WTF??? Seriously???

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MaximumHP

All of what everybody said, plus I can't find corn half the time in grocery stores since we are turning it all into gas :banghead:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

All of what everybody said, plus I can't find corn half the time in grocery stores since we are turning it all into gas :banghead:
It's not really in season now yet, though. Wait until end of July, it'll be DELICIOUS.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

EsrTek

It's going to take the oil/gas giants to stand up against them otherwise we're stuck...Find the EPA something else that lines their pockets and this E-XX shit will go away.
Problem is.... what will the next thing be!!!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

06330i

The crappy part about getting ethanol free gas for me is the closest ones are about a mile away, but are in a marina, so the cost is about $4.90 a gallon -_-

Y

yellowfz

We got some e-free gas in Ok and man it was better running and fuel mileage, of course I have been tuning cars and trucks with the stupid E-10 around here for years, so nothing new.
E-10 acts similar to regular gas, but E-15 don't know about, except a loss in mileage is for sure. We don't have O2 sensors that try and keep stoich (lambda 1) on our bikes here, yet. If you look at a stock tune versus a E-85 tune you can see the tricks they do to make, after the sensor picks up the E-content (ECU checks at every fill up what the AFR is like, GM type algorithm which has a sliding E-AFR scale), the ride run on the E-85, about 24 tables are altered that I have seen.
Not all stations have true E-10 it may very from 5% to 10% which plays havoc with trying to tune for it.
E-85 is some good stuff, 105 octane and 100% corn fuel is 115 octane, lots of power but sucks the fuel. With E-85 you can run insane timing without knock, dump fuel and pour on the timing.
Seriously the Moonshine crap is bad (as in not good) stuff, I always knew they would one day find a way to water down gas, enter Ethanol.
But for racing, I am trying to talk my nephew into running E-85 in his Pro Stock (2400hp) ride, makes good power.
SO keep the E-octane for racing if they want, but drop for the street rides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riccochet

E85 is great for F/I vehicles. Tuned my GSR on E85. Throws down some amazing numbers and right around 100 octane don't have to worry about detonation. A lot cheaper than 105 or 110 race fuel as well.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Agree E85 should make great cheap race fuel. Racers has been using alcohol base fuel for decades! (Methanol) You need about twice as much but it wirk great!

Indycars have been using Ethanol for years now. I know it's not 100% ethanol but it's close. Something to do with being alcohol and state law... If there's a bit of gas in it it's not consider a "beverage" LOL

Nothing wrong with alcohol base fuel... just not the right stuff to be use in road car. If they are really concern about using less oil, bring all the Clean diesel that goes 60 MPG all day long in Europe.
Yeah, power to mod ratio, diesel beats gas hands down. Diesel you can get 100 extra hp with a $100 bucks, for gas 100 extra hp cost you $1000 easily.

Methanol is different than Ethanol, way more corrosive, people get the 2 mixed up, Ethanol acts as cleaner if run in older cars and will make gunk turn loose clogging filters, but has no or little effect on plastic, rubber. But Methanol is highly corrosive and does require different thinking. There was a discussion years ago about E-85 and older cars, a guy on the tuning site ran E-85 in his 2000 Blazer with no ill effects, well loss of gas mileage, I think he did have larger injectors (which a E-85 will have), he did comment about fuel filter getting dirty with residue from the tank and lines.

Was just on the tuning site I am a member of and a guy was just talking about testing his gas and it was 6% Ethanol, trying to chase that perfect tune is hard now days. :) His next fill up may be 10% or 8%.
So just goes to show you the ECU is always adjusting to different fuel E-content, I do a ballpark AFR and let it go at that.

Alex6

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

I only run 100% gas in my vehicles. After having to replace the entire fuel system on my boat several years ago I'll never run ethanol, at any percentage, in anything I own. Even my damn lawnmower runs on 93 pure gas. lol
No such stations in Corrupticut, Taxachussets, RI, NH. I expected and predicted that even before clicking on the link. New England should be renamed as New Russia...