Loved my OEM Roadsmarts, need advice on new tires for my style of riding

ihans

I live in the Los Angeles area and have had my FZ6R for a little over 2 years.

With the exception of the 10-12 miles each way of commuting to the mountains/canyons, most of my 4000 miles have been twisty roads, both lower speeds (35-45mph, Stunt Road/Piuma/Mulholland) and higher speeds (55-75mph, Angeles Crest).

That's all I do. Sometimes just up and down Stunt Road 5-6 times to get practice!

I'd say I'm in the middle of the Intermediate category in my abilities.

No riding in the rain, but have gone out in very cold and very hot temps.

I personally have been very happy with the Dunlop Roadsmart touring/sport tires that originally came with my bike.

I've worn them out in 4000 miles, though. Is this normal, or am I more aggressive than I thought I was on the bike?

If I can get Roadsmarts again, I will try to do that. But Roadsmart IIs are much more expensive than the very well reviewed Dunlop Q2/Q3, and Bridgestone BT016. Some others have also recommended the Pilot Powers and 2CTs.

Some friends buy Shinkos because they last just as long but cost less. But these guys also ride A LOT more than I do, so they have to buy more tires than I do.

Has anyone with similar riding habits put more miles on the Q2/Q3 or others mentioned above? Or should I just expect about 4k-5k miles on such tires?

I don't mind spending a little extra money to buy a name brand, as long as it lasts about how long it's supposed to last.

Thanks.

RoadTrip

I love riding hypersport tires, but as many have said I could prolly get away with riding on sport touring tires, which are a better value and more consistent tire.

Hypersports are fantastic for the first 1000 miles with their pointy profiles, quick lean and abundant sidewall, you are living like a king. But, they start to square off after that and become kinda twitchy as you approach there end of life as you teeter on the new pointy part between the squared center and the remaining round part.

I get 2000 miles out of BT016/S20 type rear tires before the center is gone on the gixxer (about double that on the front), I could prolly get 3000 miles on a BT023 rear is my estimate with a more consistent transition to squared since it starts out rounder from the beginning. But, I love that fast tip in and super sticky feeling during the first 1000 miles on hypersports, its like a whole new bike each time I get a new rear. The rounder sport touring tires are a bit more vague feeling to me, I just have more confidence to be aggressive on the hypersports, so in the end its worth it to me to. You will just have to decide for yourself.

But, forget the BT-016's, the S20's are the new Bridgestone flagship tire and it doesn't square off as sharply somehow and don't end up as squirrely as the BT-016 near its end of life.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

sammy56

I live in the Los Angeles area and have had my FZ6R for a little over 2 years.

With the exception of the 10-12 miles each way of commuting to the mountains/canyons, most of my 4000 miles have been twisty roads, both lower speeds (35-45mph, Stunt Road/Piuma/Mulholland) and higher speeds (55-75mph, Angeles Crest).

That's all I do. Sometimes just up and down Stunt Road 5-6 times to get practice!

I'd say I'm in the middle of the Intermediate category in my abilities.

No riding in the rain, but have gone out in very cold and very hot temps.

I personally have been very happy with the Dunlop Roadsmart touring/sport tires that originally came with my bike.

I've worn them out in 4000 miles, though. Is this normal, or am I more aggressive than I thought I was on the bike?

If I can get Roadsmarts again, I will try to do that. But Roadsmart IIs are much more expensive than the very well reviewed Dunlop Q2/Q3, and Bridgestone BT016. Some others have also recommended the Pilot Powers and 2CTs.

Some friends buy Shinkos because they last just as long but cost less. But these guys also ride A LOT more than I do, so they have to buy more tires than I do.

Has anyone with similar riding habits put more miles on the Q2/Q3 or others mentioned above? Or should I just expect about 4k-5k miles on such tires?

I don't mind spending a little extra money to buy a name brand, as long as it lasts about how long it's supposed to last.

Thanks.
Is your front tire also worn at 4000 miles??
Not that 4000 miles is great, but not all that surprising for a rear tire, depending on the type of riding you do. But the front tire should be fine unless you are riding on the track!
I consider my riding style to be moderate with some leanings toward aggressive. I am still running the original OEM Roadsmart in the front after 13,000 miles and it is still okay, but certainly getting close to worn. Rear tire is a different story.....on tire number two, but still has good tread.

LB

Fizzi6ergal

I'm on my 3rd set of tires and I've got about 18,500 miles on my bike. The first set(Battalax's) last me 10,000. Then I put a couple michelins on my bike(power 2ct's) and those last me about 8k miles. Now I'm on to my Michelin Power 3's. I LOVE these tires! Compared to the power 2ct's, I feel that I can get more of a lean angle with the 3's. That's what I'm riding on these days.

Alex6

Pirelli Angel GT also a good choice for both the grip and longevity. I know quite a few riders at the advanced level that use these for the street riding. They use a more sport oriented for their track/race events obviously, but feel the sport-touring tire is sufficient on the street. Also, they ride much more powerful bikes than FZ6R and very comfortable scraping their knee sliders on occasion.

ihans

If you wore those tires out in only 4000 miles, you might have been accelerating very hard alot on them or possibly pressure issues. Those tires should typically get you around 8-10k pretty safely.
The Pilot Powers are good but they are meant for I think it is 90% road and 10% track, so if you dont do track, you might be better with one of the others.
Thanks for all the responses. I set the tire pressure to what was recommended in the manual. The wear is even on the left and right sides of the tires. Nothing weird.

While I don't go on the "track", per se, out of the 4k miles, maybe 500 miles of it was going straight. Everything else was on turns. Would that be considered "track" use?

I don't take off fast or lock my brakes either.

Before I actually order the tires, I will take my bike to make sure there is nothing weird going on.

mdgreene2001

Love my Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires!!!