Bad News....

FZ6Rin321

I've just found a 76 xs750e on craigslist for 300 =)) hope i can get it. needs carbs rebuilt so it'll give me a chance to learn a thing or two but nevertheless i cant wait to talk to the guy

FZ6Rin321

welll this is what they're going to build for me. except alll flat black including exhaust. i told him i wanted a 650-750 I4 so i can cruise interstate speeds without having to redline.... thats what i should've asked for right? i want its top speed to be roughly 120 so when i'm going 70 or 80 i still have some power

its gonna cost 2800. and i'm gonna make the guy payments as he builds it

Fzara2000

welll this is what they're going to build for me. except alll flat black including exhaust. i told him i wanted a 650-750 I4 so i can cruise interstate speeds without having to redline.... thats what i should've asked for right? i want its top speed to be roughly 120 so when i'm going 70 or 80 i still have some power

its gonna cost 2800. and i'm gonna make the guy payments as he builds it
That's a nice looking bike actually

FZ6Rin321

i think it'll be bad a. so what sort of motor will i need for a top speed of 120-130? and what should i ask for? cause i want to be specific enough to make sure i get what i want.

i want a top speed of 120-130 ( not so i can cruise at that speed, but so when i'm going 70 or 80 i still have power to pass and such on the interstate and so its not at redline the whole time.)

and plus i'll still be hanging with my SS friends lol so i want a good bit of torque and speed

Superzoom

i think it'll be bad a. so what sort of motor will i need for a top speed of 120-130? and what should i ask for? cause i want to be specific enough to make sure i get what i want.

i want a top speed of 120-130 ( not so i can cruise at that speed, but so when i'm going 70 or 80 i still have power to pass and such on the interstate and so its not at redline the whole time.)

and plus i'll still be hanging with my SS friends lol so i want a good bit of torque and speed
That looks like a very cool bike but I'm a little concerned for you for a couple of reasons:

1) Most custom bikes have very poor resale value
2) A custom bike built from parts may be less reliable than a stock bike
3) That bike will have trouble keeping up with a SS with a competent rider due to handling, if not engine power

Having said that, if you really love the bike, then you should screw practicality and go for it. But if your eventual objective is to buy an FZ6R, this purchase might delay it even longer, especially if you sink more money into the custom to keep it running.

If you want to go 120 mph you'll need a strong 600cc engine at the minimum, or at least 60 hp at the rear wheel. The FZ6R makes 66 rear wheel hp, and it has a top speed of about 125 mph.

FZ6Rin321

That looks like a very cool bike but I'm a little concerned for you for a couple of reasons:

1) Most custom bikes have very poor resale value
2) A custom bike built from parts may be less reliable than a stock bike
3) That bike will have trouble keeping up with a SS with a competent rider due to handling, if not engine power

Having said that, if you really love the bike, then you should screw practicality and go for it. But if your eventual objective is to buy an FZ6R, this purchase might delay it even longer, especially if you sink more money into the custom to keep it running.

If you want to go 120 mph you'll need a strong 600cc engine at the minimum, or at least 60 hp at the rear wheel. The FZ6R makes 66 rear wheel hp, and it has a top speed of about 125 mph.
well the riding with SS's i'll be doing is going to be on the interstate so not much worry about handling and they're building it from new parts instead of scraps so no worries about it breaking down anytime soon. and i wont be reselling it so i'm not worried about resale value. my intention is to buy this bike. learn on it for a few months/years and then buy a SS so i'll have both

i think the motor is going to be a 750.. i just dont know if cruisers are geared for 120+

Roaddawg

I like those bobber looking bikes. I'd love to build one up like that. How's he building that for only $2800? I don't see that being done with new parts and all.

FZ6Rin321

I like those bobber looking bikes. I'd love to build one up like that. How's he building that for only $2800? I don't see that being done with new parts and all.
its just gonna be basic parts. they build most of the parts custom and the rest they buy ... like i'm not gonna have a tach or anything. just a basic speedo one left mirror headlight and tail light

CrazyCawi

Thats way to cheap IMHO....I just dont see materials, engine...labor...how $2800 leaves profit for him, or anyone else. Its not phesable. Idk if your getting the whole story bro just make sure its all legit and the desire for a bike so bad isnt blinding youd hind sight.

FZ6Rin321

Thats way to cheap IMHO....I just dont see materials, engine...labor...how $2800 leaves profit for him, or anyone else. Its not phesable. Idk if your getting the whole story bro just make sure its all legit and the desire for a bike so bad isnt blinding youd hind sight.
its a small shop, look up ratsbybuster.com

FZ6Rin321

i mean... the motor isnt new. they buy used motors and rebuild them idk if that would offset the price. would it be stupid to ask them to put the gear shift and back breaks ... like rear set? or would i look retarded driving it like that lol do you guys get what i mean ?

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

FZ6Rin321

Actually those parts are cheap as heck. I have seen those bikes built with perfection for under $300 and I have seen running mint models of CM400-CB400,450,550,750's go for under a grand each.

You want expensive yet affordable parts go here Dime City Cycles

I have a CM400A 1980 that I an going to bobber or cafe, not sure yet. I have a parts list for everything I need gonna cost me $200 including a 450 engine and tranny, rebuilt and garunteed. You just gotta shop around ;)

TBH I would pay $2500 for that bike turn key rdy to go if I had the $. I'll be doing my work myself so -.- sucks for me. I have to get a house n garage before I can start.

okay great =) im really excited and wanted it to work out

angelsneverlose

didn't read whole thread but it looks like you found one OP?

If not, i dont know what you have saved, but mine is in good condition and I may be selling it soon since we're (wife and I) are trying to add to my house and i need to pay off the loan on it. I'll be letting it go pretty cheap...

FZ6Rin321

didn't read whole thread but it looks like you found one OP?

If not, i dont know what you have saved, but mine is in good condition and I may be selling it soon since we're (wife and I) are trying to add to my house and i need to pay off the loan on it. I'll be letting it go pretty cheap...
hey let me know how much... idk how quick i can come up with it. but i wouldnt mind taking over payments idk. just let me know