Engine shutting off while switching gears

FZ6Rrider

Hey guys
I just joined these forums, so first of all, hello everyone =)
Now on to buisness. I just bought my Yamaha FZ6R about a month ago, and already went in for my first scheduled maintenance last week (Everything was looking great at the time)
I had this happen three times to me and it's worrying me quite a bit. When I first take the bike out, I'l let it warm up for about a min, and right away when I get out of the driveway, I have to go up a hill. when I switch from 2nd-3rd gear the engine suddenly shuts off for no apparent reason.
a few things to note.
It will always start up again right away.
I'm only in the 3000-4000rpm zone when I switch gears
I'm not tripping the kill switch
this only happens when I first take my bike out, when the engine is cold

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, (I could very well be doing something wrong, this is my first bike and I'm not very experienced)
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreatiated. thank you

N

nccoder

Hey guys
Now on to buisness. I just bought my Yamaha FZ6R about a month ago, and already went in for my first scheduled maintenance last week (Everything was looking great at the time)
I had this happen three times to me and it's worrying me quite a bit. When I first take the bike out, I'l let it warm up for about a min, and right away when I get out of the driveway, I have to go up a hill. when I switch from 2nd-3rd gear the engine suddenly shuts off for no apparent reason.
a few things to note.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, (I could very well be doing something wrong, this is my first bike and I'm not very experienced)
:welcome: to the forum! Lot's of fun and info here. Although my real name is nccoder I am disguised as a meek and mild mannered humanoid named "Cliff" :welcome:

I've had this happen, but only in 6th gear, and only when I hadn't let the engine warm up. It's better if you let the engine warm up. This is even more critical during your break in period. If you must ride your bike with the engine cold, go easy on the throttle and also don't lug the engine. Better to warm it up...

Let it idle for at least 2 minutes before take off and see what happens. I never had this problem on my FZ6R.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I've never let the engine warm up on my bike and have never had any issues. The FZ6R is fuel injected so it shouldn't really need to warm up, not like a carb'ed bike.

You said you have to travel up a hill and that you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear at 3-4000 rpm. My thought is that you are lugging the engine enough that it stalls out. Next time you go up the hill, leave the bike in 2nd gear and use the upper rpm range for the power to get up the hill.

BTW, :welcome: You are going to really enjoy this forum. Lots of good people and information in here! :thumbup:

joloy133

I don't warm up the bike that much either, 1 min. max. The sweetspot for shifting is at 5000-6000 rpm. The bike likes the rpms. I agree with 99V. On side note, the break-in period is too long, and the rings seat in a way shorter time. (Its a controversial topic but many experienced cyclists and racers who tear down their bikes and rebuild between races agree.) At about 400 mi. I just rode it and raked it through the gears to 8000. My bike now at 2400+ mi is getting 45 mpg combined riding. Don't be afraid to run rpms, keeping it at steady 4000 for x amount of miles is no good, IMO.

FZ6Rrider

thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try everything you suggested, (letting it warm for a 2 min & give it some more throttle when I go up hills) and if It ever happens again, I'l just bring it back to the dealer, I still have my 1 year warrenty on it.

I'm thinking worst case scenario I have a loose sensor =)

V

VEGASRIDER

Some of us, fortunately not me, have had problems with our kill switch on the FZ's. It might be that.

Or how is your sidestand? Is it loose or all the way up? Not having the sidestand fully upright and locked may result the stand to come down while riding, resulting in an immediate cut off to the engine. Look for the basic first.

atomoverride

Some of us, fortunately not me, have had problems with our kill switch on the FZ's. It might be that.

Or how is your sidestand? Is it loose or all the way up? Not having the sidestand fully upright and locked may result the stand to come down while riding, resulting in an immediate cut off to the engine. Look for the basic first.
I noticed at slow speeds, no matter what gear I was in if the kick stand comes down just a little bit the engine would cut off. Check your foot placements, maybe your tapping on the kickstand when your shifting.

A

Atron

well my kickstand is not so sensitive it shuts the engine at about half way down... but never happened to me that engine would shut off while switching gears even if i drove at 2500 rpms.. switched..drive at 2000 slightly up a hill.. maybe you have some sensor problem..

fz6rwolf

3-4k rpm's shouldn't lug it to shut down. There's gotta be something else going on there. I'd think the kickstand shut off switch if it were that wouldn't just happen when bike is cold as the OP stated. Maybe fuel sensor or fuel pump not working right since he says it's while going up hill.

A

Atron

in any case why bother? you still have warranty do you not? take it to the dealer

xplodnstar

Hey guys
a few things to note.

I had this exact same problem for a few weeks. Although I have a stop sign right around the corner from the house, so I didn't have a chance to change gears, just pull in the clutch.

I tried warming the bike up longer. I tried revving higher. I tried shifting to second in the short 50 ft I have to the stop. Each of these only worked sometimes. What I did get to work was turning up the idle. I brought it back up to @ 1100-1200 RPM once warm (110-120 deg F or so). It's very possible the shop lowered your idle at the service just a little too low.

Take a fairly long Phillips head screwdriver and use it to turn the screw hiding between the tank and the frame on your left side (as sitting on the bike). I don't remember which direction to turn, but try both slowly and get your idle back to just over 1000 RPMs.

This should fix the issue. If not, then take it back to the shop.

MNDZA

I've never let the engine warm up on my bike and have never had any issues. The FZ6R is fuel injected so it shouldn't really need to warm up, not like a carb'ed bike.

You said you have to travel up a hill and that you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear at 3-4000 rpm. My thought is that you are lugging the engine enough that it stalls out. Next time you go up the hill, leave the bike in 2nd gear and use the upper rpm range for the power to get up the hill.

BTW, :welcome: You are going to really enjoy this forum. Lots of good people and information in here! :thumbup:
I notice that if I don't let the engine temp go above the "lo" indication, revving it will actually cause a drop in rpms....weird. If I let it warm up past low then everything is normal.

Verranth

I notice that if I don't let the engine temp go above the "lo" indication, revving it will actually cause a drop in rpms....weird. If I let it warm up past low then everything is normal.
Thats really wierd. I noticed that when I revved the bike, the idle would go up a little and then come down. It wasnt until the bike was fully warmed up that the rev went up to 1200rpm. Its wierd to see the idle go up after its warm. I thought that it should be the other way around. If the engine is warm, the idle RPM should be at its lowest setting. Maybe its time I read that thread about throtle bodies and adjusting the idle a little lower. :thumbup:

Bigevildoer

I noticed this too - doesn't really "lower the RPM" but it definitely has a bit of a stutter before going up RPM.

Worst thing I've noticed is that the power of the bike is abysmal from the 1-3000 rpm range while the temperature gauge is still reading "Lo". Get it above 3000 rpm, and everything's normal.

So, I learned, and now never go anywhere when the bike is still reading low temperature.

Later!

MARTIN

Hey, i have the same problem but when the bike reaches its normal tempertura afeter riding for more than 1 hour. After that, when i go from first gear to second geat it turns off !!! It has happen to me several times when I drive in the city and i get stuck in a traffic jam.

COULD ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME !!

Detrich

just to clarify, is there a distinction here between "stalling" vs. shutting off? ie is it shutting off even with the clutch pulled in all the way?

Insure Gal

+1 on that... I had the same thing happen to me on a steep hill a few weeks back, thought that I had geared down enough but nope and off she shut:rolleyes::eek:
Our bike is a little torque monster after all and she likes to pull!

MARTIN

It happens to me after a traffic jam and it TURNS OFF when i am in first gear and want to go to second. it happens when i press the clutch and im tryng to get the gear up to second. Just in that moment ( 1 second or less) it happens. But there is no way its a driving mistake. Its seems to me it is more of a mechanical problem. Any explanation ? ( I'm making the gear change in 4 - 6 thousand rev) .. PLEASE HELP

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member