Cheap Stands?

AngryAnt

I wanted to pick up a cheap set of front and rear stands for my 6R sometime this week. They'll only be used for chain lubes, oil changes, occasional mod work, and redoing wheel stripes I'm not happy with, but money is tight right now and I could use a cheap set sooner than a nice set later.

The closest Harbor Freight is over an hour away, and the stands recommended on other threads say In Store Only on their site, and gas costing what it does for the cage I figured it'd just be cheaper to get something online.

Anybody have any comments on these stands, particularly if the front stands would work on the stock 6R?

Black Motorcycle Bike Stand Front & Rear Swingarm Set | eBay

The Ai1 - All in One Motorcycle Stand Kit

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

im highly nterested in this topic as well

Sage

I saved and got a pitbull rear stand. I just toughed it out until i could afford / there was a great deal at a dealer in stl.

i've heard good things and horrific stories about the harbor freight stands.

JonKerr

Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

iSpoolin

If you want good stands for cheap, go with T-Rex Racing. 35 year warranty, and I have had 0 problems out of mine both with the Daytona and the FZ6R, Don't buy cheap Ebay stands, i've heard WAY to many horror stories about those things. Plus T-Rex's are only about 120$ for the front AND rear.

I enjoy mine :)

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

I saved and got a pitbull rear stand. I just toughed it out until i could afford / there was a great deal at a dealer in stl.

i've heard good things and horrific stories about the harbor freight stands.

count me for pitbull stands also, they are built well and solid. cheaper stands won't hold a bike as good.

check your local craigslist, and if you don't see any stands for sale, post a wanted ad, someone might see and have in their garage not using.

Spunky99

I still have the HF stand I bought for my FZ6R but it doesn't work on my NSR50 or Daytona 955I with a single sided swingarm..LOL

I have 3 rear stands and 2 front stands in the garage now....ratpack...

AngryAnt

If you want good stands for cheap, go with T-Rex Racing. 35 year warranty, and I have had 0 problems out of mine both with the Daytona and the FZ6R, Don't buy cheap Ebay stands, i've heard WAY to many horror stories about those things. Plus T-Rex's are only about 120$ for the front AND rear.

I enjoy mine :)
These look pretty nice. I'd really like front & rear, and these are still manageable after I get paid this weekend, so I might order a set.

Random question, but you guys that go on a 1000 mi + trips, do you actually take a can of chain lube with you and lube the chain every few hundred miles?

AngryAnt

Does anybody mind helping me make sure I pick the right thing for the 6R? There seems to be a few to choose from. I got the OK from the wife/accountant to go ahead and order these this weekend :)

Here's the various ones for sale, I'm not sure which one I should get? I haven't installed any sort of spools because I wasn't confident in drilling to install.

Front & Rear

I'm guessing this is the one I need? I"m not sure what the difference between the "S" and the "V" stands are?

Black TRex Front and Rear Motorcycle Stands Unive

If anybody could lend a hand I would surely appreciate it, I'd love to get these ordered tomorrow night to get them in next week.

Fzara2000

Does anybody mind helping me make sure I pick the right thing for the 6R? There seems to be a few to choose from. I got the OK from the wife/accountant to go ahead and order these this weekend :)

Here's the various ones for sale, I'm not sure which one I should get? I haven't installed any sort of spools because I wasn't confident in drilling to install.

Front & Rear

I'm guessing this is the one I need? I"m not sure what the difference between the "S" and the "V" stands are?

If anybody could lend a hand I would surely appreciate it, I'd love to get these ordered tomorrow night to get them in next week.

I could also use a hand as well. What exactly are spools and what do I need to do to the stand and/or bike before mounting it on the bike?

So confused...

iSpoolin

Front & Rear

The FZ6R doesn't use spools unless you buy the ones T-rex makes, you need swingarm paddles, your second link is right, but when you order them, tell them you need swingarm paddles instead of the free spools (since the free spools are the ones for bikes with a threaded hole for spools

AngryAnt

The FZ6R doesn't use spools unless you buy the ones T-rex makes, you need swingarm paddles, your second link is right, but when you order them, tell them you need swingarm paddles instead of the free spools (since the free spools are the ones for bikes with a threaded hole for spools
Thanks iSpoolin, would you mind explaining the purpose of the paddles and the install process?

I know the spools are for when you drill / tap hole in the rear axle and it basically just gives an elongated axle for the stand to grab hold of and lift, can't say I've heard of the paddles before though.

Fizzer6R

trying to explain, don't have these same ones so, someone correct me if wrong - appears these t-rex models are either V or S for the handles (what you put hand on to lift) for either spooled or non-spooled bikes.

you want non-spooled, what they call Universal for our bike - if you look at a pic of their Universal non-spooled, you'll see an extra set of mounts in the middle of the rear stand - you replace these with what they show already installed at the bike to stand connection lift point.

they probably could've just taken pics and posted them with the different mounts installed, but seems they show em as is to indicate you'll get both and then can swap em, hence the slight price increase for Universal non-spooled because you get both mounts

clear as mud?

so yes, the link you posted is the right one
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=165

can call em to order and say you have an FZ6R without spools, to ensure they send you the right one

Last edited:

iSpoolin

Thanks iSpoolin, would you mind explaining the purpose of the paddles and the install process?

I know the spools are for when you drill / tap hole in the rear axle and it basically just gives an elongated axle for the stand to grab hold of and lift, can't say I've heard of the paddles before though.
See the "Hook" style gold pieces that in the sides of the stands in the picture on their site? Well you'll be getting pieces that just go under the swingarm itself that are paddle shaped, that will lift the bike up via the swingarm, they install by just putting them through the little square hole in the stands and twisting a knob to tighten them in place

Fzara2000

I saw this posted on another thread for spools without having to drill;

http://www.evotech-performance.eu/index.php/yamaha-xj6-xj6-diversion-2009-2011-rear-spindle-mounted-paddock-stand-bobbins-protectors.html

If I purchases these,

1) Would I have to have a shop unassembled the entire swing arm to mount these, or could I do it myself?

2) If I got these installed, could I buy any stand which supports spools? Are spool stands a one size fit all, or would I need another adapter to ensure they fit?

The t-Rex rep said the non-spool stands are significantly less stable than the spool ones.

Fzara2000

trying to explain, don't have these same ones so, someone correct me if wrong - appears these t-rex models are either V or S for the handles (what you put hand on to lift) for either spooled or non-spooled bikes.

you want non-spooled, what they call Universal for our bike - if you look at a pic of their Universal non-spooled, you'll see an extra set of mounts in the middle of the rear stand - you replace these with what they show already installed at the bike to stand connection lift point.

they probably could've just taken pics and posted them with the different mounts installed, but seems they show em as is to indicate you'll get both and then can swap em, hence the slight price increase for Universal non-spooled because you get both mounts

clear as mud?

so yes, the link you posted is the right one

can call em to order and say you have an FZ6R without spools, to ensure they send you the right one
The representative made it a little more clear for me - the "S" handles can be lifted with two hands while the "V" handles can be lifted with one hand.

Fizzer6R

I saw this posted on another thread for spools without having to drill;

Yamaha XJ6, XJ6 Diversion (2009-2011) Rear Spindle Mounted Paddock Stand Bobbins/ Protectors | EvoTech

If I purchases these,

1) Would I have to have a shop unassembled the entire swing arm to mount these, or could I do it myself?

2) If I got these installed, could I buy any stand which supports spools? Are spool stands a one size fit all, or would I need another adapter to ensure they fit?

The t-Rex rep said the non-spool stands are significantly less stable than the spool ones.
reason they said this is because the spools have a direct small connection that "hooks" into for support and doesn't wiggle much. with non-spool the arms hold the swingarm up so there is some room to slide but don't worry, once you lift your bike up a couple times you'll get used to it.

i'd recommend getting their Universal non-spooled rear stand since you get both lift mounts, and if you think it's not stable enough non-spooled, you can always get spools for your bike later and you'll already have the spool lifts. difference is only few bucks more in price