Burning oil

BackflipBo

I left my 09 FZ6 in my yard a few days ago, that night the ground got wet and the kick stand sunk into the ground slowly laying my bike over, no plastics or anything harmed. The next morning I stood it up right and moved it. I took out the air box and it had no oil and the air filter was fine. Started the bike and it started blowing white smoke from the idle then gradually quit. Now it only smokes when I give it gas. Is it safe to ride ? Is it just burning off a small amount of oil and will go away after awhile ? Thanks for the help.

I left my 09 FZ6 in my yard a few days ago, that night the ground got wet and the kick stand sunk into the ground slowly laying my bike over, no plastics or anything harmed. The next morning I stood it up right and moved it. I took out the air box and it had no oil and the air filter was fine. Started the bike and it started blowing white smoke from the idle then gradually quit. Now it only smokes when I give it gas. Is it safe to ride ? Is it just burning off a small amount of oil and will go away after awhile ? Thanks for the help.
White smoke is coolant burning not oil. Oil burns blue smoke and too much fuel makes black smoke.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

BackflipBo

Coolant or water. Either way, it's technically steam making the white "smoke". You say the ground got wet enough to drop the bike so I'm assuming rain. Did it fall on its left side? If so, you may have gotten rain in the exhaust system.
It was thick dew and maybe sprinkle but not enough to amount to something. It has a smell so it isn't steam. There isn't anyway the white smoke is oil ?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

BackflipBo

Oil has a noticeable blue tint to it. As for smell, coolant smells sickeningly sweet, sort of like an artificial maple syrup.
It doesn't have the sweet smell of coolant, and it doesn't have a blue tint at all. I guess it could be somehow condensation or something else. Safe to ride ?

Are all of the fluid levels proper???

As you mention; dew/humidity being high, each time the engine cools it essentially inhales the moisture in the air and it clings to the cooling parts even through the intake and exhaust. When started, that moisture is expelled and when the exhaust and engine are cool, it looks as steam or white smoke.

Once the engine and exhaust come up to temperature, the moisture is removed with heat and flow.

Coolant or water. Either way, it's technically steam making the white "smoke". You say the ground got wet enough to drop the bike so I'm assuming rain. Did it fall on its left side? If so, you may have gotten rain in the exhaust system.
Theres a difference between a steam cloud and coolant burning smoke. Steam would look like what comes out the tail pipe on a cold morning. Coolant is a white smoke like what smokers exhale and doesnt dissipate super quick.