DC Metro Area Meet Up - August ??

Verranth

Well, I'm out for now...I was trying to change my oil and oil filter. I drained the oil, but got stuck on removing the oil filter. Tried a filter cap, then tried the screwdriver method. Now I have a leaky oil filter and a bike with no oil. So...I have no bike for now. I'll let you guys know if my luck changes.

:cry:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

area

let me know if things change for you tonight or give me a ring on my cell...otherwise I'm not riding to costco.

JSP

Super Moderator
Dont let a measly oil filter stick a fork in your plans!

Muscle that thing off! :D Try Dart's method of a couple wraps of duct tape on it. Just a little so it tightens up on the wrench. Should work with no problems.

Verranth

lol

I got back from Advanced and remembered an old trick my uncle showed me years ago.

2 holes in the front (which i did before with two screwdrivers and tried to twist - didnt work) So, off i went to Advanced to get a different set of oil filter wrench and found some at my home and bought channel locks. On my way back, in the car, i remember the trick.

The two holes I had put in the front were perfect for the needle nose pliers. I couldnt get enough leverage with two seperate screwdrivers, so the needle nose pliers are attached and all that was left was to twist.

Of course, the metal gave way, but not before the filter losen up enough to take out.

I'm back in the game!!! :wav:

JSP

Super Moderator
lol

I got back from Advanced and remembered an old trick my uncle showed me years ago.

2 holes in the front (which i did before with two screwdrivers and tried to twist - didnt work) So, off i went to Advanced to get a different set of oil filter wrench and found some at my home and bought channel locks. On my way back, in the car, i remember the trick.

The two holes I had put in the front were perfect for the needle nose pliers. I couldnt get enough leverage with two seperate screwdrivers, so the needle nose pliers are attached and all that was left was to twist.

Of course, the metal gave way, but not before the filter losen up enough to take out.

I'm back in the game!!! :wav:
Very nice! See ya tomorrow!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

I was just in DC last Saturday, How about that rain!!?? I was visiting some future relatives and was getting shown around DC, then the rain hit and we headed back to Chesapeake Beach, and stopped in North Beach later on and found out areas were flooded 3+ feet!!!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Verranth

Well, I just got back, and I'm sore. GF was complaining about soreness all the way home too. :rof:

Thanks for a great ride everyone! (that turn wont fool me twice ;))

JSP

Super Moderator
:D

Well, right before we got back into Stephen's City we got smashed with a massive downpour! Drenched...

Great ride though! Glad we could all get together like that. 4 bikes was pretty cool. Should have brought my damn camera and took some pics of all our bikes together.

area

:D

Well, right before we got back into Stephen's City we got smashed with a massive downpour! Drenched...

Great ride though! Glad we could all get together like that. 4 bikes was pretty cool. Should have brought my damn camera and took some pics of all our bikes together.
i was just wishing i had brought my cam to post on the site

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Has the Skyline trip been scheduled yet?
Not 100% for sure, but we are aiming for September 19th. We dont want to wait too much longer because of the cold. (wouldn't bother me, but the girls might not like it too much :p)

Sooo.... lets get some plans going then!

Skyline drive is 105 miles long. The road the whole way has a max speed limit of 35 mph. Not sure if we want to go all the way down and then all the way back up. 210 miles at 35mph or a bit faster would take quite some time. That will take about 8 hours if you stayed the speed limit going all the way down and back up if we didn't stop. We would definitely need to take a few breaks. There are tons of places to stop and rest.

We could pick a mile marker, or just drive it until we decide to turn around. Just remember however far we drive, we need to do the same amount back the other way. For me, I would need to keep it to one day trip. My wife (if she gets this job she is trying to get) would only have Saturday off, so she would have to be home by that evening. Doesn't matter the time. So If we could meet at my house around 9 or 10, we should have no problem doing the drive, making stops, taking pics, etc and being back by 8-9pm or whatever. Thats 11-12 hours. Hell of a ride. That's up to you all how long you want it to be. I'm up for anything, however long.

Everyone is more than welcome to meet up at my house before we go. I live 16.5 miles from the Front Royal Skyline drive entrance. (Main entrance) I have more than enough room for all the bikes. You can take 50 to 340 right to my house. Or 66 to 81 to my house.

Here is the Skyline drive, driving map:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf

Here is the link to the info site:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf

Lets talk about it!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Verranth

Was there a specific reason for it being on the 19th? Could we do it the week before and include more people? If not, that's cool too. So far, I dont have any plans for any of those weekends. I dont know how the gf will hold up with such a long ride, so I may have stay over night, or take the highway back up.

I cant wait for this trip. It's going to be great! :D