount flush with the fairing, but an oval 1/8" shim fixes that.

Last edited:

travisH3

My ZX10R mirrors made a big improvement to rearward visibility. The stock mirrors were blocked by my torso from clearly seeing rearward and I'm 5'10" 160lbs. The ZX10R are lower and wider so you can clearly see behind. Add to the fact that they come with front turn signals, which I switched out for slimline LED's, and overall visibility is improved. You might want to make a shim out of plastic or aluminum to to go between the fairing and the ZX6R mirrors. I've seen guys on here just bolt them on as is, but the ZX6R mirrors don't have the rubber cover over the mounting flange and it's not a very clean install. They don't mount flush with the fairing, but an oval 1/8" shim fixes that.
thanks, i didnt know the zx10r mirrors with signals worked? got a link to the ones you bought? i may buy them lol. I just bought the standard 07-08 zx6r mirrors. yes i plan to make a rubber gasket for them, if not just cut the factory boot if i dont have anything. thanks for the heads up

travisH3

hey everyone. parts from TRS showed up today so i got right to work. was so excited i forgot to eat dinner lol. i had already primed the light as you can see in the second picture but i decided instead of trimming the shroud i was going to trim the reflector housing to keep the shroud whole. I had to still shorten the shroud a little at the bottom but not too bad. got all the holes drilled for the leds to pass through for the led halo behind the shroud. i decided to go all black and leave the details on the shroud chrome since my bike isnt 100% blacked out. got it all mocked up and the primered and painted. the lights are drying now so tomorrow afternoon i will start assembling the light and should have it ready to go tomorrow and have the bike back together this weekend. so far it hasnt been too difficult at all. mine is a little more work than normal because i went with a shroud that was bigger and doesnt fit the housing so thats why i had to do some trimming. alot of trimming, assembling, trimming, assembling....etc to get it to fit the way i want it to.

heres some pics

where i made my first cut and just widened it slowly until it fit

the paint booth lol I used rustoleum flat grey primer(for plastic) and semi-gloss black rustoleum(again, for plastic). for prep work i used sand paper and roughed up all the chrome to give the paint something to adhere too. for those wondering how i painted the shroud i just put blue painters tape over the parts i wanted to stay chrome and when the final coat was dry to the touch i pulled the tape off so that the tape didnt get stuck down after the painted fully cured. the pieces of plastic to the left are the square piece I cut out of the housing and the two slivers of plastic are what i trimmed off the bottom of the shroud. i used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel for all my cutting and a sanding bit to clean everything up.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

travisH3

Looking good Travis! You will be amazed when you get that back on your bike.
I KNOW!!!! tracking number for the mirrors says they should be delivered tomorrow so right on time for re-assembly of the bike! i may order frame sliders on amazon prime tonight and they should get here saturday. thats really the only thing left i still want.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

travisH3

Then it's time to ride!:cool:
Yup but i think i just heard we had another chance of snow in a few days, this stuff is getting old. we dont have any salt left for the streets so they are putting down a rock/sand/salt mix. i rode a few days after once the streets dried up and all those rocks/sand made riding quite nerve-racking.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member