Bridgestone vs Dunlop

efforex

So i had a broken belt in my front tire caused by a car backing into my bike along with the back tire just worn out due to commuting every day to work its been 3 months since i got the bike and 4200 miles already on it decided to get the Dunlop Q2's

Long story short they ended up not having the rear tire size in stock and no local store could get one for a couple days being that the bike is my commuter i had to go with a different rear i went with the Bridgestone BT-023 and i must say that so far i think i would like the q2 a little bit better on the rear but the 23 has def been right there as far as grip and wearing only 200 miles on the tires but not even a simple sign of were in the chicken strip area.

p.s the front q2 has much more visble signs of wear than the bt 23

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Yeah +1000 on that. Most people who is Q2's like they are supposed to be used can only get 3000 miles out of them if there lucky. With commuting you might get 4000-5000 vs a spot touring tire getting over 10,000

efforex

I normally ride the twisties every weekend if not more during the week since im off at 2pm every day so i wanted the grip to have some real fun in the twisties here in Cali plus i have a couple of buddies i go to the track with to mess around. All around these gave me the best options for one commuting and having safe traction for track and twisties

Chevyfazer

Not trying to be a D-bag but it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself lol

I imagine that this is your 1st bike? I know you said you have put over 4kmiles on but IMHO no tire in the world will improve your cornering if you don't have good form, and with only 4kmiles seat time youd be hard pressed to know how to ride like a pro unless your real name is Rossi lol. I use my bike the same as you, commuting daily with weekend fun runs, and the daily commute will absolutely ruin a super soft tire like the Q2. Plus right now you would benefit more from having matching tires than anything else. Our bikes don't have the power to spin coming out of a corner so most standard streetbike tires do just fine, but like I said early I imagine this is your 1st bike so I would recommend getting a matching set of sport touring tires since you commute so the tires won't get squared off, there are some really good dual compound tires out there with a hard middle for commuting and soft sides for the twisties. when you can take a turn at full throttle with those tires then you know you could use something better. But until then you pretty much just throwing money down the drain, especially with a mismatched set.

For what it's worth, I've been running shinko 009 ravens now for the last 20,000 miles or so after coming off pierelli diablo's when I first got this bike. I can take the same turns now twice to three times faster on the shinkos simply because I have improved my form, and when I go up to the mountains I blow past all the guys on their SS bikes with super soft tires.

Again I'm not trying to be a A$$hole just trying to explain that there are a lot better options out there for commuting and having fun. And I'm doing a lot of assuming here so if this isn't your 1st bike then I'd hope you pretty much know everything I've mentioned and I'd be even more puzzled why you chose the Q2's

Chucker

In talking with an old racer that runs track days here, he suggested I get Pures or Rosso II's for a good all round street tire that is also track worthy.

If you're planning on doing track time, don't go with sport touring tires. They can't handle the heat. I melted my BT021's at the track and they were noticably greasy once they got hot.

redprodigy35

Thanks for all the points... :thumbup:

I happen to be thinking of Q2's for next season even though my stockers still have some life in them. But now I'm not sure.

Interesting to know that I'd only get 3k out of them and ruin them "commuting". I mean I know softer compound = more wear but damn 3k~!? Because for me -- to get to any twisties, I need to ride a good bit to get there.

And it's not like they're cheap.

Chevyfazer

You would probably get more like 5k out of them if commuting but they would get squared off real quick. Some guys I ride with actually trailer their bikes to the mountains in north ga because they run these tires and are only getting 2500 miles out of them. But they don't do any commuting, only track days and mountains on those bikes.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

RoadTrip

These tire threads always end up with the same points, e.g. 'get ST tires, they last longer', and 'HS's are a waste of money'. However, it seems that the points always center around ultimate grip limits and fail to discuss feel, turn-in, and mid corner stability. HS's are superior to ST tires in this regard, as well as higher braking limits, and most anyone can brake hard (e.g. ST rears lock easier than HS's in my experience). So, yeah, play around a bit with different types. But most would admit, having tried both, that HS's do have performance advantages in many areas. The money part is a personal choice, but people act like its a moral choice, as if running HS's with a lesser skill set violated some unwritten code of motorcycling.

The only caveat is the squaring issue, if you don't spend at least half your time doing aggressive twisties, then HS rears will start squaring before you hit 1000 miles, and by the end of 2000 you will likely start getting slippage feelings in corners since the tire contact is often along the overly pointy edge of the transition from the squared center to remaining round sides. You will still have plenty of grip, but it is an uneasy and affects confidence. But, ST tires always squared on me eventually as well, so it seems that is unavoidable. Personally I am willing to pay the extra money for HS's that perform and feel better and increase confidence. Finally, there is the potential issue with age hardening of these long life ST tires, the tires may still look good after 5000 miles, but they may well have lost much of their initial grip and feel.

Last edited:

Skidro

My original tires were Battlax, got 11,000 miles before replacing.
My second set was BT-023, had around 8,000 miles when i had to replace them, and went back to the Battlax.

FastFreddy

Did the tyre fitter just get back from lunch when he changed your tyres ?

I'm getting over 6000 miles on the Q2s. Up to 12 000 km.

The Q2s are more near the BT003 end of the Bridgestone spectrum, but last longer.

Last edited:

SurfJunkie

I dont know how anyone is getting that many miles out of a BT-023.

I ride 5 days a week, Freeway, 20 miles each direction. I got MAYBE, 5000 miles out of the stock BT-023 front AND rear.

Rear is slightly cupped in the center to the wear bars, and front has lost most of its side profiles and is raised in the center. Center is also at the bars. (havent eaten through what little of the sipes are left at the top of the bars.)

FastFreddy

I had a screw in my rear Q2, I did the puncture repair, but it feels like a flobby carcus now. I've changed to a Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the rear now, they felt alright on the ride back from the bike shop. I'll let everyone know how they compare with grip and mileage, we basically only need enough grip for the FZ6R as they can only lean over so far.

buzzbomb

Elite Member