can one do a cross country on a super sport ?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Thanks for the info. Glad to see it's in the class of liter bike now.
And how do you like the fz1? Got plenty of power I'd imagine? Since the fz6 n 6r are close related how was the upgrade from the z6 to the z1?
You're welcome!

Moving from the FZ6 to the 1 was a natural progression. It is nothing similar unless you look at the instrument panel. Everything else is totally different. The 1 is a bit more aggressive with the flat bars and seating. The fit and finish of the 1 just seems to be a few notches above the 6. The power and torque increase is extreme. You have to be someone who has a TOTAL connection between what is under the helmet and the right wrist. Too much throttle under the wrong circumstances and you're in deep trouble fast. Going to this bike, you have to take it easy and learn to respect what the bike's capabilities are.

So, ergos changed. Better braking by a long shot, adjustable suspension front and rear, incredible power, simpler to maintain because of the way things are laid out and designed. The bike feels so much more planted and able to pull you through the corners. Lots of power for two-up riding as well as loading it up for touring. A lot of extra watts to plug in heated gear and accessories.

The FZ1 can be as tame as you want it to be. It can also go from zero to felony charge in first gear. I call the bike "Stupid Fast" and while I don't hardly ever crank it up, it is very nice to know that there's not but a handfull of motorized vehicles out there that can keep up of over take me. The confidence you get from knowing you can punch out of any situation is quite comforting to the mind.

The sum of this is: Get one if you can control the throttle hand. If you like to live at WOT or on the edge, please PLEASE do not get the FZ1 until you gain some restraint. :D

bjs045

FZ1nNH since you have experience with both the FZ6R and FZ1.

What would your opinion be with putting the FZ1 handle bars on the FZ6R? The stock straight bar can be ordered for $26 (if i remember correctly). I'm looking to get a more aggressive stance out of it.

Might to the peg mod thing to get my legs a bit higher. Not that tall at 5'8"

clifford_05

You're welcome!

Moving from the FZ6 to the 1 was a natural progression. It is nothing similar unless you look at the instrument panel. Everything else is totally different. The 1 is a bit more aggressive with the flat bars and seating. The fit and finish of the 1 just seems to be a few notches above the 6. The power and torque increase is extreme. You have to be someone who has a TOTAL connection between what is under the helmet and the right wrist. Too much throttle under the wrong circumstances and you're in deep trouble fast. Going to this bike, you have to take it easy and learn to respect what the bike's capabilities are.

So, ergos changed. Better braking by a long shot, adjustable suspension front and rear, incredible power, simpler to maintain because of the way things are laid out and designed. The bike feels so much more planted and able to pull you through the corners. Lots of power for two-up riding as well as loading it up for touring. A lot of extra watts to plug in heated gear and accessories.

The FZ1 can be as tame as you want it to be. It can also go from zero to felony charge in first gear. I call the bike "Stupid Fast" and while I don't hardly ever crank it up, it is very nice to know that there's not but a handfull of motorized vehicles out there that can keep up of over take me. The confidence you get from knowing you can punch out of any situation is quite comforting to the mind.

The sum of this is: Get one if you can control the throttle hand. If you like to live at WOT or on the edge, please PLEASE do not get the FZ1 until you gain some restraint. :D
Thanks for the good info. I wouldn't worry bout the power so much since I just like to cruise most of the time. Although I will get on the 6r at times only when I know I can or speeding up on exit ramps n such :p sometimes ppl don't like to get over so I just happen to get in front of em, haha. I'm kinda iffy on what to do. I may keep the 6r for a while or trade it in idk for sure. Having the extra power would be nice but not needed. I got plenty of time to think. So thanks for the info

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
FZ1nNH since you have experience with both the FZ6R and FZ1.

What would your opinion be with putting the FZ1 handle bars on the FZ6R? The stock straight bar can be ordered for $26 (if i remember correctly). I'm looking to get a more aggressive stance out of it.

Might to the peg mod thing to get my legs a bit higher. Not that tall at 5'8"
I think it would work OK provided there was enough clearance to turn lock to lock and not hit the fairing or windshield. Have you already flipped the risers to move the bars 20mm forward? ;) If you do that then rotate the bars up a bit (loosen them and turn to full lock, then rotate until it is barely clear of the windshield) and give that a shot. :thumbup:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bjs045

I think it would work OK provided there was enough clearance to turn lock to lock and not hit the fairing or windshield. Have you already flipped the risers to move the bars 20mm forward? ;) If you do that then rotate the bars up a bit (loosen them and turn to full lock, then rotate until it is barely clear of the windshield) and give that a shot. :thumbup:
A salesman at the dealership said he had a client that did this mod, but he was never able to get an update on how well it worked out. Definitely going to think about it. Thx

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

bjs045

Go to YouTube and check out Wilks89. He is a friend of mine with a. FZ6 and he did the FZ1 mod. Our bikes have the same bars. He did say he was glad he added riser bars. Also the throttle side controls are different from the FZ1. There is a "nub" on both that fit in a hole. Ours is 90* facing the rear. The FZ1 is on top. You'll have to drill a hole. It keeps the controls from twisting.
Yeah I'm subbed to Wilks89, never noticed he did the mod though! Thanks for the info!

FZ6R-Billy

time for an upgrade! :D
Maybe this Saturday. :D
So I took your advice and got a new 2009 Cobalt Blue FZ1 yesterday :D

I have way too much going on right now to really get out and ride but I put about 65 miles on it. I have a nephew in ICU and I am looking after my 90 year old Mother until my he recovers and takes her back to Florida. All is going well with him after a severe case of pneumonia and the flu.

Billy

clifford_05

So I took your advice and got a new 2009 Cobalt Blue FZ1 yesterday :D

Billy
Keep us updated on how you like it. I've been kinda thinkin bout getting one myself which you can see in a few posts above.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

2wheelie

I think that with minimal mods you can take the 6R just about anywhere, even hard packed off-road for exception of heavy rocks, send and river crossings. It can be a perfect all-around light sport/touring bike.

Skidro

I got my FZR6 last July, did 10 states & 2,700 miles in two weeks a couple months after I bought it. I now have 9000 miles on her, would have more but we've a good bit of snow in north Georgia this winter.
I've also had the bike off road in the mountains on some camping trips with no problems.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Superzoom

Hi Marthy,

I'm sure you've already seen a thread or two about my touring set-up, but I thought I'd mention the Givi E21's again, anyways. The cases themselves are pretty economical. It would be the mounting hardware that would cost you some, but it's all worth it, in my opinion. The nice thing about having a Givi compatible mounting system would be the ability to buy other Givi cases later on if you want to go larger.

But I find the E21's an excellent compromise between size, price and functionality. They are top loading, which is really the best way to load a saddlebag. Plus they're easy to open and are 100% waterproof.

I'd personally be hesitant to go with the Pelicans, as they're much slower to open and lock/unlock. It's nice to be able to open my Givi E21's in seconds. Plus the E21's look good on most bikes.

Good luck with whatever solution you go for.

Justin Case

I life in florida and I rode my FZ6R as far as New Jersey and back. The ride was awesome but my @$$ my hurting. Well worth the trip though.

PF2411

AZ to CA

I have done several Tucson, AZ to San Diego, CA runs on my '07 FZ1. 6 hours of open I-8 interstate riding with two stops. The FZ6R has a very similar riding position with less power. No problem just take it a little slower. I just received the Spenser comfort seat mod, taller windscreen, 17 tooth front sprocket GPS mount and bags and I'll do the same with my new FZ6R and save a pile of gas too..