Possible Fuel in Oil Issue

TN6R

Ok, so I've done a bunch of oil changes on my bike and I am meticulous about making sure its topped off right on the line. I've put about 300 miles on the bike after the most recent oil change and after riding it the other day, I noticed oil at the drain bolt (just a tiny bit) and oil at the oil fill cap seeped past it. I found that very odd so I let the bike sit for about 20 minutes and then checked the oil on a rear stand. It was about a 1/8" PAST the oil max line on the dipstick. I immediately suspected gas in the oil and sure enough the oil smelled like gas. I pulled my airbox out and immediately smelled gas in the air filter too.

I pulled the spark plugs which now have about 1,200 - 1,500 miles on them and they looked a little cleaner than I thought they would. Pics attached at bottom.

Any thoughts? Leaky injector or something? It's a 2009 with 11,000 miles. I run it good but not hard often and I run about 50-100 miles a week on the bike.

- No smoke at start up or when throttling
- No obvious gas leaks
- Am running Marthy's sport map
- Bike never laid over
- No wheelies in a long time
- Engine runs like it normally does, which is good

For some reason can't add the fourth spark plug picture but it looks exactly like the rest.
0.jpg4.jpg10.jpg

Last edited:

tdnathens

Your plugs look great. My crankcase and air box always have a gasoline smell. Unless I put my bike at the same exact spot on level concrete the oil level always varies 1/8 inch + or -. Sometimes more. I think it's to early to panic. Just ride it and watch the oil level.
Tom

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

TN6R

Your plugs look great. My crankcase and air box always have a gasoline smell. Unless I put my bike at the same exact spot on level concrete the oil level always varies 1/8 inch + or -. Sometimes more. I think it's to early to panic. Just ride it and watch the oil level.
Tom
Oil level always go up a bit once hot, don't worry.
Thanks for posing guys, that does add some peace of mind. I drained a little oil out and have since been watching it like a hawk and haven't noticed any new increase in oil level.

mlehto

It would be running like crap with a cylinder not firing to allow gas to drain down the cylinder walls into the crank case.

That or an injector is stuck open but that is extremely rare. You would see your fuel milage change drastically and that oil level rise.

Like others have said you likely don't have anything to worry about.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member