Camshaft specs... The next project!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Here we go again. Got myself a set of FZ6 camshaft and a degree wheel. I've been searching for info and can't find nothing. So I will find out what I want. Cams spec for FZ6R, then FZ6. If it fit, I will let everyone know. Look like there's 0.055" more lift. What I'm interested in is duration... That's what really matter. To be continue...
Oh no , dang Martin no rest for the wicked . :D If you do get the cams in , will you have to swap ECU or at least alter the MAPs on the present one to compensate for the different cam profile ?
Should be interesting to see if the FZ6 cams fit , but I bet there is more to the FZ6 hp increase (20hp) than just the cams .
I know the Power Commander can alter fuel but spark and air are important as well in tuning a engine as you know so well .

Last edited by a moderator:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
A few people were first interested in this when the FZ6R had its initial release, but no one ever followed up on it. I look forward to the results!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Let's say that if fit and the valve spring don't coil bind... I will start with close where the timing is on the 6R (I/E lobe sep and in lobe center) and work from there. I tough about swaping ECU also... but I'll try to get away with the PCV. I put back the Auto tune and play with the map. I won't worry too much about spark timing... might cost me few ponies but it's ok. You will be surprise how much you can get out of a cam swap. I use to do it on my old Civic back in the late 80's early 90's. The exhaust set up I have is good and I think the smaller throttle will keep a good throttle response in the mid range and will be sufficient for the top end (12500). The HP peak at 12000 on the FZ6 from what I was able to find. I can tweek that if necessary. :thumbup:
Yeah the LSA is going to be close I bet , would suck if it compressed valve springs to much , I looked at FZ6 motor and visually they look real close .
Yeah slapping a cam in can yield a few ponies for cheap .

Last edited by a moderator:

Spunky99

Martin,

I have a set of throttle bodies for the R6 I bought and never installed. They look brand new and should hook up mechanically and electrically.
I don't think the stock ones for an FZ6R are going to provide the F/A mix in the right proportions to go with the cam.
You can have them for shipping cost if interested.

FYI: This is only for Marthy boys and girls.....

See red

You will need to check the fuel injectors, you need to know the cc's. Also verify the duty cycle. If you push them towards the 96% mark they tend to lean out. You should be able to have the injectors balanced, meaning there are places at least here to have them tested and they will make sure they are within 1% of each other. Stock injectors tend to be only within 10%, meaning even IF they are capable of theoretically run the fuel, there is a good chance of one or more cylinders leaning out.

If you don't have a pllace there let me know, I will see about finding out what they are run percentage wise.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Doncan

The intake runners in the cylinder head are also smaller. It may hurt in the higher rpm's the cams are designed for. You should also play it safe and get the springs designed for the cams...

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

The only thing that worry me is the lift for now. If the lift can make it without coil binding the spring + 1mm or so it's going to be all good. All the other stuff should work. Been there, done that on cars before. Can't be that much different on bikes.

I use to mod Civic back then. Cam, headers and shave the head was good for some serious power gain! And we were reving the engine 8500 instead of 6200. I won't change the rev limiter here on the 6R. I just want to swap the cams to get a bit more duration and overlap. I don't want to kill the bottom end and just want the engine to breath a bit better on top end. The engine spin 12500, and I want it to pull all the way there!
Back in the day a bud did a Kawa 1000 , he milled around the valve stem to accommodate taller/stronger springs , we actually had to grind some metal off in spots on the cam cover because the cam lobe was so tall it hit the cover , so I think you can do what you are after one way or another .
Keep us posted on any further development .

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

stevet

Sounds like you're on the right track with the cam mod. I hope they fit. Really interested in what you find out. Good work Marthy on all your research concerning the 6R. Thanks from all of us.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member