Dog problems. Any vets here???

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks guys! I sold my Yoshi can for $250 and the guy is giving me his Hotbodies MGP Growler exhaust for trade on top of it. So I still get a custom exhaust and some money. This will at least cover the vet visit and x-rays. I will let ya all know tomorrow what I find out. I really appreciate all the kind words. Keep him in your thoughts.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Well good news! No cancer or anything severe showed on the x-rays. He does have the onset of arthritis in that leg, it showed in the joint down by his paw (not sure the name). Says he also has a soft tissue injury that he is not letting heal since he gets so excited and wants to just run and play. So we need to keep him down as good as we can and anti inflammatory meds.

I can live with that. Very happy. Thanks everyone. Huge relief!

CrazyCawi

Well good news! No cancer or anything severe showed on the x-rays. He does have the onset of arthritis in that leg, it showed in the joint down by his paw (not sure the name). Says he also has a soft tissue injury that he is not letting heal since he gets so excited and wants to just run and play. So we need to keep him down as good as we can and anti inflammatory meds.

I can live with that. Very happy. Thanks everyone. Huge relief!
Thats a huge relief brother I know how stressful things probably were. And then the feeling of shit we can never get ahead. Dogs are an intrical part of our lives as well and so I totally understand. I am so glad thigns had a positive outcome for you.

ps. on a side note...nothing to say to the lets buy ducati thread eh? lol

KeysRider3

So glad to read your 4-footed friend just needs some down time. He'll resist, but the both of you will be the better for it!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Really great to hear Jay! That's definitely manageable. Look into the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. It's great for joint health.

Sent from my spirit fingers using Tapatalk.

6R Blackout

Wow Jay that is really great news! Very glad to hear your little pup will be ok, and as you said a few meds, well that's manageable. I bet you little girl is happy also that her best friend is going to be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Detrich

Great that it's not the big C for the little guy... :)

Is the arthritis chronic or will it get better after the resting & medication?

Hope he gets 100% better soon...

JSP

Super Moderator
Great that it's not the big C for the little guy... :)

Is the arthritis chronic or will it get better after the resting & medication?

Hope he gets 100% better soon...
Thanks. From what the vet was saying and showing us, its here to stay and it WILL be getting worse as he gets older. All his joints looked really good and smooth except the one lower one in the bad leg. Its got a small node which they said was the arthritis beginning. Rest and meds will help it from hurting I guess..? We need to put him on a diet (dogs carry 70% of their weight on the front legs) , get some vitamins and such for joint health and anti inflammatory meds for pain.

Grumpy

That is great news! I bring one of my dogs in for acupuncture for a bad disc in her back. I think they do the same for arthritis in pets. I know that sounds extreme but my pups are my kids sort of speak.

JSP

Super Moderator
Here are a few more pics of the little bastard haha. Best dog I have ever had. Love him.

Some of these are of him when he was little. Cute little shit when he was a young pup.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Glad to hear it Jay! What food is he on? Some high quality foods help keep this at bay. He's got it and it cannot be cured, only managed from here on. Take a look at this: Natural Remedies for Dogs with Arthritis - Home Cures for Dog Arthritis Most of the same home remedies for us apply to the dogs too. Last, talk to the vet about one Baby Aspirin a day (at least) as NSAIDs are best for arthritis.

Good luck!

JSP

Super Moderator
Glad to hear it Jay! What food is he on? Some high quality foods help keep this at bay. He's got it and it cannot be cured, only managed from here on. Take a look at this: Natural Remedies for Dogs with Arthritis - Home Cures for Dog Arthritis Most of the same home remedies for us apply to the dogs too. Last, talk to the vet about one Baby Aspirin a day (at least) as NSAIDs are best for arthritis.

Good luck!
Thanks for that link. That will help a lot!

I frankly cannot remember what food we have him on at this time. We just changed it recently. He has been on Iams. I think its beneful now? He has such a sensitive stomach its hard to get him a food he does not have issues with. Even just giving him a treat can paint our walls! :eek:

We are going to get him on a higher quality food. Something that will be good on his stomach and his joints. The vet recommended some senior brand dog foods that seem like they would be good and to lower his weight.

Detrich

is this the same pup that tried to sit on your suit way-back-when?

lol :)

JSP

Super Moderator

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Thanks for that link. That will help a lot!

I frankly cannot remember what food we have him on at this time. We just changed it recently. He has been on Iams. I think its beneful now? He has such a sensitive stomach its hard to get him a food he does not have issues with. Even just giving him a treat can paint our walls! :eek:

We are going to get him on a higher quality food. Something that will be good on his stomach and his joints. The vet recommended some senior brand dog foods that seem like they would be good and to lower his weight.
Take a look at Nature's Variety. We moved our two Rotties to it and they've had VERY few issues with digestive problems. Wean him over 3 weeks. add the new stuff 25% per week, so week one 25% new / 75% old, week two 50% new/ 50% old....etc.... He may get some reaction at first but stick with the conversion.

That is a holistic food with no fillers or preservatives. Excellent high quality (not cheap but you're feeding one small dog, not two heads of cattle like me!)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
we use blue buffalo food for ours. senior for the older and some other for the other 2.
This was our first choice for the Rotties. It was rated very high. Then they changed the kibble size (and appearance) but claimed "nothing was changed in the formula". Yet, both my pups who were on nothing BUT Blue Buffalo both got sick and had diarrhea after starting the bag with the "new" food in it. So we switched to Nature's Variety because we just did not trust them any longer. :(

It was the Large breed Puppy food that was affected.

JSP

Super Moderator
This was our first choice for the Rotties. It was rated very high. Then they changed the kibble size (and appearance) but claimed "nothing was changed in the formula". Yet, both my pups who were on nothing BUT Blue Buffalo both got sick and had diarrhea after starting the bag with the "new" food in it. So we switched to Nature's Variety because we just did not trust them any longer. :(

It was the Large breed Puppy food that was affected.
From what I have just read, there have been some recalls and such on the Blue Buffalo as well.

I called some places here on the Instinct and one right next to my house carries it. The Prairie Chicken is $48 for 30 lb bag. That sound about right? Little expensive but not too bad really. Think we will give that a shot. Much cheaper then vet visits I would say!

JSP

Super Moderator
Looks like Petco has it for $42. Yeah, I'll pick up a bag and start the switch. Thanks for the recommendation on this stuff. Looks really good!