Camshaft specs... The next project!

skooter65

So I opened up the box just now and it does come with the cam gears. So looks like I just gotta buy the crank gear and chain and then make this my project. Thank you for the information Marthy. If I start second guessing myself I may ask you a couple questions. But hopefully my background in cars helps me excel in motorcycles. This will be my first "big" project on a motorcycle.
I am parting out the entire engine...let me know what else you need!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Question Marthy.. What are your thoughts on replacing only ONE of the cams with the FZ6? A lot of Bandit guys replace with GSXR cams. Usually either only the Intake cam or both.

Lots of them only replace the Intake cam and leave exhaust cam stock so they do not lose much at all bottom end.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Kayo7

Hey this is no rocket science. I'm sure you will be fine. Take your time and double then triple check everything. Get yourself a RH side cover gasket too. Worth the extra $8.00 FZ6 and FZ6R are different... I have a FZ6 in stock if you need one LOL If you follow the FZ6 timing mark you will end up around 105/105 lobe center. The intake need to be advance to 102 deb. If not you will hit the rev limiter before it peak HP. I tried 4-5 different cam setting and the 102/105 was the best I found. Under 4K you will get smoke by about any scooter on the road but at 4K it's like you turn the switch on. You can ride 4-6K all day long, use pick up there. Then the real fun start at 9K+

That will transform the bike...
So when you moved the intake to 102, is it about 1 tooth different do you remember? I don't mind spending an extra $8.00 for a gasket, rather be safe than sorry if you ask me. I do appreciate all the extra information. Any other info i will be glad to take.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Kayo7

Oh no!!! 0.008" slot per degree. But I won't just eyeball it if I was you. A little off and the performance might get hurt. Degree wheel and dial indicator is the way to go. Swaping cams is not like banging an exhaust on a bike or swaping stickers. It's quite a delicate task to perform and there's no short cut. If not done right it can mean less power or worst... kaboum! But you know that already. There's cheap degree wheel on freebay for $15.00 and about the same for a dial. Thanks to China! I did it before and it took form start to finish a solid 8-12 hrs. Might have to adjust the valves too...
I'm just used to cams on cars, where if you want to change the timing, you basically just move it one tooth or turn the distributor if we wanna go that far back lol. I've already got a dial indicator from working on cars but the degree wheel I will probably have to buy one. I've got more research that I want to do before I just jump right in.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Kayo7

I'm not taking about ignition advance. Cam timing. 37 tooth on the cam sprocket (9.7 deg per tooth) x 2 because 2 turn of cam for 1 turn of crank So you are 1 tooth off of disaster! LOL

eyeball 0.008" per degree of cam timing. This is very sensitive... you got that loose just from the tolerance from the bolt to hole in the cam gear. Look around the net you will find how to measure lobe center @ 1mm (0.040") There's a little formula that you use, very simple.

I have some spec at home that you can use as reference. I'll post them here later...
I'd appreciate all the help I can get. I will definitely be looking around on the internet for more info, as well as talking with one of my buddy's who has done a cam swap on his bike before.

Thanks again for all the info!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ST3RL0

Had this done to my 2010 fz6r this week. At the moment there is a decent change, but being in Australia my bike is still restricted. You're right about upto 4000rpm, pretty low lol but afterwards is great and the sound at 7000 is amazing and aggressive.

wisey18

Had this done to my 2010 fz6r this week. At the moment there is a decent change, but being in Australia my bike is still restricted. You're right about upto 4000rpm, pretty low lol but afterwards is great and the sound at 7000 is amazing and aggressive.
Where did you get your cams done and how much was it? Where do you live? I'm in Sydney

ST3RL0

Where did you get your cams done and how much was it? Where do you live? I'm in Sydney
I got them done at Trooper Lu's Garage in Moorebank (Liverpool), I work across the road from them so it was easiest for me. All up it was $550 for labour

wisey18

That's where I bought my first bike. So was it $550 all up with cams and labour or was the $550 just labour?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ST3RL0

Yeah, just the sound at 7k with the stock exhaust is terrific.

This is just a quick startup of the cams and dan moto

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcF4tkym3A&feature=share&list=UUPBeSmatB16fVfafm3S0z0w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgcF4tkym3A&feature=share&list=UUPBeSmatB16fVfafm3S0z0w[/ame]

Last edited:

ST3RL0

This is what the cam swap is capable of, along with pcv & autotune and custom exhaust. M94 is my FZ6R and M5 is a R1