'08 GSX-6R - should never have gone

Mart Man FZ6R

So the test drive went very well, I love the electronic steering dampener and the power modes were also amazing. I stayed in C (lowest power band avail) again not because I want to do wheelies but I really love the look and options for a super sport. So the riding style was much more aggressive as expected with more weight pushed forward and it felt like my feet were more behind me than right under me. I'm 6'4" so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I honestly had to think about it even though it had everything I wanted. The riding position didn't bother me but then I got the the question "why do I even have a bike"? I don't really use it to commute due to living a few miles from work, I don't ride on the highway with it or use to go out of town, and I like in IA so there are no mountain twistier or crazy riding areas that I know of. So I came down to the answer of pure fun. Get home, work out, an jump on the bike for an hour or so messing around through town then park it until another day.

I did ride a Vulcan 900 Custom with the special edition flat black paint job with the silver. Never rode a cruiser and the dealer insisted before I made another choice that I could regret. Soooooooo........I have a tough decision to make.

1) keep my 6R until next year then trade out of it
2) upgrade to the '08 GSX-6R
3) ride away with a blacked out cruiser and hit some country back roads

Life's about choices....
I'm curious, how did the power of the Vulcan 900 compare to the 6R? That was the bike I was considering but thought that having only 900cc's I'd hate it. Then when I found the 6R for $6200 OTD, it was a done deal. The best price I could find on an '09 Vulcan was $7200 OTD.

Grinch79

I'm curious, how did the power of the Vulcan 900 compare to the 6R? That was the bike I was considering but thought that having only 900cc's I'd hate it. Then when I found the 6R for $6200 OTD, it was a done deal. The best price I could find on an '09 Vulcan was $7200 OTD.
I was looking at the 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition with the flat black/silver across the entire bike. I thought that the punch did not have the torque I was expecting from a 900cc bike. I think it rates at 58 ft lbs at 3500 RPM's. It was hard with out a tach to see if I was up there or not in the power band wearing a full helmet and trying to compare the Scooter sounding exhaust on the 6R to the 900's full pipes of a cruiser. I was hoping for more but then figured how much would I need for an actual cruiser?

Grinch79

I'm also looking at either getting the 2008 GSX-6R or the 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE for the same price OTD knowing I still need to eat the $1,500 in depreciation. The Vulcan has about $600 in after market little accessories on it.

Tough call at this point, I'm split 33% all the way across the board. GSX-6R, Vulcan, or the keeping the 6R until next spring are about even.

Roaddawg

I'm also looking at either getting the 2008 GSX-6R or the 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE for the same price OTD knowing I still need to eat the $1,500 in depreciation. The Vulcan has about $600 in after market little accessories on it.

Tough call at this point, I'm split 33% all the way across the board. GSX-6R, Vulcan, or the keeping the 6R until next spring are about even.
Here's my story. I originally was set on a cruiser. I went to the dealer and the salesman I worked with was great (dealership went under though :mad:). I told him what I planned on using it for (mostly commuting with weekend fun rides). He took me through all the style of bikes and gave me the pros and cons of each. I still wanted a cruiser, but knew it wouldn't be as practical. After I sat on the FZ6R, I was sold. It seemed to offer the best of both worlds in motorcycling. I still want to get a cruiser/bobber style bike down the road, but hopefully I'll just add it to my collection. Go with what you want, but give each bike a chance too. I'd keep riding your 6R for this season and then think about getting one of the others next year....and do that during the winter months when the dealer REALLY needs the sale! That's my opinion, but you gotta do what you feel you need to do.

mbridge51

The 6R is all I have ever know when it comes to bikes....however I was with my friend today when he was getting a new jacket and I sat on a 2008 GSX-6R on the showroom floor. It was left over stock, 0 miles, black, and the dealer was willing to work with me.

Needless to say I've been interested in a different bike within a month of owning my 6R. Whether I go to one extreme of a super sport or jump into a straight up cruiser I may be done with the in between. It isn't that I feel the need to go 150 mph, do wheelies, or anything like that there are just so many more options for a more popular bike. I like options, and after doing a little more research on what bikes have or have available as options the FZ6R really is bone stock with a limited upgrade selection.

Anyone out there have any experience with a GSX-6R or have an idea on what I can expect when I test drive it tomorrow?
I traded my '09 FZ6R in on a new 2008 GSXR 600 and have not regretted the decision one bit. The Yamaha is a great bike and I would prefer it if I did a lot of commuting, but most of my riding is on the twisties in the mountains of Western North Carolina. In my opinion, in this environment, the GSXR is much more fun to ride.

I did a track day at Barber in Birmingham on my FZ6R and had a blast. I can't even imagine how much more fun the track day would have been on the GSXR. I thought about upgrading the suspension & exhaust on the Yamaha, but decided just trade for a GSXR and pay the difference. There are some great deals on new '08s and '09s that are still in inventory. I was unsure about how I'd like the more agressive riding position. I like it better now. You feel like you sit down in the GSXR rather than on it and it shifts so easy. The two biggest differences are the power the GSXR generates and the suspension adjustability. The GSXR has 3 different fuel mapping modes; A, B & C with a being most agressive and C the least. When riding in rain, I use C mode to help prevent rear wheel spin. The power generated in C mode feels like the power delivery of the
FZ6R. There is a noticable difference in the power between A and C mode.

pyrocpu

Personally, I think the Triumph Street Triple is a more logical upgrade for a person who likes everything about an FZ6R except for the power and the suspension. The Street Triple has a similar riding position, but is better in almost every other way. The price reflects this, but the bike is in no way overpriced for what you get.

The looks, however, are debatable. I was very, very close to buying a Street Triple, but the crazy low price on new leftover '09's swayed me to buy the FZ6R. I love my FZ6R, but I strongly suspect that in a few years, I may "upgrade" to a Street Triple.
I'm kinda w/ Superzoom on this one... The Street Triple R in Matte Orange (w/ flyscreen, belly pan, & rear cowling) has REALLY got my eye. Alas, we'd be looking at about $11K OTD for something like that! :( The ultimate dream bike would be a 1100S Monster w/ ABS... I'd really like for my next bike to have ABS. Then again, we'd be looking at nearly $17K!

As much as I want either, the FZ6R fits the bill, right now. The $6800 OTD (higher taxes here in TN) I paid was incidental. $10K over that buys me a circa 2004 CLK500!

Someday... someday... life's a lot more fun when you're looking forward to something. In the meantime... carpe diem!

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Grinch79

Dude right across the street was eye balling my 6R a month ago and just yesterday I noticed he went out and bought a R1....

Pisses me off every time I hear /U] him coming and going and he has the white with red paint job that I really love. Nothing is worse than knowing I want a SS and I've just about signed for the GSXR and then having to see the R1 every day and night. I need to just pull the trigger and grab the bike.

Right now it's just I have the $1,500 to cover the depreciation on trade to loan balance....but is that the best way to spend $1,500. By no means do I need a different, bike, just really want one. Who knows, I could move to the GSXR and in a couple years want to move to something different.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Get yourself a Triumph Daytona 675!! :drool:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
^^^ That there is my next bike.... In a year or two. Only just got my 6R.
I concur! I can't believe how reasonably priced they are. They are on par or slightly cheaper than the other 600 cc SS bikes from the various manufacturers.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Grinch79

Well.......I ended up checking out another dealer for an R6 to try and stay within the family. I checked out the R6 and a CBE 600RR....that's when I looked across the dealership and saw a MONSTER.

Long story short I traded up, same trade in of $5,000, and rode out with a slightly used 2009 Yamaha Raider. Not even in the market for a cruiser but I will tell you what, I couldn't have found a better bike for my frame (6'4"). The 210mm rear tire with the Cobra exhaust are great compliments to the 1854cc engine.

It's nice to be the only one in town rocking one and making all those Harley guy's double take. I really do appreciate everything this forum has done for me in my first few months of riding. Everyone really helped me get my training wheels off.

Thanks again

bmw675

Get yourself a Triumph Daytona 675!! :drool:

that there is what i have been looking at. next spring it will either be the daytona or an r6. i heard that the r6 maybe having some major changes to it.

time will only tell. i dont think i have seen a daytona on the streets here, ever.

rubicon1000

[QUOTEhave available as options the FZ6R really is bone stock with a limited upgrade selection.[/QUOTE]

back in the day people did there own upgrades and mods with not such thing as aftermarket. thats what i learned to do with this bike becasue that is what happens when a new model comes out. pick up some tools and create your own mods its much more fun and you get to tell people about it.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Well.......I ended up checking out another dealer for an R6 to try and stay within the family. I checked out the R6 and a CBE 600RR....that's when I looked across the dealership and saw a MONSTER.

Long story short I traded up, same trade in of $5,000, and rode out with a slightly used 2009 Yamaha Raider. Not even in the market for a cruiser but I will tell you what, I couldn't have found a better bike for my frame (6'4"). The 210mm rear tire with the Cobra exhaust are great compliments to the 1854cc engine.

It's nice to be the only one in town rocking one and making all those Harley guy's double take. I really do appreciate everything this forum has done for me in my first few months of riding. Everyone really helped me get my training wheels off.

Thanks again
You gonna post some pics up? I'd love to see some pics. When I went to buy a motorcycle, I wanted a cruiser. I was looking at the Yamaha Warrior and Honda Fury lines. But, as I started to think about it, the FZ6R was what suited me best for my commuting (easy to maneuver, maintenance, MPG's....). In another year or so, I may be relocating and not have a 102 mile r/t commute...then I'll be in the market for a cruiser/bobber bike. Just don't tell my wife that! :)

Superzoom

Long story short I traded up, same trade in of $5,000, and rode out with a slightly used 2009 Yamaha Raider.
Grinch, I'm glad you got the Raider. A lot of people are cruiser phobic because they think cruisers are slow and handle poorly and are for pirate poseurs. But the truth is, they're a lot of fun to ride, both slow and fast. Plus I recall the reviews of the Raider were good. Yamaha tends to make good cruisers.