Chain-cleaning system

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to give this little gadget a try. We'll see how it works. I purchased it from solomotoparts for cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

ChUcK

This is a product for people who don't clean their chain regularly, just like the Thighmaster is a product for people who don't exercise.

If you do it regularly, a chain clean/lube is a snap that requires less time than it will to open the packaging for that contraption.

Bloke

This is a product for people who don't clean their chain regularly, just like the Thighmaster is a product for people who don't exercise.

If you do it regularly, a chain clean/lube is a snap that requires less time than it will to open the packaging for that contraption.
Not really. Chain doc is pretty quick and easy to use. I used to use a smaller one to clean and oil my road bicycle chain.

Just don't be a 'tard and try using it with the engine on and in gear.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ChUcK

Chain doc is pretty quick and easy to use.
Sure, all gimmicks are quick and easy. My argument is that not using that product is just as quick and easy.

The big difference is that a gimmick is only good for one thing, whereas my mitts and wits are universally applicable.

Bloke

Sure, all gimmicks are quick and easy. My argument is that not using that product is just as quick and easy.

The big difference is that a gimmick is only good for one thing, whereas my mitts and wits are universally applicable.
True, but in how many situations is chain lube actually useful to be applied in a universal fashion. :)

Compare my routine
1. Ride for 20 minutes
2. Ride onto mass of newspaper to catch the mess
3. Apply a liberal coating of wd40 while holding cardboard in front of wheel
4. Scrub chain with tooth brush
5. Rub down with rag
6. Repeat wd40+brush and rag action until chain is clean.
7. wash chain with bike shampoo to remove wd40
8. Ride for 20 minutes.
9. Place fresh newspaper down, return cardboard to guarding the wheel
10. apply lube.

Versus chain doc
1. Ride 20 minutes
2. Clip on chain doc device
3. Spray chain cleaner while scrubbing it with device
4. Un clip and Ride 20 minutes
5. Clip on chain doc device
6. Lube.
7. Empty chain doc into trash. Save for another day.

Looks like it saves time and effort while giving a superior finish imo and not requiring any clean up.

ChUcK

You forgot to add steps 11 and 12 to the first scenario, which should read:

11. Feel good about accomplishing tasks without buying unnecessary gimmicks.

12. Give self high five, because nobody like-minded is nearby to provide a counterpart palm slap- they are all at BestBuy spending next year's tax return.

Bloke et al, I'm not trying to insult anyone, I just get my feathers ruffled this time of year when Wanton Consumerism grips the first world.

MikeN02

You forgot to add steps 11 and 12 to the first scenario, which should read:

11. Feel good about accomplishing tasks without buying unnecessary gimmicks.

12. Give self high five, because nobody like-minded is nearby to provide a counterpart palm slap- they are all at BestBuy spending next year's tax return.

Bloke et al, I'm not trying to insult anyone, I just get my feathers ruffled this time of year when Wanton Consumerism grips the first world.
13. Looking like a MAN because you have dirt on your hands.

14. Score the girl who loves manly men.

Spunky99

I really screwed up today......Replaced my clutch with a Barnett racing unit made in the USA and because I wasn't wearing glasses I selected the Uni foam air cleaned oil can and sprayed down the X-Ring chain afterwards.....LOL....Doooooohhh...

So I used a towel and wiped it down real good with the rear up on the stand and put on a nice liberal coat of the chain wax. The Uni oil actually cleaned the chain as it allowed me to wipe it down really good with a towel. Was actually nice and clean before the chain wax went on.....

Getting old and needing glasses sucks....at least I don't have this problem in the morning.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

I only like the product because it contains the over spray. It's a pain to keep stuff off the tires and everything and I end up getting cleaner on some parts anyways. Then I'm nervous that I didn't clean it 100% off. It's only as piece of mind, I clean and lube my chain every 500 miles or after every rain. I also get scared that I wasn't careful enough and got it on my brakes. So I don't agree with your statement chuck. I also need some extra cleaner anyways my motuls about to run out. It's a win win situation for me.

ChUcK

OK, I'll give you that one, the overspray containment. With a smidge of cleverosity and a piece of cardboard I can contain most of the overspray, but not all.

Still, it looks like it has a lot of plastic, moving parts and that spells trouble. If you clean and lube as often as Yamaha recommends then I am suspicious about how long it will hold up.

Now take the Grunge Brush- THAT is a tool. It's a simple design and unbreakable with normal use. All it is, really, is the beefcake version of the toothbrush so many of us used before we upgraded. I've had the same Grunge Brush for 10 years spanning 4 different chain-drive bikes.

Shoot me a PM in ten years if the whamodyne chain luber is still in regular use!

ksanbon

I don't like cleaning chains to the point that I'm leaning toward a sport-tourer w/ shaft- or belt-drive when I move on in a couple of years. To me, this thing is worth the price if it only lasts a couple of years.

Sander Koop

Elite Member

Bloke

With a scottoiler providing you're riding you'll use this like once in a blue moon.

:)

Flipflash

Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

RooKie

True, but in how many situations is chain lube actually useful to be applied in a universal fashion. :)

Compare my routine
1. Ride for 20 minutes
2. Ride onto mass of newspaper to catch the mess
3. Apply a liberal coating of wd40 while holding cardboard in front of wheel
4. Scrub chain with tooth brush
5. Rub down with rag
6. Repeat wd40+brush and rag action until chain is clean.
7. wash chain with bike shampoo to remove wd40
8. Ride for 20 minutes.
9. Place fresh newspaper down, return cardboard to guarding the wheel
10. apply lube.

Versus chain doc
1. Ride 20 minutes
2. Clip on chain doc device
3. Spray chain cleaner while scrubbing it with device
4. Un clip and Ride 20 minutes
5. Clip on chain doc device
6. Lube.
7. Empty chain doc into trash. Save for another day.

Looks like it saves time and effort while giving a superior finish imo and not requiring any clean up.

Is scrubbing really necessary? I use PJ1 chain cleaner on my bike as directed. Simply spray on and watch the dirt drip off.

1. 20 ride to warm up chain (usually my commute back from work)
2. Put bike on rear stand.
3. Hold rag under chain and spray chain cleaner while friend rotates tire.
4. Wait 10 mins for chain to be DRY
5. Hold rag under chain and spray chain lube while friend rotates tire.
6. Crack open a corona and watch a movie.

Been doing this for my current chain and have not had any problems at all.

Takes about 20 mins total. Including getting everything ready and cleaning up.

Flipflash

Elite Member