AARRGH!!! 2 flat rear tires in 2 months

Pointman1776

Elite Member

abyss1406

Michellen pilot powers alllllllll the way son

latony007

so cal

I've had my bike barely 5 months (my first bike).

First rear tire, OEM Dunlop Roadsmart, ate a fat nail around 4300 miles.

This rear tire, Dunlop Q2, ingested a fat screw at 6900 miles.

(...and let the forum members insert "nail" and "screw" related jokes here...)

Even though the rear Q2 is feathering on the side edges already, I figure it still had about 50% (2k miles?) life remaining.

The front is about 90% used on the side edges.

Treads on tops of both tires are still lovely.

(I ride Mulholland Drive everyday to work and back - hard. And my weekend rides are Mulholland Highway or Angeles Crest. I likes me them twisties! :Flash:)

Time for a pair of new sneakers.

And into the "which tire is best" debate I wearily and warily and not too merrily go...:zombie: :catfight:
Where you work to be riding Mulholland everyday? I love both those rides, have lots of highway photos.net and rockstore photos. I just did Angeles Crest on Saturday and in usual California wisdom they just repaved the whole 60 or whatever miles of it. It was in great shape before and there are a million other roads around here you can barely get on without your teeth ratling out of your head, but good old California. It was nice to ride the fresh pavement though, you should get up there.

On the tire subject I wonder why it seems as though these maybe go 10k max and the ones I pay the same price for on my car can go 60 or 70. I understand the tires are even more important on two wheels but you would think the weight of 4 wheels would wear them down faster.

latony007

angeles crest

what he said^
JT you make it down to Santa Barbara? How was it? see my message about Angeles Crest? I told you last week it was a great road in great condition and I go up this week to find out they repaved the whole thing. gotta love California, spend it like aren't in massive debt.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ReChUcK

AARRGH!!! 2 flat tires in 2 months
I never ride without the following items on the bike:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Topeak Mountain Morph Pump

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K]Slime 1034-A T-Handle Tire Plug Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

They have saved me twice while on long trips. I have not experienced any further problems with the patched hole, and have taken each rear tire to the maximum tread wear.

You can also use a CyclePump from BestRest, or a Slime pump, but I like to rely on my elbow grease instead of the motorbike battery. The frame pump will inflate your tire just fine, if you throw in a dash of Little Engine That Could.

VRIIClubby

+1 for tyre and rim insurance :)

I wouldnt be plugging a tyre unless it was the last resort to get me to a tyre shop! Sorry but tyres are the MOST important "part" on your bike IMHO and I wouldnt be trusting a plug @ anywhere near hwy speeds!

ReChUcK

I wouldnt be plugging a tyre unless it was the last resort to get me to a tyre shop! Sorry but tyres are the MOST important "part" on your bike IMHO and I wouldnt be trusting a plug @ anywhere near hwy speeds!
Actual experience trumps irrational fear every time. Except in politics, of course. ;)

latony007

tires

+1 for tyre and rim insurance :)

Im with you, no plugs or patches or fixes unless its to get to the shop. I don't even think id do that on my cruiser never mind my sportbike. Tires are the only things that touch the road so id say they are pretty important :)

VRIIClubby

Actual experience trumps irrational fear every time. Except in politics, of course. ;)
It sure does, been there done that, hence my comment, Im not big on commenting on things I havent experienced, you maybe?:jerk:
They are an EMERGENCY repair solution, (read the packet) not a fix, the only fix is a new tyre! :rolleyes:

ReChUcK

A new tyre is definitely one option for fixing, and probably the one that induces the most peace of mind, but if you plug a tyre correctly it won't fail you again.

There are definitely times when a plug is not appropriate- like if a nail somehow finds its way into the sidewall of the rubber- but a properly installed plug is just as good as a tyre that was never punctured at all.

The plug manufacturers write that on the package in order to remove liability for problems that may arise from improperly plugged tyres. They have no control over the skill level of the individual installing the plug and therefore cannot afford to be held liable for the financial damages that may result. It's a CYA statement.

For instance, an individual might let the plugs sit out in the sun for two years and then attempt to fix a hole with a degraded plug. Or an individual may not know just how much you have to ream the hole before plugging it. You really have to rough it up.

With all due respect, your post included the word "opinion" whereas mine included an actual event that occurred. I keep a specific record of everything that happens to the Displacement, here are the exact numbers:

March 25, 2012- 11,888 miles: new Michelin PR II
May 21, 2012- 13,126 miles: plugged rear tyre near border crossing at Midway, Canada
April 14, 2013- 29,029 miles: new Michelin PR II

Disclaimer: Before you guys express disbelief in the 17,000 miles on a single set of tyres, know that I freeway-commute year round in Seattle, where the ground is almost always wet, which keeps tyre temps down and minimizes degradation. Now that I moved to Texas I expect to have to change the rubber much more frequently.

VRIIClubby

A new tyre is definitely one option for fixing, and probably the one that induces the most peace of mind, but if you plug a tyre correctly it won't fail you again.

There are definitely times when a plug is not appropriate- like if a nail somehow finds its way into the sidewall of the rubber- but a properly installed plug is just as good as a tyre that was never punctured at all.

The plug manufacturers write that on the package in order to remove liability for problems that may arise from improperly plugged tyres. They have no control over the skill level of the individual installing the plug and therefore cannot afford to be held liable for the financial damages that may result. It's a CYA statement.

For instance, an individual might let the plugs sit out in the sun for two years and then attempt to fix a hole with a degraded plug. Or an individual may not know just how much you have to ream the hole before plugging it. You really have to rough it up.

With all due respect, your post included the word "opinion" whereas mine included an actual event that occurred. I keep a specific record of everything that happens to the Displacement, here are the exact numbers:

March 25, 2012- 11,888 miles: new Michelin PR II
May 21, 2012- 13,126 miles: plugged rear tyre near border crossing at Midway, Canada
April 14, 2013- 29,029 miles: new Michelin PR II

Disclaimer: Before you guys express disbelief in the 17,000 miles on a single set of tyres, know that I freeway-commute year round in Seattle, where the ground is almost always wet, which keeps tyre temps down and minimizes degradation. Now that I moved to Texas I expect to have to change the rubber much more frequently.
Great work there bud on having "1" not fark up on you, (seriously)

The warnings are there because they ARE an E M E R G E N C Y repair only, lol, I cant find any other words that would help convey that?

Those warnings are for people like yourself that state silly silly things such as;

but a properly installed plug is just as good as a tyre that was never punctured at all.
:zombie:

honestly?

Pointman1776

Elite Member

Pointman1776

Elite Member

latony007

I actually ride Mulholland DRIVE everyday from Burbank to Beverly Hills or Miracle Mile (depending on the client location). How I wish it was Mulholland HIGHWAY, but alas.

Yeah... my buddy and I were up on Angeles Crest on two of the days (20 Aug & 21 Aug) when they were repaying the road. Had to ride behind the pilot truck. At first we were stuck in the middle of the pack but all the cars ahead of us were kicking up rocks. Just sucked. My headlight, windshield, fairings, radiator, and helmet face shield were getting pitted. PING! PING! PING! My arms, legs, and shoulders were getting pelted as well. So I jumped to the front of the line, cars honking horns at me, but I didn't care at that moment. My buddy did the same ('03 R6).

The road was slippy for several miles, and then got better at the Palmdale junction, when the road returned to normal. Not sure if they've since paved past that junction or not. The new pavement topping they put on the road is very "chunky"... not smooth. Not sure I like it. I don't think I have as much traction on the new surface. I haven't been back up since 21-Aug, so maybe the road traffic has worn in the surface to a better state than when it was fresh.

I pulled the headlight off a couple of weeks ago for a Rabbitman109 AHR HID retrofit, and with every fairing piece I removed from the bike, several gravel rocks fell to the garage floor. By the time I stripped down the bike and removed the headlight assembly, I had a good handful of gravel rocks scooped up. Just sux.

The contact patch on a car tire is significantly larger than on a motorcycle tire, so you have much more traction with car tires, and you have four tires.

In order to provide acceptable traction for a motorcycle, especially a SPORTBIKE, with a fraction of the contact patch as a car, the tire compound for a motorcycle tire must be MUCH MUCH softer (stickier). From my experience driving M-series BMWs, Porches, Corvettes and Mustangs, similar street-racing traction compounds on car tires, when DRIVEN THE SAME WAY AS A SPORTBIKE will only last 10k-14k, MAX.[/QUOTE]

Not impressed with the pavement job either. It is very "chunky" I guess some cheaper new way to pave the road. I wish they would have left it alone it was in great shape before and there are a ton of other roads that could have used it. Got to wonder about these city guys, they have repaved my street 3 times in the last 15 years but the street that leads to it has not been done once and is a mess!

Good point on the tires I didn't think of the softer compound like nascar.