Fender Eliminator

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Pizz

I installed the Targa Fender Eliminator last night. Looks great, but there aren't any running lights in the turn signals.

Is this normal?

Comiha22

Pizz - I think the Targa FE's signals are sans running lights, but I'll defer to other members.

On a side note, how was the install? I have the Targa FE sitting in my garage now; planning on installing it along with my K&N air filter and Phillips Lockhart Flushmounts this weekend.

Pizz

The install was easy. The fact that the signal lights come with the proper connectors makes the electrical easy. The LED plate light looks sweet. You need to crimp on two bullet connectors (provided in the kit) for it's install, but that's easy.

mchury

Pizz - I think the Targa FE's signals are sans running lights, but I'll defer to other members.

On a side note, how was the install? I have the Targa FE sitting in my garage now; planning on installing it along with my K&N air filter and Phillips Lockhart Flushmounts this weekend.
how much is that k&n filter supposed to help you out????

Comiha22

Pizz - Thanks for the info; looking forward to a cleaned-up backside.

mchury - Probably not much at all. I've seen people on here say it gave a little bit of extra low-end torque, but I guess I just did it to do it. I'll let you know if I see a difference.

Roaddawg

I installed the Targa Fender Eliminator last night. Looks great, but there aren't any running lights in the turn signals.

Is this normal?
Yeah. Only the front turn signals are running lights. The rears never were.

Pizz

Thanks, I checked the connectors last night and they are two wire, instead of the three wire up front for running lights.

Roaddawg

FYI, Joloy bought a little unit that converted the rear turn signals to running lights as well as brake lights. When we went on a ride a few months back, I was able to view it in action. It gave more rear visibility to the bike. Something to look into if your wanting more safety. He could give you more info.

joloy133

The funny thing is that on a dry track the guy is just average, but add lots of rain and he will win the race with many seconds ahead of second place :)
What can I say, some people are just talented like that.
LOL ..... really,"...this guy is just average,..." On any track I wish I could have that guys talent, he gets paid to ride!

MikeN02

Got my custom made FE, though I'm disappointed in the wire tucking, mainly because I have no where to tuck them.
Update: Today I was riding to work and was at a red light. A cop pulled up on my left hand side on a left turn lane. He pulled up a little bit further and said "Hey" then I lifted my visor up and looked at him.

He said, "pull your tag down" I gave him the nod and he made a U turn, I left and was a little paranoid if he was going to follow me but I didn't see him.

So now I have to make a FE that points my plate straight down, thing is I set my shocks a little soft and I lowered it because I'm short. Now I have to worry about going over pot holes etc for my plate to jam in my rear tire and possibly cost me my life.

Roaddawg

Update: Today I was riding to work and was at a red light. A cop pulled up on my left hand side on a left turn lane. He pulled up a little bit further and said "Hey" then I lifted my visor up and looked at him.

He said, "pull your tag down" I gave him the nod and he made a U turn, I left and was a little paranoid if he was going to follow me but I didn't see him.

So now I have to make a FE that points my plate straight down, thing is I set my shocks a little soft and I lowered it because I'm short. Now I have to worry about going over pot holes etc for my plate to jam in my rear tire and possibly cost me my life.
You are a cop magnet, aren't you?! I'd leave it until you get a fix-it ticket for it...if it's gonna rub your tire.

MikeN02

You are a cop magnet, aren't you?! I'd leave it until you get a fix-it ticket for it...if it's gonna rub your tire.
I know I am, told ya I get involved with the law/cops every month since last december.

I thought about it and was going to do that but my friend said something about how they won't believe it etc that it'll jam my tire even though it's happened to many people how their plates are bent etc.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Pompatuse

I know I am, told ya I get involved with the law/cops every month since last december.

I thought about it and was going to do that but my friend said something about how they won't believe it etc that it'll jam my tire even though it's happened to many people how their plates are bent etc.
Yeah...JonKerr called it on this one. From getting your bike almost stolen (good thing you didn't give them permission) to this. There has to be something that you are doing to draw attention. Could be in riding style or wardrobe. I wouldn't worry too much about this cop though. The chances of this same guy pulling up behind you and remembering this whole thing are slim...unless of course you live in freaking Mayberry or something.

MikeN02

Even if they to do pull you over for it, it's a fix it ticket. Put something on there to appease them and get it signed off, then put your FE back on. The only time you're really going to get hassled is if you're driving like an ass. You must be doing something to draw attention to yourself. I've been riding for 9 months now and (knock on wood) have yet to have any issues with cops. And I'm not exactly putting around either. There's got to be something you're doing. You wouldn't happen to have a helmethawk would you? I know for a fact that cops see those as a "please pull me over Mr. Officer" sign.
I did consider it a fix it ticket but I've never really heard much about how those go. Something along the lines of I get a ticket, have to show it to a officer that I did get it fixed and be on my way? I know that cops are really lenient for bikes on the illegal mods that we do (FE, turn signals, exhaust, HID lights) and that they don't really pull you over unless you're drawing attention. I don't have a helmet hawk, I think those are ugly...
Might be the under 21 underneath my plate? This is the first time a cop has talked to me about my bike.
I wear normal riding gear,
Seven O Seven vendetta strike/blue/chrome visor.
Frank Thomas XTI Text Jacket
Frank Thomas XTI Mesh Pants
AS Air Carbon Gloves
Sneakers

When I was at the light the cop was waiting for the left hand turn, I guess he was bored and looked over and thought lets see... probably some punk guy etc etc. It was a pretty young looking cop too.

Yeah...JonKerr called it on this one. From getting your bike almost stolen (good thing you didn't give them permission) to this. There has to be something that you are doing to draw attention. Could be in riding style or wardrobe. I wouldn't worry too much about this cop though. The chances of this same guy pulling up behind you and remembering this whole thing are slim...unless of course you live in freaking Mayberry or something.
Well, to be honest it was a guy that my brother knew and they aren't on good terms etc. I really have no idea why I'm drawing so much attention to cops, it's been every month since december.

I think it's because I'm more active now, I used to sit inside the house and play video games all day and not get in trouble. Now I go out everyday... to the gym, fishing (hadn't gone in 8 years), and just plain out exploring roads etc.

GG6

Ok... just got mine the other day (09 pearl white) and my BF helped me get rid of the fender. I don't see spending big bucks for this, so we just took the aluminum inspection sticker plate and turned it upside down, drilled out the holes, bent it back and added a light bracket with new lights. Looks great!!

FZ6Raven

Ok... just got mine the other day (09 pearl white) and my BF helped me get rid of the fender. I don't see spending big bucks for this, so we just took the aluminum inspection sticker plate and turned it upside down, drilled out the holes, bent it back and added a light bracket with new lights. Looks great!!
Pictures would be nice! :)

vitrox

i'm amazed how many people waste 50-100 bucks on a fender eliminator. Get a integrated tail light and go to home depot, buy 2 stanley L brackets for 3 bucks and bolt them to the bike, and mount the plate.