Custom Exhaust

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

stevet

Marthy is correct. When you make certain changes such as a freer flowing exhaust the best thing to do is check your plugs. I used to work in a race bike shop and we had to rejet or drill out the jets on carbs all the time for a proper fuel air mixture. If your plugs are a nice tan color you should be ok. You don't want to see black smoke either which indicates a rich condition.

Spunky99

I will either get my ocy-acetylene tanks filled or just use my large size torch end for my propane plumber's torch kit to do the bend on the header this weekend and get my exhaust finished finally.

husker525

The days of reading a spark plug to determine correct jetting, or in the case of F.I. is not what is used to be.

With the addition of detergents used in todays fuel, the plug readings can be a bit deceiving. Some of the additives will leave a white residue on the plug, and although you may actually be at the correct A/F proportion, the plug reading may lead you to believe that you are a bit lean.

A plug reading should be done while under a slight load, (like going up a slight grade) in like 3rd gear, then chopping the throttle and pulling out the plugs to read them.

I personally do not want to do this, then pull out 4 plugs. It is easier to have it dynoed with an A/F sensor.

In days of old, plug reading was fine. Now, it is a slightly newer, and different game. It is just not as accurate.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

icestorm

My 2010 raven fz6r has an 02 sensor how would this affect an exhaust mod?

I was just thinking to cut the exhaust right after the 02 sensor which is on the right side just in front of the cat.
Getting a viper race can and making up a pipe to go between it and where i cut the cat off.
Throwing on an PC V and an autoune with the wideband 02 plugged into where my 02 sensor is.

this is where my 02 sensor is plugged in
View attachment 19968

Y

yellowfz

Okay out of all this , no Wideband data or Dyno data to prove the need for a PC .
I tune car and trucks for a living , I know all about air flow , air pump , AFRs , freer air , trust me I have heard it all , one thing I know because I have done it is , adding headers or new exhaust or intake does not affect the AFRs enough to warrant a re-tune , but in Automotive the PCM can compensate for minor additions ( 512 , 1mb , 2mb ROM of data) .
Best I can tell the PC just adjust the injectors and adds fuel , rudimentary at best (fuel and spark MAPs are all I have seen reference to) , in Automotive there are over 400 parameters and some 40 tables , that can be manipulated to tune for extras , tuning is needed for larger addition such as larger cam , large injectors , blowers , turbos , but header and intakes (unless it is forced air induction , Turbo , Blower) don't change it that much (believe it or not the fuel you get can be off in Ethanol content enough to swing AFRs a half point or more , E10 is not E10 it can be E6 , E7 , etc...).
My exhaust looks the same now as it did before the new exhaust tip .
And yes you are changing the air in and air out , but the amount of change is the factor , slight , or major .
I do believe that Yamaha left room for improvement as do all manufactures seeing they tune for production "close enough for all" type tunes . My $0.2 ;)
Oh , still show me the DATA .

Last edited by a moderator:

jlawson378

Two brothers

Two Brothers advertises no tuning needed. i like what the guy said about the plugs cuz they don't lie. Put Two Bros on my FZ6R and no popping exhaust occured. Though have not hooked up to diagnostic equipment.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member