"Yeah I ride... oh... you know someone that crashed to?... Great..."

Jaimison

I've been meaning to post this for a while and somewhat vent.

I'm trying to figure out if it's just me or what?

Almost everyone I talk to when I meet then (usually when I get off my bike) or talk to people I know. It seems the only thing they want to bring up is about how they know someone or saw a crash or how someone died!

At first, it didn't bother me. I appreciated them showing concern, as crude and inappropriately it was conveyed. But it's like damn. The only people that talk to me about the bike or just talk about other general friendly topics are other riders (which I hardly see). And this happens ALOT it's about every time I ride. I don't want to sound insensitive to their story and all so I just stay quiet. But come on now, hearing about people dying or getting terrible maimed "because they ride a motorcycle" all the time is getting pretty ridiculous!

I don't want to hear that every time my bike is mentioned! It's a buzz kill. Even when I was shopping for my bike and talking to my friends 9/10 of those conversations would start with me telling them all excited about riding and the mood/subject come to a screeching halt because they're first response is to say "I know a friend that died." :bitchslap: What do I say to that?

I could also decide to be very sensitive and take it as an insult, them thinking that I'm an idiot. I don't ride around like a stunt rider or anything. I know my abilities and I stay within them. And any accident that is out of my hands is just that. As with any other motor vehicle.

That went a little longer than I thought it would. I just want to know if this occurrence frequency is just with me or not. I need to find some friends that ride hahah.

BKP

... and the mood/subject come to a screeching halt because they're first response is to say "I know a friend that died." :bitchslap: What do I say to that?
How about... "and I know a whole lot that didn't because they ride responsibly, and gear up..."

Unfortunately, it's human nature to be fascinated with and want to know more about anything that's considered extreme and its associated mishaps...
I get it all the time with my diving... "...what if you run out of air, and die..."; "...what if a shark sees you and bites your ass off..."; "...can't you get the bends and die..."

It's known as verbal rubbernecking, and it's the same phenomena that causes slowdowns in traffic passing an accident, even when there's no obstacle to drive around...

Human nature is hypnotized by the misfortunes of others... It's our species' character flaw, and explains why they have shows like "Scarred," and "Jackass" on T.V... (well... maybe not "Jackass." I'm not sure self-inflicted stupidity counts).

z21-i

I've been meaning to post this for a while and somewhat vent.

I'm trying to figure out if it's just me or what?

Almost everyone I talk to when I meet then (usually when I get off my bike) or talk to people I know. It seems the only thing they want to bring up is about how they know someone or saw a crash or how someone died!

At first, it didn't bother me. I appreciated them showing concern, as crude and inappropriately it was conveyed. But it's like damn. The only people that talk to me about the bike or just talk about other general friendly topics are other riders (which I hardly see). And this happens ALOT it's about every time I ride. I don't want to sound insensitive to their story and all so I just stay quiet. But come on now, hearing about people dying or getting terrible maimed "because they ride a motorcycle" all the time is getting pretty ridiculous!

I don't want to hear that every time my bike is mentioned! It's a buzz kill. Even when I was shopping for my bike and talking to my friends 9/10 of those conversations would start with me telling them all excited about riding and the mood/subject come to a screeching halt because they're first response is to say "I know a friend that died." :bitchslap: What do I say to that?

I could also decide to be very sensitive and take it as an insult, them thinking that I'm an idiot. I don't ride around like a stunt rider or anything. I know my abilities and I stay within them. And any accident that is out of my hands is just that. As with any other motor vehicle.

That went a little longer than I thought it would. I just want to know if this occurrence frequency is just with me or not. I need to find some friends that ride hahah.
I have the same issue and also get "be careful on that thing" . Generally they mean well but it does get old, I know exactly what you mean

RocketRyder510

It happens to me all of the time!

One day at work, this guy sees me geared up as I enter the break room. He tells me that he rides as well. We ended up talking about people that tell you horror stories when they find out that you ride. Then, another coworker walks in and asks what were talking about (nosey, huh!). We explain, and what does she do? She starts to tell a story about her cousin who hurt/lost a limb in a motorcycle crash! :wtfgun: We (the rider and I) both look at each other, shaking our heads, as this ladie rambles on about her cousin. :bitchslap:

travisH3

Ya I don't know why but, I met a guy the other day, first thing he asked is if I have been down yet. Like whattttt???

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

I would remind all the fat people who say things like that that you know someone who died of heart disease. Or that you know someone who died in a car accident. Or that you know someone who lost a hand to a lawn mower, so that means they shouldn't mow their lawn. People who think riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous are usually the same dumbasses who text and drive.

To conclude, tell them to kindly shut the hell up. Hell, my brother and wife almost died a few days ago while we were towing a few trailers across the damn country. People may *think* that we're taking "extra" risks by riding, but the fact of the matter is that we can all die at any given time. Deal with it. (Stoopid mortality... *grumble*)

Chevyfazer

ive had very few people say things like that to me and when they do it always happend right after i was acting like a idiot, showing off or just riding squidly in general. Even though i know i was probably pushing it for them to say something like that my response is always the same "yeah well sometimes shit happens, but i can promise you this if my time comes i can only hope that it comes while im on my bike because when i go out im going out with a smile on my face!!!" then i ask them "can you say that?"

but most of the time when random people talk to me its either a stupid comment about gear like "like its never to early to be cool right" my response "no its never to early to be SAFE, all this stuff yeah this is MY SEAT BELT" or they just wanna know what kind of bike i have, and i also get asked about my eshaust alot

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

DragonBlu

I have been riding close to 45 years on the street and have heard how dangerous bikes are and how so and so was killed on a motorcycle. One of my best friends was killed on a bike. Does it bother me? Sure it does,but I enjoy riding way too much to stop. I always tell people this,"well you are going to die of something and I might as well be having fun when it happens." Just let it go in one ear and out the other and focus on being a better rider. Safe riding and enjoy!

BbyDenns

That's because motorcycles are dangerous.
I have to disagree with that statement. Cars are more dangerous than motorcycles. Drivers/riders create the danger. I never hear of a motorcycle merging over into a car and hurting the car driver, but if the opposite happens serious injury can occur to the recipient of the mistake.

DanielW0830

Statistically WE make it dangerous

Cars are safer STATISTICALLY only because when you do something your not supposed to do in a car it usually doesn't end in death.
Cars are constantly (and now with texting) getting into accidents which are non-fatal.

Here are the major factors which contribute to fatal motorcycle accidents:
* Helmet use among fatally injured motorcyclists below 50 percent
* More motorcyclist fatalities are occurring on rural roads
* High blood alcohol levels among motorcycle operators
* Half of the fatalities are related to negotiating a curve prior to the crash
* Over 80 percent of the fatalities occur off roadway
* Undivided roadways account for a majority of the fatalities
* Almost two thirds of the fatalities were associated with speeding.
* Almost 60 percent of motorcyclist fatalities occur at night
* Collision with a fixed object is a significant factor in over half of the
fatalities.
* Braking and steering maneuvers possibly contribute for almost 25
percent of the fatalities. (Wheelies?)
* Almost one third of the fatally injured operators did not have a proper
license

I'd say that if you avoid most of those things above, you percentage of being involved in an accident goes waaaaaay down.

Dan.

Chevyfazer

I have to disagree with that statement. Cars are more dangerous than motorcycles. Drivers/riders create the danger. I never hear of a motorcycle merging over into a car and hurting the car driver, but if the opposite happens serious injury can occur to the recipient of the mistake.
You kind of just gave the very reason why motorcycles ARE dangerous. It really doesn't matter what causes the danger but it's quite clear that people are safer in cars than on a motorcycle. If someone is going to run into you you are way safer in a car, that's pretty obvious. Yes riders can do everything they can to be safe and ride safe but the rider can't control what goes on around him.

Cars create more danger for motorcycles but cars themselves are much safer than a bike, I though everyone knew that lol

Y

yellowfz

What? Motorcycles are dangerous? Get out! Well, got to sell mine now didn't realize they were dangerous! :D

You need to remind people that 13% of total fatalities are from walking; http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811625.pdf
Yes walking!

The loss of 4,280 lives in pedestrian/motor vehicle crashes in 2010, nearly twelve people every day of the year, is an awful toll (NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts). Though the number of pedestrian fatalities fell from 5,585 in 1995 to 4,280 in 2010, there were an estimated 70,000 reported pedestrian injuries in 2010. Pedestrian injuries have been on a downward trend, with 70,000 reported injuries in 2009 representing a decrease of 14,000 reported injuries since 1995. However, we know from research into hospital records that only a fraction of pedestrian crashes that cause injury are ever recorded by the police.

Sounds as if though you are just as safe on a Motorcycle.:Sport:

Last edited by a moderator:

redprodigy35

I recently had a head trip about this a while back, and because of negative comments by people putting in their 2 cents I took a break from riding for about 2 weeks. It just got to me... One, two, three people. By the 15th or so I was bummed out.

I was with family and their neighbor came over, and throughout the course of an evening he went over 100 reasons why I shouldn't ride and logically and factually I will eventually crash... And so on and so on.
:deadhorse:
BUT -- This guy rode for years himself! But doesn't now because it's "too dangerous." I mean get over yourself. Your gonna talk about your beefed up Vmax back in the day, and then preach enlightenment to me?

So I'm like... WTF. Great now I'm gonna go hit up twisties and think about decapitations and all other types of nonsense. I don't ride with those thoughts in my head.

Looking back -- I just simply should have cut him off and went out about my own thing. I mean I understand people mean well, but talking about worse case scenarios and horror stories just isn't the way to go about it.

It's a ridiculous conversation to have with an unreasonable person.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Skidro

I've been riding street bikes for over 30 years so I've had my share of those conversations, but it didn't take me long to be able to take control of those conversations. Here are the two replies i use.

1. I hit a car in the side running 75+ MPH when i was 23. I tell them all about that wreck, and usually add the one where a car backed out in front of me, it isn't as exciting, was only going around 40 MPH.

2. You always have in the back of your mind where somebody died or got hurt somewhere in a freaky way. I will bring that up & say "if they had been riding a motorcycle that wouldn't have happened to them"
They usually don't know how to reply to this one

Last edited: