Clutch Problem

gocougs88

So I just bought my 09 FZ6R, took it for a few rides no problem. Went out to it and the clutch lever only seemed to pull halfway then stop abruptly. I was squeezing as hard as I could and it wouldn't go any further. It still works, engages and disengages, but it just doesn't feel right. I tried the adjustment barrel but it didn't do anything. My question is did something get knocked loose inside the clutch housing or something? Thanks in advance guys!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

gocougs88

You really want to have that looked at by a shop in case there are serious issues. They are not supposed to stop at all until it hits the handle grip.

Great, that's what I was worried about, any ideas of what it might be? Easy fix or should I not even think about tearing into that clutch housing? I'm pretty good with cars, never been into a bike though.

JSP

Super Moderator
Can you post a pic of the lever assembly and at the bottom side where the cable pulls?

It should not stop at all unless you have that cable so tight thats all the range of motion there is left.(which im not sure is even possible with how it works) ? But then I would highly assume you would be constantly slipping the clutch.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Or the cable is so rusted and corroded in there its binding up? Have you ever lubed your cable?

Deanohh

You've got the lever and the other end of the pushrod which is in that housing just in front of the drive sprocket, then you've got the clutch basket and plates, etc, on the right side. Its not obvious what is causing this to happen.

If someone has worked on the front sprocket, somtimes they will not get that mechanism with the lever and pushrod "pusher" fitted up properly because I think it has to be removed to change sprockets. You should be able to push the lever forward with your hand until you feel the resistance where the rod just starts to lift the clutch. At that point, the mark on the lever and the mark on the housing should match... that is the pushrod adustment. As the clutch wears, this relationship changes, but you make up for it by adjusting the cable, to a certain extent. I'd start by confirming that because you can check that without taking anything apart. Then I'd make sure that little lever housing in front of the sprocket looks fitted up all the way. It also can be fitted up with the lever in the wrong position and then the lever/pushrod alignment will be way off, which would mean the clutch would not work right.

If it were me, then I'd take off the right side cover and see if anything looked funny and if clutch seemed to move ok and if the friction plates were worn out. I don't know why it would be fine and then suddenly not travel all the way..but it sounds like something that has worn out or slipped and needs to be fixed for safe operation..... sorry.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

gocougs88

Wow, ok I'm going to go ahead and chalk this one up to a long day at work, trying to figure this out at midnight, and of course being a bike noob...but the heated grip input connection was in the way just enough to stop the clutch lever. Funny I walked out there today and figured it out no problem lol. The lever has full travel now, problem fixed.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate your guys' desire to help. Do any of you mind taking a picture of your clutch return spring though? Mine looks like it has been unhooked, the lever returns but the spring doesn't look like it's doing a damn thing.

JSP

Super Moderator
Wow, ok I'm going to go ahead and chalk this one up to a long day at work, trying to figure this out at midnight, and of course being a bike noob...but the heated grip input connection was in the way just enough to stop the clutch lever. Funny I walked out there today and figured it out no problem lol. The lever has full travel now, problem fixed.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate your guys' desire to help. Do any of you mind taking a picture of your clutch return spring though? Mine looks like it has been unhooked, the lever returns but the spring doesn't look like it's doing a damn thing.
Good job finding it! I dont have a FZ anymore so someone else will need to post that pic up for ya.