"Yeah I ride... oh... you know someone that crashed to?... Great..."

redwing-2001

If they go beyond a one-line comment, I will cut them off and say, "sounds like motorcycling is not for you and that seems like a pretty good decision".

Chevyfazer

If they go beyond a one-line comment, I will cut them off and say, "sounds like motorcycling is not for you and that seems like a pretty good decision".
I've done similar things a few times and it always cracks me up. My favorite being when it's raining outside and random person starts to say "not very good weather for riding" and before they can finish I kind of yell in a very sarcastic voice "holy shit, you mean to tell me it's raining outside!!!!" or if I'm not in a asshole type mood I'll just cut em off saying "no such thing as bad riding wether, just different gear"

afilipo21

Yeah me and my wife both work in a hospital, and one of the paramedics that works in our ER overheard a conversation my wife was having with one of her coworkers about my getting a bike, she was already nervous and stuff about me getting injured and this guy decided to jump in and tell her how a couple days back they went to the field and pick up a guy who crashed with his bike.

I don't understand why people does this, I mean we all drive cars too and people crash in those too all the time, I know there is more protection and whatever, but I mean is still the same issue.

It is really annoying I feel your pain.

Y

yellowfz

I've done similar things a few times and it always cracks me up. My favorite being when it's raining outside and random person starts to say "not very good weather for riding" and before they can finish I kind of yell in a very sarcastic voice "holy shit, you mean to tell me it's raining outside!!!!" or if I'm not in a asshole type mood I'll just cut em off saying "no such thing as bad riding wether, just different gear"
Or, "that's why we are riding, not many days to ride in the rain, rain riding is fun".

I ride to be different.

Have had several friends die from motorcycle accidents, still ride.

One guy called the motorcycle a murdercycle, I retorted: 'cars kill motorcyclist, motorcyclist don't kill cars.'

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaimison

3. Here's my point. All those stories of biker down and maimed or killed: What kind of gear did that biker have? What kind of gear do you have, when someone tells you those stories that bother you so much?

I'm all geared up, all the time. ATGATT. Strange how I don't hear stories of death and dismemberment. I just get comments on how intelligent and cool I am. Those are the comments I hear all the time.

When I hear the rare story of the rider who had his face peeled off, or his skin ripped to the bone, sliding down the highway, it doesn't bother me. Need I say why?
Well then you seem to be in a more tolerant environment. It's the summer in downtown LA and I ride around with Dianeze kevlar jeans and Alien jacket; Arai Signet Q helmet; and Held Air n Dry Gloves. So when these comments come around, I'm extra annoyed cuz I'm sweating my balls off in those jeans and jacket.

SAFE-T

Hearing about people dying or getting terrible maimed "because they ride a motorcycle" all the time is getting pretty ridiculous!

When I was shopping for my bike and talking to my friends 9/10 of those conversations would start with me telling them all excited about riding and the mood/subject come to a screeching halt because they're first response is to say "I know a friend that died." :bitchslap: What do I say to that?
Keep in mind that most people's reference is untrained riders who made some grave error and paid dearly for it.

Try posting this at work in your space:

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous, but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or bad judgement.

Most motorcycle accidents happen because someone does too much too soon, immediately followed by too little too late.

SAFE-T

I had some one approach me about wearing a helmet at a subway. Claimed it saved her and her husband's life.

My response to her was I usually don't where one, and that when its my time its my time.
Motorcycle helmets protect you against brain injury in low-speed crashes, and other injuries such as road rash that you would not have gotten if you had been wearing one.

In cases where a helmet would NOT have saved your life, it's usually because you die from internal injuries caused by an impact.

Which is why it's smart to wear a helmet and save the heroics for the racetrack.

SAFE-T

Yeah me and my wife both work in a hospital, and one of the paramedics that works in our ER overheard a conversation my wife was having with one of her coworkers about my getting a bike, she was already nervous and stuff about me getting injured and this guy decided to jump in and tell her how a couple days back they went to the field and pick up a guy who crashed with his bike.

I don't understand why people does this, I mean we all drive cars too and people crash in those too all the time, I know there is more protection and whatever, but I mean is still the same issue.

It is really annoying I feel your pain.
Motorcyclists are more vulnerable than occupants of a vehicle. In a collision, a motorcyclist is four times more likely to be injured and 14 times more likely to be killed than is the occupant of a vehicle.

Source: Traffic Injury Research Foundation - FAQ's

This is why people always talk about motorcycles being dangerous. People operate them without proper training and proper gear mixed with the usual amount of poor judgement and lack of due care and attention, but when things go wrong the results are worse.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

redwing-2001

That last sentence... Wow. I can't see in my head where it's "most" motorcycle accidents. Still, that's a darn good description of a panic reaction caused by lack of experience, or surprise.

Regardless of experience level, that's a good quote to keep in mind. Thanks. Rep on the way.
yeah, I thought it was a great quote as well. Regarding the "most", perhaps a slight modification would make it more accurate: Most single vehicle crashes happen because someone does too much too soon, immediately followed by too little too late.

Jaimison

You've got some gear. You're willing to ride in it when it's hot. You're smart enough to realize that the "blood, sweat and tears" is way better than just blood.

Around here, everybody either rides or knows someone who does. Ofcourse it's all squids on Harley's or stretched 'Busas, but still. Not the same where your at? I'm betting you get a lot of "You must be insane to ride that two-wheeled monstrosity!" Or something similar. As those people order their double-slim, iced mocha, they're likely more than happy to talk about how much they recycle, as they toss the plastic cup in the trash.
I almost fell out of my chair laughing as I read that last sentence. I'm getting a crash course in the left. I've always lived here, but I come from a strong military family. I was stationed in VA for3 years before here. And NOW I'm going into the music industry so all these artsy people are even more "opinionated"

And yeah, I love my gear because it's (1) Great Safety quality and (2) it just looks badass.

I was actually talking to my brother the other night about how I ride my bike like a "Grandma... A badass Grandman." :cool: