Demo ride FZ6R and FZ-07

Qrider682

I have a little Honda beginner bike for a season. I wanted to upgrade to a little bit faster ride for highway riding. The FZ-07 has gotten a tons of great review lately. This is the bike I wanted to get going into the demo ride. I got there around 10:15am and the earliest they have me on a 07 is 11:25. I have nothing better to do so i took their offer at 10:45am for the FZ6R. Here is what i think of both.

FZ6R....omg, the inline 4 is so so smooth. The clutch and shifter is great. The throttle is so smooth and it's just moves. It was so smooth and comfty to ride, I was totally not expecting to like it. I hit 85mph in 4th gear without even trying. Now, I am so excited to try the FZ-07...it can only get better right?

FZ-07...omg what a disappointment for me. The engine is rough sounding/feeling. I feel vibrations at the peg and tank. The shifter and clutch is no where as good of a feel. The throttle is jerky in lower gears. The bike feels cheaply made as well. The clutch engagement is at the end of the pull. Not as easy to ride smoothly like the FZ6R. The power is very similar on both bike. Only thing it has over the FZ6R is the weight. I can feel it's a lighter bike when standing. Once it's moving, both bike feels light and nimble.

I wanted to test a CBR650F before i commit to anything. I am sure the CBR650F is similar to the FZ6R since both are inline4. CBR is 9k+ ODT..I am sure 6R is cheaper. Can anyone tell me what are dealer asking for OTD on a 2013 or 2014 FZ6R? I am in New York by the way.

Fizzer6R

interesting considering people/reviews are raving about the FZ-07.

I had a used Ninja500 before, loved the looks but absolutely hated it's twin-cylinder, like you said way too buzzy.

how about a FZ09? CBR500?

either way, how about used? there are plenty of nice FZ6R's that will save you a lot of $

that's good you got chance to test ride before purchase, besides price, it's another reason why I prefer used over new - how can someone spend thousands w/o...

welcome to forum :cool:

pkoko

For the money get the FZ09. It is a lot faster than the FZ6R if you like nakeds. If you want a comfortable inline-4 sportbike; you cant beat the FZ6R. If you want to go to super sports (much faster) with comfort; then consider the GSXR or CBR line. Yamaha R6 is not the most comfortable bike.

latony007

well i agree, i test rode the 09 and if you think the 07 was jerky wait till you try an 09. pretty much everytime i throttled the 09 it jerked forward. So much torque it rips through the gears and up to speed very fast but from what i read not much faster than the 6R top speed wise. Its a ton of power for not a lot of money though. I personally dont really like naked so will wait for the fj09 see if they have torqued it down a bit for a touring version.

Forget supersport in my opinion unless you are going to be on the track all the time. If you want faster than the fz6r look at the fz1. I agree with the twins my brother has a ninja 650 and very comparable performance wise but not nearly as smooth and the twin sounds like a lawnmower. BTW i paid about 6300 plus tax license on my new 12 in the summer of 13. There has been zero changes in this bike except the paint so i would try and find a new 13 for a good deal. I saw some great deals on the FZ1 here for about 8500

Qrider682

well i agree, i test rode the 09 and if you think the 07 was jerky wait till you try an 09. pretty much everytime i throttled the 09 it jerked forward. So much torque it rips through the gears and up to speed very fast but from what i read not much faster than the 6R top speed wise. Its a ton of power for not a lot of money though. I personally dont really like naked so will wait for the fj09 see if they have torqued it down a bit for a touring version.

Forget supersport in my opinion unless you are going to be on the track all the time. If you want faster than the fz6r look at the fz1. I agree with the twins my brother has a ninja 650 and very comparable performance wise but not nearly as smooth and the twin sounds like a lawnmower. BTW i paid about 6300 plus tax license on my new 12 in the summer of 13. There has been zero changes in this bike except the paint so i would try and find a new 13 for a good deal. I saw some great deals on the FZ1 here for about 8500

I don't need FZ-09 kind of power. The CBR500R is a little weak I think. FZ6R, Ninja650 and CBR650F is plenty of power for me. I got a quote of $6800 OTD for a leftover 2013 FZ6R. Is that a decent deal consider I am in NYC?

I was not a fan of the FZ-07, kinda shocked. It buzz and vibrate like my Honda thumper. I don't know why it gotten all rave reviews. The throttle is very jumpy/jerky. The gear shifter is not smooth either. The pegs are in the wrong places for me. Just not a good experience.

pkoko

I was not a fan of the FZ-07, kinda shocked. It buzz and vibrate like my Honda thumper. I don't know why it gotten all rave reviews. The throttle is very jumpy/jerky. The gear shifter is not smooth either. The pegs are in the wrong places for me. Just not a good experience.
Because some people love the sound of a twin. :confused:

Qrider682

Because some people love the sound of a twin. :confused:
I actually like the sound of the FZ-07. It's the harsh engine sound (high rpm) and vibration that I hate. It's a demo ride, I jumped from the FZ6R right to the FZ-07. If I didn't ride the FZ6R first, maybe I wouldn't be so disappointed by the noise/vibration. It was cheap made IMHO also. I am sure the FZ-07 is a great bike...thus all the rave reviews. It's just not for me I guess. After trying an inline4, I am hook by the smoothness.

latony007

I don't need FZ-09 kind of power. The CBR500R is a little weak I think. FZ6R, Ninja650 and CBR650F is plenty of power for me. I got a quote of $6800 OTD for a leftover 2013 FZ6R. Is that a decent deal consider I am in NYC?

Brand new OTD? in NY? Only place on the planet with higher taxes than here, Jump on it. my 6300 ended up 7000 even after tax and reg. Reg here is such a rip off. There is a thread "what did you pay for your fz6r" check it out

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Qrider682

Brand new OTD? in NY? Only place on the planet with higher taxes than here, Jump on it. my 6300 ended up 7000 even after tax and reg. Reg here is such a rip off. There is a thread "what did you pay for your fz6r" check it out
Yes, it's a brand new 2013 FZ6R for $6k + all the taxes and fees = $6800. I also have a quote for a 2014 CBR650F for $8700 OTD. Is it worth $1900 more than a FZ6R. They are both inline 4. CBR650F is a brand new bike and has 10hp more. I would love to demo one but there is no dealership that would allow. I am sure I would be happy with either one.

Qrider682

FZ-09 probably too big a jump coming from your "beginner Honda" a CBR250?

500 is way too small a jump. I started on a GS500 and my wife on a Ninja 250. The 500 was barely fast enough to get me in to trouble. FZ6R makes about twice the power.

Let's be honest, the main reasons I chose the FZ6R were the amazing looks, the amazing I4 sounds I knew Marthy could wake up, and the ease and smoothness of the bike.

Only other real competitor is the new Honda 650. Honda WILL try to rape you on price and make you pay a stupid amount for it, but it looks like an amazing bike. I LOVE the look of that bike and think it will be great, but 10k-ish OTD seems like too much. Find a second hand FZ6R? Seen them going 4-4.5k here in Maryland.
Yes, I love the FZ6R I demoed yesterday because of the inline 4 engine. It's smooth as butter, no vibrations and just pull/move effortlessly. I am a beginner rider and I can ride it smoother than my current Cbr250r. The Cbr250r is a great beginner's bike. I ride mostly freeway and that's where the CBR is just too weak. The FZ6R hits 85mph without even trying, that would be the max I can do on the little CBR.

Would you get the CBR650F instead? It's $1900 more OTD from the same dealer. I don't know if I should spend the money without a test ride. I am sure it's just as smooth and effortlessly to ride as well.

Fizzer6R

Yes, I love the FZ6R I demoed yesterday because of the inline 4 engine. It's smooth as butter, no vibrations and just pull/move effortlessly. I am a beginner rider and I can ride it smoother than my current Cbr250r. The Cbr250r is a great beginner's bike. I ride mostly freeway and that's where the CBR is just too weak. The FZ6R hits 85mph without even trying, that would be the max I can do on the little CBR.

Would you get the CBR650F instead? It's $1900 more OTD from the same dealer. I don't know if I should spend the money without a test ride. I am sure it's just as smooth and effortlessly to ride as well.
if the CBR is the one that you think about most and gets your blood pumping, then hell yes the $ is well spent!

find it hard to believe there are no dealers willing to allow a test ride. up in NY it's getting colder/fall time now and they know bikes will be sitting for months until next spring. heck a 2014 CBR650F will also be a left over very soon too. I'd ask around again, there's a dif. between someone just wanting to take one for a spin vs. them knowing you are ready to sign for a deal... if it's $8700 OTD, tell em 8500. and ride that baby home.

IIRC there's a Honda dealer in Ohio I believe that will match or beat anyone. recall seeing that cpl years ago on a forum, guys were buying from states away either going there or having shipped b/c was still cheaper than their local

when I bought my FZ6R, the guy was moving up to an R1 and got it up there northeast, while we're down south. if you haven't already, do some searches and make some calls, there might be a better deal out there.

pkoko

I don't think so. It is only 30 lbs lighter. And power difference is not a lot 10 hp. In normal street riding, you will never feel it. $1900 is almost 30% the price of FZ6R. The CBR650F is marginally better bike and not 30% better. But take a look at this (read the comments section as well):
2014 Honda CBR650F First Ride - Motorcycle USA

ksanbon

imo, the cbr's big advantage is the lower center of gravity which improves handling and low-speed maneuverability.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Qrider682

To the OP: I'd go for the 6R. The price is right and assuming the color makes you happy, you really can't go wrong.

The 6R doesn't try to be anything that it is not. It's simply comfortable, easy, fast (enough), fun and sexy as heck. Keep in mind, mine is a VERY biased opinion.

I am a definite fanboy where the 6R is concerned, but only because it's such a wonderful machine. It's great for commuting, touring, cutting twisties, or just lazily cruising the back roads (though if you're like me, you'll find that difficult to do).

I say go with the 6R, in the color that you like, and you will not be disappointed unless racing is your thing.
Thanks for your "very biased" opinion. Luckily I demoed a FZ6R so your opinion is not too far fetch ;). I am leaning heavily on a FZ6R because I can't demo a CBR650f. I just can't put down $9k and hope that I like it. I can't find any Honda demo event around here. Probably have to wait for next year if I want to demo one.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JBAX

I am in CT and know exactly the shop you went to. Nice guys, but I can tell you I spent A LOT less than that using cycle trader and calling around. Check out PA and OH listings. specifically. $4500-4999 are the list prices, then add about $300 for OTD fees. I had the bike shipped to me and reg'd myself for far less than 6800 + tax + tags!!

(from the how much did you pay thread)
BRAND NEW 2013 leftover in White
Bought in PA, registering in Connecticut.

$5,347 Paid to Dealer
$340 CT State Sales Tax (paid myself at DMV)
$ 90 CT State Reg Fees (paid myself at DMV)

$5,777 Total OTD and on the road!!

Doing my homework and being indecisive, err I mean "patient" paid off. Yamaha apparently was sitting on a number of 2013 leftovers in their own facility. They only just released them to dealers the past 2-4 weeks. They have incentivized them with dealers and it's a quick buck for dealers, because they can sell them at way under invoice and still make a few $$$. Thanks you poor economy and poor weather of 2013, that left Yamaha sitting on brand new bikes!! Thank you, thank you!!

All I gotta say, is if you know anyone wanting an FZ6R is go get one, like R.F.N.
(Unquote)

I took delivery Friday and LOVE the FZ6R. It is perfect for my needs. plenty fast. uber smooth and I love the faired look/protection it offers, Plus it has comfy ergos. Go get one!!