XJ6 v R1

geko

Interesting article in this weeks MCN (UK) where they put a member of the MCN staff on an R1 as the 'average rider' and WSB star Cal Crutchlow on the same R1, an R6, XJR 1300 and finally a naked XJ6.

Cal was still able to do a faster lap on the XJ6 than the 'average rider' on the R1.

So there you have it, don't chuck money at the bike, ride the one you've got better :)

MC#4

Well, I'd challenge anyone on a FZ6R or XJ6 to race me on my R1. I'm no pro rider and my R1 is an 03 (30 horse less than a new one) and I feel very confident that an fz6r would have no chance whatsoever. We're talking double the horsepower 75-80 vs. 150-155, less weight R1 is 30-40 lbs lighter, better brakes etc etc etc. The R1 is head and shoulders above an fz6r for performance.

I have both an 09 fz6r and 03 R1 and there is simply no comparison. I gotta call bullsh*t on this one.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

geko

The track they used was the handling circuit at Bruntingthorpe. The circuit had quote "pitted and broken surfaces, overbanding and some standing water" making it more like a traffic free British 'B' road than a race track.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the article. It confirms what a lot of us here are already preaching. It's (more often than not) the rider and not the bike that makes the difference. Just goes to show that numbers on paper really don't hold up much to real world applicability.

CDN6R

It is funny how what is old is new again. I remember many years ago when the RD 350 L/C hit the Yamaha dealers in 1981 and that summer they were raced against the Kaw and Honda 550's and 750's. These bikes along with the RZ350 and the RD 350 (YPVS) were known as the Giant Killlers of their time. Now the RD's and RZ's were alittle more race ready than our FZ6R and XJ6's but the result is the same. A smaller less powerful motorcycle in the hands of a skilled rider can embarasse a novice rider on a bigger more powerfull motorcycle. :thumbup:

CDN6R

Thanks for the article. It confirms what a lot of us here are already preaching. It's (more often than not) the rider and not the bike that makes the difference. Just goes to show that numbers on paper really don't hold up much to real world applicability.
+1 :thumbup:

toddjcruz

Ahh, but the difference here is that they are on a race track. You know the track, you know the road conditions, you know the on-coming traffic. You can push it to the limit of your abilities and be safe, you have the whole track. On a racetrack, I would be riding to 100% of my abilities as I can count on those conditions. On the back roads of the public street, things change. You simply CANT hit the corner at your maximum and if you make a mistake, just plan on going wide. You must keep it within the limits of the road you are on and that reduces your overall cornering ability, unless you are the type to say ‘I’ll risk it, what are the odds that the corner coming up has a bit a gravel on it, or some leafs or a pot hole, or a VERY uneven pave job’. If that’s your style, you can get your 600 to keep up with a 1000 no problem. You probably won’t be doing that for long, odd will catch up with you. On the road, the safest place to catch up to someone is on the straits.

So, on a track like that, clearly a skilled rider can push the bike all the way and keep up with the average Joe on the faster bike. But my guess is the average Joe in that test is riding just like he would on the street, playing it safe. Good for him!

Spunky99

Not to argue with MC#4 as he is right to a point, there are certain circumstances where some bikes have a distinct advantage over others on a given road course.

A prime example is the downhill ride on Latigo Canyon Rd from Kanan Dume Rd in Malibu.
I have a friend that was world champ on a YZR50 that cannot be beat by anyone on that road. Why? Because it is downhill and the HP is meaningless.
The light little bike screams while the heavier bikes have to slow for the turns.

Uphill, the YZR50 is a slug....but downhill, he stays on it and in the corners he retains 100% of his speed.

Now since the YZR50 is setup for racing and has all the suspension work done, I find it hard to believe a stock FX6R could corner well enough to beat any real sport bike. My BS meter just keeps going off when I hear stories like the thread starter. Maybe if Rossi was riding the Xj6 and a total noob was on the R1 or R6....:D

Do the suspension upgrade to the FZ6R and see what she can really do...even with the weight and power deficiencies, it is a pretty good ride.

JonKerr

Elite Member

toddjcruz

Agree there. I never think twice about hammering the throttle out of a corner, something I would think twice about on my 1100!

Ohh, but how I LOVED to power down the straits.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

Cal Crutchlow isn't exactly your everyday rider. He's on Yamaha's radar to replace Rossi in MotoGP next year. Or replace Ben Spies at Tech3 when he replaces Rossi. And anyone who's fast enough to race at an international level will make pretty much anyone else look slow in a test just like this. Even guys who ride fast on the street and ride track days regularly aren't pushing those liter bikes more than about 75% of what they can do with a pro rider on them. Look at lap times from a track day regular vs. an AMA or World Superbike racer on the same bike. It would be a HUGE difference. Those guys know how to get those bikes to their limit. That's why they get paid to do it.
I think this proves my point....thanks John...