3,000 Mile, 7-9 Day, Solo Road Trip

CrazyCawi

I am so effing envious of this trip I dont think mine would ever let me do this.

Jay S.

I am so effing envious of this trip I dont think mine would ever let me do this.
Last year we prepaid for a trip to Disney and then I got sent to Iraq for 6 months. Hence they went without me and my sister-in-law got my ticket. I think my wife still feels guilty on some level...so I used that guilt for this trip. I know, I'm terrible.

:thumbup:

This is one of the coolest things I've ever done, and I still have 5 days of riding left. Outstanding!!!

I say do it bro...beg if you have to.

Jay S.

Day 3...Tail of the Dragon...

243 miles, 4.96 gallons ($17.05) for 48.9 mpg. Have I mentioned how much I love this bike? This trip is only making me love it more. I bought it for sport-touring...and it does it so damn good. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Also glad I got new tires before this trip, Michelin PR2's. Outstanding tires!

Last edited:

Jay S.

Day 4...best day yet

Today was, hands down, the most beautiful roads I have ever ridden. If you look at the map...between points B and D is a motorcycle riders dream. Big, wide, sweeping curves allowing me to fully explore 4th and 5th gear. Plus lots of incredible scenery as well. Up and down multiple mountains. Heck, I'd take that over the Tail of the Dragon any damn day. I wonder if I can convince my wife to move to Franklin, North Carolina??? I'm still in awe. Today was the ride of a lifetime. If any of you are ever up that way, take advantage. I have so many pictures...I'll post the ones I like the best. But first, the map and the professional pics I bought from the Tail yesterday.

Last edited:

Jay S.

Pics from the best ride of my life...

I took so many I could not decide what to post...

Notice the clouds BELOW me in the pic. Thanks goodness I took cold weather gear. Even took winter gloves, thankfully. It was about 30 degrees on top of that mountain, but totally worth it. :)

Last edited:

Jay S.

Waterfall you can ride under...plus a couple more states to notch on my belt. Plus, mini-Chewbacca, my riding partner that my daughter put on my bike.

:D

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Awesome! Thanks for the pics!

Jay S.

Very much agreed! I consider all my solo tours some of my most precious and emotional memories.
Agreed brother. I actually read some of your reports before I bought my FZ6R, no joke. I was convinced it would be the perfect solo sport-touring bike, and you even proved it can 2-up just fine as well.

Jay S.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics!
Jay, you don't have to thank me bro, the pleasure is truly mine. I'm just glad someone likes to see them. Every time I'm deployed I sit and read ride reports on my day off each week. I hope I can return the favor to someone who can't ride, be it a deployment, winter, no bike, etc.

Andy

This is really cool. Look forward to the updates and pictures daily. I wonder if I'm the only one looking @ mapquest thinking about packing lists etc. :D

Skidro

Today was, hands down, the most beautiful roads I have ever ridden. If you look at the map...between points B and D is a motorcycle riders dream. Big, wide, sweeping curves allowing me to fully explore 4th and 5th gear. Plus lots of incredible scenery as well. Up and down multiple mountains. Heck, I'd take that over the Tail of the Dragon any damn day. I wonder if I can convince my wife to move to Franklin, North Carolina??? I'm still in awe. Today was the ride of a lifetime. If any of you are ever up that way, take advantage. I have so many pictures...I'll post the ones I like the best. But first, the map and the professional pics I bought from the Tail yesterday.

You are correct about the roads, and those of us that live in this area really appreciate what we have available to us to ride on the weekends.

The Dragon is a good ride, just to say you've riden it...but there are so many more roads that are much more fun in those mountains. You should try some of our riding/camping weekends in those mountains.

Jay S.

Day 5...all interstate

Okay today was all interstate but in my defense I was visiting a friend in Birmingham for lunch and some more friends in Montgomery for dinner. Today was about meeting up with friends, not making miles. Sappy eh?

:thumbup:

I also tried to meet Ricky Bobby...denied. I also had some DD coffee, which is the best coffee on earth. Way better than the green mermaid.

Last edited:

Jay S.

Ricky was not home...or so I'm told. Here is our bike's racing Kinfolk at the Barber Motorsports Museum. A biker's wet dream.

The last pic...trivia question. Besides "she's got back." What is unique about this exhaust and why is it that way?

Last edited:

Superzoom

Ricky was not home...or so I'm told. Here is our bike's racing Kinfolk at the Barber Motorsports Museum. A biker's wet dream.

The last pic...trivia question. Besides "she's got back." What is unique about this exhaust and why is it that way?
MV Agusta F4, but I have no idea about the why.

Superzoom

Agreed brother. I actually read some of your reports before I bought my FZ6R, no joke. I was convinced it would be the perfect solo sport-touring bike, and you even proved it can 2-up just fine as well.
That's just great to hear. I'm glad you're reconfirming the fact that the FZ6R makes a great sport tourer. My bike is just a seat tweak away from being perfect for touring. How are you surviving the seat?

Jay S.

That's just great to hear. I'm glad you're reconfirming the fact that the FZ6R makes a great sport tourer. My bike is just a seat tweak away from being perfect for touring. How are you surviving the seat?
With the beaded seat cover and some cycling shorts with a gel insert, I did fine, even on my last day which was over 800 miles. Anything is better than the Vulcan I used to own!

Jay S.

Day 6...hot as hell

Ugh, such a beautiful ride but also damn hot. I rode in a t-shirt most of the day just to stay cool.

Last edited: