Elderly rider struck by driver who ran stop sign

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
By an officer, none-the-less!! I hope they don't let him off! That's inexcusable! :rant:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Mart Man FZ6R

"There is a law enforcement exemption that allows police to use mobile data units, such as computers, in their vehicles while driving."

we aren't supposed to talk on a cell while driving, but a cop can surf the web? and hit someone while doing it? with no repercussions?
sweet...
Yeah, this is crap. Cops aren't above distraction (obviously) and she be focused on the road when driving.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Just because the Officer is allowed to enter data on a computer does not excuse the FACT that he ran a stop sign and caused an accident.

The Officer should be cited for running a stop sign and the victim should be compensated above and beyond the motorcycle repair and medical costs to include pain and suffering because of the failure to stop by the Officer.

CDN6R

OK my Turn,, I agree with all the above comments. I feel that police in general,feel that they are above the law and can do what they want. One afternoon last year,the school bus was dropping off my daughter and a RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) patrol car approached,slowed and kept going past the bus(bus was in left lane,RCMP in right lane) even though the bus had the Red Lights flashing and had just stopped. Unfortunately I did not get the number on the back of the patrol car:mad:

Rat

With respect to all comments above and by watching that video it seems to me the rider just ignored rolling police car and did not even try to swerve or slowdown... Police officer is guilty of course but the rider should be more careful too, especially on intersections... Wish him get well soon.

Last edited:

bjs045

With respect to all comments above and by watching that video it seems to me the rider just ignored rolling police car and did not even try to swerve or slowdown... Police officer is guilty of course but the rider should be more careful too, especially on intersections... Wish him get well soon.
Definitely agree with you. Another point (with respect to all), but should a man of his age be on two wheels? I worry about my grandparents on 4 wheels!

Mart Man FZ6R

Definitely agree with you. Another point (with respect to all), but should a man of his age be on two wheels? I worry about my grandparents on 4 wheels!
This is a tough one because age isn't an indication of ability. I've seen guys in their 70's that looked like they were in their 50's and sharp as a tack. They shouldn't be punished because others are not capable. I hope to still be riding when I'm in my 70's if I'm lucky enough to live that long.

bjs045

This is a tough one because age isn't an indication of ability. I've seen guys in their 70's that looked like they were in their 50's and sharp as a tack. They shouldn't be punished because others are not capable. I hope to still be riding when I'm in my 70's if I'm lucky enough to live that long.
Oh I totally agree with you. I hope to ride at that age too, but my worries aren't so much about the mental sharpness. It's the physical agility and reaction process to elude potential dangers are my concern. Looking at the video again and again supports it.

husker525

Oh I totally agree with you. I hope to ride at that age too, but my worries aren't so much about the mental sharpness. It's the physical agility and reaction process to elude potential dangers are my concern. Looking at the video again and again supports it.
I totally agree with you. This particular case is sickening. I wonder how much of what was printed was accurate. I can't believe that the agency would not discipline the officer, and would even release what discipline or lack of discipline would even take place.

I have a friend that is 76 and a retired Pro Mx racer, hillclimb champion, etc, etc, etc, that still rides on the street. I am sure his mental acuity is not what it used to be. Putting myself in those shoes, I would go ballistic if someone told me that I should not ride anymore, as riding is my passion, as it is many of ours.

There are so many unknown factors, not shown in the video. Fatigue on both driver's parts, what environmental distractions may have been present, view obstructions at the intersection.

Back To Reality

A 76 year old rider is entirely entitled to ride his motorcycle, and should be able to do so without worrying that another driver will pull a California stop and run him down.

In no way does the age or mental acuity of the rider have anything to do with this. If it did, you can be sure that the police would be using that talking point.

Roaddawg

I totally agree with you. This particular case is sickening. I wonder how much of what was printed was accurate. I can't believe that the agency would not discipline the officer, and would even release what discipline or lack of discipline would even take place.

I have a friend that is 76 and a retired Pro Mx racer, hillclimb champion, etc, etc, etc, that still rides on the street. I am sure his mental acuity is not what it used to be. Putting myself in those shoes, I would go ballistic if someone told me that I should not ride anymore, as riding is my passion, as it is many of ours.

There are so many unknown factors, not shown in the video. Fatigue on both driver's parts, what environmental distractions may have been present, view obstructions at the intersection.
I agree. Let's look at the source of information....because Liveleak seems like a great one! :disapprove: I can't imagine that the officer didn't get some type of disciplinary action. I'm not defending that the officer didn't screw up...he messed up big. Let's remember, cops aren't perfect despite how much people expect them to be. People make mistakes....officers make mistakes...we are all human. Unfortunately, the guy got injured because the officer was HUA. I hope the guy recovers and the department takes care of him.

JSP

Super Moderator

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member