Could this have been avoided?

Blue Cat

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I came across this video on YouTube, and one of the commenters says "that looks avoidable", another that she should have accelerated rather than hit the brakes... I'm approaching my first 1k miles on the 6R and this is one of my greatest fears:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vjXuenYr6M"]Bike crash (Helmet cam)[/ame]

What are your toughts?

~Blue Cat

CrazyCawi

I thnk it was a very avoidable situation ill explain uin a few minutes.

JSP

Super Moderator
Yes, if they stayed home that day.. ;)

Spunky99

In my opinion, that was not avoidable.

No way could the rider have gone hard left around the backside of the car and throttle would have made the impact worse. Rider did the right thing and went for the opening and it's too bad the car on the right didn't move over to allow the bike a safe place to escape.

I have never seen a car do that on a freeway either..That was very strange.

Last edited:

bmw675

the only way to avoid it was to go to the left of the car. Not only do I think that would be a near impossible manuver in that short of a distance (time), but we also do not know if there was another vehicle behind the spinning car.
Can't see anything immediately behind it, but there wasn't much view to the side.

I don't see where accelerating would help, and I bet if he was able to get stopped in time (don't think that's possible), he probably still would of got cloobered from behind.

Chevyfazer

If the rider would have reacted sooner he could have web left or right.

Left to a open spot where the car came from or right to behind the car to his right

It's always easy to say what should have been done but unless your in the situation you never know

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

At 7 seconds if this person was watching their surroundings they had enough time to move to the right behind the silver car because you can see the car start to shift like something is wrong and they could have gotten behind the silver car if they let off the throttle. at 9 seconds you can tell its already to late, they are to firm into the throttle and not paying attention to their surroundings....then @ 10 seconds he finally reacts. You need to be observant and always on your toes watching/reacting to your surroundings and he was not, and it nearly cost him his life.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

bmw675

At 7 seconds if this person was watching their surroundings they had enough time to move to the right behind the silver car because you can see the car start to shift like something is wrong and they could have gotten behind the silver car if they let off the throttle. at 9 seconds you can tell its already to late, they are to firm into the throttle and not paying attention to their surroundings....then @ 10 seconds he finally reacts. You need to be observant and always on your toes watching/reacting to your surroundings and he was not, and it nearly cost him his life.
I think you are making it out to be easier than it was. I don't see how he could have known that the car was going to turn 180 into him. the car may have surged some, but, still no real indication that all hell was about to break loose.

if, if, he did and was able to move over a lane to the right, he would have landed in the back of the silver car, because they slammed on the breaks as well.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Blue Cat

But the silver car stops too, doesn't it?

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I think you are making it out to be easier than it was. I don't see how he could have known that the car was going to turn 180 into him. the car may have surged some, but, still no real indication that all hell was about to break loose.

if, if, he did and was able to move over a lane to the right, he would have landed in the back of the silver car, because they slammed on the breaks as well.
Im not personally in the situation....but I have been in similar. My reaction when I see something ARAI....(pun intended with helmet)....I always move. I dont care if shit didnt happen, Id rather be as far away from it as I can. As for the location of cars....my path would have been this

"shit somethings wrong...shift down...cut behidn silver car....at 9 seconds I would have been to the right side of the silver car...this would have allowed a lane split...yes you would be next to an RV....but at that point I would have downshifted again. and been on my brakes ready to accelerate out of any danger needed. I would have had 5 points visually I would be watching to my left front, front, right front, right rear, and the 3rd lane over on the 4 lane highway.)"

hind site is 20/20...just saying thats how I would have reacted. Like I said I GTF out of the way ASAP and I watch for those shifts of movement. I have avoided 2 accidents by being preemptive. Not everyone is.

Spunky99

Now don't get mad CC....:D
I hate to say it CC but I have to call BS.....

I always move. I dont care if shit didnt happen, Id rather be as far away from it as I can. As for the location of cars....my path would have been this
There is no way you would have seen it coming in real time. Armchair QB and replay the scene 20 times to make up your reasoning does not work in real time. The biker was in a shitty position in relation to the cars and we all are in that position for short periods..the difference is that we don't sit there and stay in those places where we have no exit strategy. You and I would have already changed our position in traffic before that car went sideways.

"shit somethings wrong...shift down...cut behidn silver car....at 9 seconds I would have been to the right side of the silver car...this would have allowed a lane split...yes you would be next to an RV....but at that point I would have downshifted again. and been on my brakes ready to accelerate out of any danger needed. I would have had 5 points visually I would be watching to my left front, front, right front, right rear, and the 3rd lane over on the 4 lane highway.)"
Lets look at your reaction...the downshift after noticing anything would have locked up the rear wheel and you would have been rear ended before you could have low sided behind the silver car. You ain't knee dragging on a straight freeway at freeway speeds....not unless you low side....

The way you talk about driving..Downshifting, slapping the brakes, trying to make emergency turns and downshifting and WOT when there is a possibility of something going wrong? That sounds like some of the most dangerous driving I've ever heard of. And I thought I was a maniac.....

Naw....think about it..if you really drive like that and react to every possible danger as you describe, you should not be on a motorcycle. You DO NOT have the reflex of a cheetah or the strength of a gorilla and driving like the way you describe leaves a ton of room for a mistakes on your part. Remember that one small mistake usually is the beginning of a chain of mistakes that causes an accident. You end up over reacting to a small mistake and boom....you are dragging knee and the side of your bike on the pavement.

As a great example....watch those Police rodeos where they maneuver between the cones. There is even one with a CBR but they do this at 2 to 25 mph. How fast was she going? Get the point?

Bout the only thing I saw might have worked was if she popped a wheelie. It looked like there was enough room for a tire to make it. (kidding):)

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member