DO NOT use Goo Gone!!!!!

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Superzoom

I saturated the area so well haha. It was dripping. Should I let it sit a while? I was using a micro fiber cloth to remove and didn't get too much off.
Letting it sit won't help much. It's the rubbing that will "mix" the WD40 with the residue and remove it.

To be honest, I usually use paper napkins, which are softer than paper towels. I can't see a napkin scratching paint, unless there are abrasives involved.

raven6

You guys are like Sherlock Holmes and Watson with your deductive reasoning and logic. I'll let you two decide who is whom.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha....!!!!! hahahhaahahahahahahaha...!!!!

thanks man...

bobby bo bonsin

Here at the dealer, anything on the body of the car (glue, rub marks, tree sap) we use brake cleaner to get it off. Cleans fast and dries fast.

Wow! I can't believe you guys use brake cleaner. That stuff removes paint like its going out of style. Maybe the hard factory finishes can hold up to it but I wouldn't put that stuff on my paint.

Last edited:

danieljardim

Here at the dealer, anything on the body of the car (glue, rub marks, tree sap) we use brake cleaner to get it off. Cleans fast and dries fast.

Wow! I can't believe you guys use brake cleaner. That stuff removes paint like its going out of style. Maybe the hard factory finishes can hold up to it but I wouldn't put that stuff on my paint.
We NEVER had a problem. It cleans everything out.

bobby bo bonsin

We NEVER had a problem. It cleans everything out.
Hmm. Yeah that stuff does a fantastic job of cleaning.I just know when I repaint my calipers on my cars every so often I use brake cleaner to clean them and a lot of paint comes off with it.granted brake caliper paint is not nearly as hard as a factory paint job on a car. So yeah I can see using it but I would be too leery of putting it on my car!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

fltdriver

Had my bike parked in the sun for ~3 hours this morning, and the tank sticker literally just peeled off. Left a thin layer of residue that took only a minute or two to remove using the sticker to dab at it. Had everything ready (wd40, goo-gone, mf rags) and was going to compare the wd40 to goo gone.
:don'tknow:

Side note I did try the wd40 on the residue left by gorilla tape on my firebirds passenger window and it came off soooooooo quick. When I finally repaired the window I was trying everything I had to get that crap off. A little time in the sun and sum WD40 and the window trim looks brand:spank:new

danieljardim

Had my bike parked in the sun for ~3 hours this morning, and the tank sticker literally just peeled off. Left a thin layer of residue that took only a minute or two to remove using the sticker to dab at it. Had everything ready (wd40, goo-gone, mf rags) and was going to compare the wd40 to goo gone.

Side note I did try the wd40 on the residue left by gorilla tape on my firebirds passenger window and it came off soooooooo quick. When I finally repaired the window I was trying everything I had to get that crap off. A little time in the sun and sum WD40 and the window trim looks brand:spank:new
concentrated windex and razor blade is great to remove stuff of glass.

Spunky99

Had a guy with a super nice car show professional paint job with clear coats on his 68' El Camino hot rod and he pissed off a kid by screwing the kid's GF. Well the kid pours a can of brake fluid on the El Camino and even tho we got to it in less than 5 minutes, and washed it at the car wash, the paint was gone all over the roof and hood.

I'd NEVER use brake fluid for anything but brakes.
I use denatured alcohol, microfiber cloths, buffing/polishing compound and nothing else to clean my bikes. No bug off or Goo Gone or WD40...as you are asking for problems. You may as well pour gasoline all over your bike.

Also if you haven't already done it, pay for a Car Fact to see if the bike was in an accident. If the dealer didn't disclose this to you and the fact that it was repainted, they may be on the hook to correct the paint and more. They cannot just say "we didn't know" because they have to do due diligence on used bikes they get in trade or purchase and resell. Use the VIN number and see if it was a wrecked bike that was repaired. There may be other hidden problems that make their presence known at 90mph.....the hard way.

danieljardim

Had a guy with a super nice car show professional paint job with clear coats on his 68' El Camino hot rod and he pissed off a kid by screwing the kid's GF. Well the kid pours a can of brake fluid on the El Camino and even tho we got to it in less than 5 minutes, and washed it at the car wash, the paint was gone all over the roof and hood.

I use denatured alcohol, microfiber cloths, buffing/polishing compound and nothing else to clean my bikes. No bug off or Goo Gone or WD40...as you are asking for problems. You may as well pour gasoline all over your bike.

Also if you haven't already done it, pay for a Car Fact to see if the bike was in an accident. If the dealer didn't disclose this to you and the fact that it was repainted, they may be on the hook to correct the paint and more. They cannot just say "we didn't know" because they have to do due diligence on used bikes they get in trade or purchase and resell. Use the VIN number and see if it was a wrecked bike that was repaired. There may be other hidden problems that make their presence known at 90mph.....the hard way.

Are you guys using brake cleaner or acid?

Just seems very odd. I've being working on service dpt in car dealerships for over 7 years and every time we need to clean some rub marks off (hiding lot damage) we use brake cleaner and NEVER had a problem. I guess dealers probably buy different stuff that you find in the shelves? who knows?

BoneJj

If you read the instructions on the goo gone, it says to not do it in the sun and not on hot paint.

danieljardim

I just used the razor blade and it came off of the glass but the problem was the black weather stripping and trim pieces. All good in the hood now though.
Yes, cleaning weatherstrips are really hard because they're soft and hard to scrub. Trim pieces, brake cleaner does the work for us.

fltdriver

If you read the instructions on the goo gone, it says to not do it in the sun and not on hot paint.
Thanks, I was planning on riding this 15 mile loop of highway north of town before I got started so I could do the chain too. But while I was finishing my cig :smoking: I just started picking at it trying to get a good idea of how hard it was gonna be and the sucker just came off.

Figured 60+for ten minutes would cool the tank off as well as get the chain ready for cleaning.

Spunky99

I anyone used brake cleaner or brake fluid on my car they would be in deep SH!T.;)

BoneJj

I agree that simple 90% + alcohol is what anyone should be using to take adhesives off a car. I'm also fine with goo gone, I've used it for years.

That had to suck for that el camino, I always loved those cars and will have one for myself one day but I prefer the 72 models.

The Car Facts isn't going to catch everything, it's all too easy to get around having that stuff reported to the agencies. Hell, I know a body shop that wont report anything if you slide him a few extra bucks...

bobby bo bonsin

He was talking about brake cleaner not brake fluid. Yeah brake fluid will definetely instantly eat right through paint.that's why you gotta be careful when bleeding brakes and adding brake fluid to the reservoir.