Dog problems. Any vets here???

JSP

Super Moderator
About a month ago we noticed he had a slight limp when walking. This would come and go every few days. Did not think anything of it. It has progressively gotten worse and he could not even stand up the other night. Seemed ok the next day and now he has a constant limp at all times. He still runs, jumps, plays and acts happy.... just limps. It seems its his front leg he is favoring. I have pulled, compressed, etc and cannot get him to show any signs of pain which sucks because I cannot localize where its hurting him.

I have a vet appointment this Saturday with him... Expensive X-rays... YAY. Hope its nothing like bone cancer or anything. My daughter will be devastated. This is her best friend. She calls him her brother. I really hope he does not need surgery or anything. He is only a hair over 3 years old. Boxer/Sheltie mix.

Really worrying me though. If it was a sprain, it should have been long gone by now and not gotten worse.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If it's nothing too serious, it could be arthritis. You can treat it daily with the same supplements that people take for joint health, glucosamine and chondroitin.

Hope the vet apt. goes well.

JSP

Super Moderator
Have you looked at his paw to see if there might be a cut?
Yeah, we have gone over him like crazy. Paws are good, pads are good with no cuts. Dew claw is there, nails look fine, no splinters... And nothing I do to it makes him in pain. I really hope it is something simple like that and the vet can see something we cant.

Parcho

Has he had any ticks in the past couple months? It could be a tick born illness stiffening the joints. My dog's hind leg went lame for a bit due to one. Otherwise, it could be arthritis or a breed specific joint problem like hip displasia etc.

JSP

Super Moderator
He is supposed to be a boxer/sheltie mix. No confirmation on that though. I got him from the pound when he was only about 3 months old.

We have been here in Central Oregon for about 2 and a half years. No tics in this area as far as I know. We got him in VA though and they are all over there carrying lyme. Hell I got it myself up there in darts back yard! ;). I think if he was infected there he would have shown signs before this long. Hopefully.

It is his front right leg. I hope it is just something I am missing with his paw... I just dont see anything. Cannot even make him show signs of pain.

Here is a pic of him when he was a little younger.

DragonBlu

Good luck Jay. I have had a lot of dogs over the years and they have had just about every ailment dogs can have. Could be anything,but a good vet can probably tell you. I hope it works out well.

Deanohh

I've only had one limping dog and he must have had some dirt or irritation stuck in between his toes because I finally for 3 days washed his foot and soaked it in Epson salts solution twice a day and after that he was ok.

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Here is a pic of him when he was a little younger.

Sorry to hear Jay but on a lighter note that is one hell of a cute lil shit!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

wtnotch

Ditto on the 'sure is cute' part.

Man, all I know is that I wish they could talk and tell us what's wrong.

We've had 2 dogs that did a similar limp thing and in both cases it was arthritis. One (a golden) became a 3 legged dog ... for a while - still ran and swam her ass off. The vet ended up putting her on some meds that made her completely normal once she started taking them.

Russ

KeysRider3

If he's not reacting to you manipulating his leg then it's probably not the leg. Have you tried pushing and gently squeezing the different areas of the paw and pads? Be sure to check the tissue around the base of each pad ("between the toes"). I've worked as a vet tech for 3 doctors, and slice-type cuts are hard to see if they're not bleeding. If your dog is still small in size they often hurt themselves (mostly sprains but sometimes will break small bones) when they jump off things like furniture. Because they keep doing such things the injury never has a chance to heal. Your dog may need to be restrained for a couple of days to see if there's any improvement.

JSP

Super Moderator
If he's not reacting to you manipulating his leg then it's probably not the leg. Have you tried pushing and gently squeezing the different areas of the paw and pads? Be sure to check the tissue around the base of each pad ("between the toes"). I've worked as a vet tech for 3 doctors, and slice-type cuts are hard to see if they're not bleeding. If your dog is still small in size they often hurt themselves (mostly sprains but sometimes will break small bones) when they jump off things like furniture. Because they keep doing such things the injury never has a chance to heal. Your dog may need to be restrained for a couple of days to see if there's any improvement.

I have checked everything I possibly can as best as I can. Pushing and expanding his paw, etc shows no signs either.
I just bumped up his vet visit to tomorrow. I'm freaking out about this bone cancer thing. Couple other people I talked to had the same exact thing happen. Limp came, went, then stayed... Both had bone cancer. I cannot wait. Getting xrays done tomorrow. I'm freakin out over here. I saw him at lunch today and he is limping worse now.

I am going to soak him in a bath tonight, triple check every inch of him the best that I can. I'll update as soon as I know something from the vet.

Chevyfazer

I hope for the best, it would kill me if my jack had cancer, but in all seriousness, if you can't find anything by looking, and he seems kind of young to have arthritis it might be something a little more serious, or he could be playing it off for attention I've seen dogs do that before too

KeysRider3

We'll think positive on this one. Good move with getting to the vet sooner as that will be better for the both of you. Please keep us posted.

3leggeddog

We'll think positive on this one. Good move with getting to the vet sooner as that will be better for the both of you. Please keep us posted.
Hope everything goes well. Both of my dogs are missing a front leg and they do just fine. I pray that it doesn't come to that, but wanted you to know that if it does, they adapt incredibly well.

JonKerr

Elite Member

6R Blackout

Hey Jay sorry to hear this news about your puppy, my girlfriends dog had Luxating patella, which was her knee cap popping out of place. The vet could move the leg and foot just as you have tried and the dog would not whimper or even give any sign of pain, but like your dog she would have an irratic limp. It was on her right back leg. Unfortunately the fix to this problem was surgery. I hope this is not what your dog has, and I am only telling you this as it seems to be similar. I hope all the best for the puppy but mostly for your daughter. Like the old saying a dog is a mans best friend and it's hard to see your companion hurting. Keep us posted! I will say a prayer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member