decelerating, braking & gear braking

06330i

I rarely use brakes unless its a faster stop or for the last 5mph before coming to a complete stop, where I only use light rear brakes. With this bike you can use the engine to slow down a significant amount.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

RoadTrip

I am a real slow learner myself, I was nearly all rear brake for the first 4K on the FZ6R, then locked it up a couple of times; so, then I started using the front brake more, and now am pretty much all front.

(Corrrect me if I am wrong here, just started implementing this)
But, there are instances where the rear brake is favored over the front, like to scrub a bit of speed on down hill turns, or turns in general, you can use the front to set your entry speed, but once into the lean perhaps a touch of rear can scrub a bit of speed without having to chop the throttle. I have had just a few times where I checked the speed a bit too much mid corner with the front brake where I was fixin to go wide, and I could feel the front wobble a tiny bit like I was upsetting it. Losing the front can result in an instant down, whereas a small slip in the back is no big deal and can even keep you on line (of course be careful not too lock up the rear mid corner).

As far as engine braking, I do this a lot, also did it a lot in my old Prelude, kinda get worried about clutch wear, but the Prelude clutch never went bad in 160,000 miles that I owned it. Most peeps favor brake pad wear to clutch wear, but I kinda go the other way, I have warped rotors on several cars from high speed braking.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:
F

FZ6R2013

is there something they make that can simulate the brake light coming on, even if your not hitting the brakes sometimes, maybe some sort of switch to activate it, when people are tailgating, to keep them off your a$$, but they dont necessarily know your not hitting brakes.

haaa, i just realized, this so called device to do this can also be called..............................................

the throttle. lol.:D

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

applejax

Haha no doubt. PA is blissful to ride in sometimes!!

That doesn't work on NJ roads, too congested!

I take my distance very seriously when on the bike. People just don't get it. If someone is tailgating me, I will go slower and increase my distance to the car in front of me.
I hope you don't go slower than the limit if someone is tailgating you.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I use the brakes and as my speed drops, I downshift to match the speed. That way if I need to jump back on the throttle, I am in the right gear.

abyss1406

I apply the rear brake first, then the front to feather it down as well as the clutch and downshift throttle control to match the rpms(quick shifting)

JonKerr

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

There is nothing more satisfying than nailing 2 or 3 perfectly rev matched downshifts in a row. It's a beautiful sound

buzzbomb

Elite Member

3leggeddog

I'm glad I read through this thread because I appear to do it a little differently...I roll off the throttle, clutch, then usually double-tap the shifter down 2 gears, then slowly release the clutch. I think this habit comes from driving a car with a manual tranny because I'd usually go from 5th to 3rd, then slowly let the clutch back out to slow down. Not sure it's the best practice, but it seems to work.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

3leggeddog

My bad, nismos. I do try and rev match on both, but especially the bike. I've read that not rev matching can cause the rear wheel to spin, and that's something I want to avoid. :D