Would you spend a lot on a helmet?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Merc250r

Helmets, like everything else in the motorcycle world, come down to the level of risk you're willing to take. I have a $210 HJC IS-MAX helmet that had the features I wanted and happened to fit great with thicker cheek pads. The more you pay, the more technologies you're typically getting. Some of the helmets use shells that destroy themselves on impact, much like modern cars, to dispate the energy of a blow; others use just a polycarbonate shell that bends and directs the force over a larger area to lessen the impact. Below that you find different foam materials that crush at differed rates and different ways to further dampen the impact force.

That said, I'm reasonably confident a lesser helmet will protect a person's head in most crash situations the average rider faces. As speeds increase, however, the more force your noggin might potentially sustain. That said, it never hurts to have more protection.

As for Snell versus DOT, that's a mixed bag. Snell does have higher standards, but it's also a racing standard. It's named for a racer, Peter Snell, who died when his helmet split in half. I've seen lately that they've begun specializing now between types of sports the helmets are for (e.g. Automotive) and limit the tests. A Snell rated helmet for automotive won't necessarily be tested for abrassion resistance, but be fire retardant. The motorcycle ones won't be fire retardant, but abrasion resistant.

Also, as someone said earlier, it means they meet or exceed the standards, so it is quite possible that a DOT helmet exceeds the Snell standards, they just didn't pay for the Snell testing.

It's all things to consider in helmet selection. I passed on the G-MAX helmets because even picking them up, they just felt like they were poorly made.
I wonder how they do helmet testing, shoot a head out of a canon against a wall? lol

JonKerr

Elite Member

Fizzer6R

the helmet test article Motorcyclist magazine did years ago proved (by dropping head sized weights and measuring G's impact) that a Snell rated expensive lid did not protect any better than a sub $100. DOT.

of course top brands Arai and Shoei did not like this worried it would hurt sales. as a result, real world truth cost someone their job :mad:
good read:
How The Truth About Motorcycle Helmets Got A Journalist Fired

here's the original article and also Snell response:
Download Blowing the Lid Off pdf

Heineken

Elite Member

slaythoven

I got the Shoei RF1000 for $160 last year when I needed a helmet for the MSF course. I got it because it was the brand that my boss was riding when he got ran off the road by a truck. It saved his life.

I haven't really needed another one since.

Detrich

based on what i've read online, the difference btwn DOT or SNELL is negligible. this is because if you get in a collision severe enough to warrant SNELL rating, your body will be so broken that it won't matter. (ie you're dead anyways.) grim way of putting it, but that's the take away... that's why either DOT or SNELL or ECC 2205 are all ok. in the U.S. tho, DOT is required by law i believe.

dcBear78

You guys are lucky. Helmets there are cheap. On this side of the pond the average Shoei/Arai fetch around A$1000 (touch more in US$). Because the local authorities demand extra testing (ADR's, which pushes up the price). I can't put my hands on the details right now (will keep looking) but something like every 100th helmet brought in must be tested (destroyed) to ensure they still meet requirements.

So a cheapy here is about $300.

And yes importing is not permitted even though it is the exact same helmet. I guess it is possible some manufacturers may make Aussie specific variants, but I would think if they pass Euro standards they should pass Aussie ones?

gdh8tsu

I ended up getting this one for 120.00 USD on Amazon which I like alot though its a little on the heavy side its fits pretty good and has some nice ventalation.

EXO-700 SERIES / EXO-700 PREDATOR

Been wearing the last couple days since I dropped my scorpion on the face shield now thats all scratched up :( its lighter and has the pull down smoke visor it seems to fog a little more then the Scorpion but, overall it seems close to the same just not as tight around the Jaw area. I ended up paying 125.00 for this one discounted from the dealer. It's the HJC LS-16 Gloss black.

Welcome to HJC Helmets

Detrich

the HJC IS-16 is simply a fantastic helmet, imo... and, i absolutely love mine! before buying it i also tried the Scorpion EXO-1000, but it was difficult to get on/ off, it was heavy, and it also didn't fit the shape of my head that well. sadly, the HJC IS-16 Scratch graphic is now discontinued. so, i looked online and found a close-out deal on it last week. and, i bought an extra one- just in case i drop mine or damage it. <lol> (a nosey kid at the griffith observatory almost pushed my helmet off the table onto the ground.) the new IS-16 graphic that they have looks too weirded out to me.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Fizzer6R

keep seeing ads for Bell's new helmets with photochromic shields that change from dark in sun to clear when no ultraviolet UV's. seriously considering getting one maybe next year as usually head to the mountains during day and get home in spring/fall when starting to get dark. also have fond memories of Bell as it was my first dirt lid

Bell Transitions SolFX Photochromic Face Shield - RevZilla

Merc250r

after trying everything on

was going to get the x12 shoei, but when I put the agv I was sold. And once I rode with it, AMAZING

Halon

I haven't posted in ages it seems like but I just felt like chiming in on this - any rider from any walk of life can have an opinion on helmets I figure.

I bought an Arai Profile helmet and never looked back. I know it was expensive ($600.00 usd.) at the time, but in the long haul I'm glad I did. My old HJC (no clue what model) was wobbly as hell on the freeway, and had cheap visor pivots that broke after about 4 months of steady use. The Arai helmet just feels quality, and has very little problems with aerodynamic profile at higher speeds (a territory I'm exploring much more lately... :D)

Sometimes I am sad when I look at the helmet and its covered in pit marks and bug guts, but my philosophy is that when it comes to protecting my life I'm willing to pay a little bit extra for comfort and the security of knowing that this helmet has gone through meticulous quality control, and generations of experience. I will buy another Arai helmet in the future. Big :thumbup:

Detrich

it looks like the marine from the video game Halo... :)

AGV GP-Tech helmets are really nice. super light and high quality, but noisy as frak. even with ear plugs, it's still very loud.

JonKerr

Elite Member