Woodcraft Clip Ons

Vulpine

I installed Woodcraft clip-ons with 1.5 inch risers and have ridden with them for over a week now. I waited to post because I wanted to test them before commenting on them. They will not install under the triple clamp because of our clamp's design. Therefore the forks had to be raised just over 1.5 inches. I had reservations doing this as I feared it would affect the geometry too much. Thus far, I have experienced no headshake at all. With that said, These clip ons are awesome. They look great and the bike feels like a totally diferent bike. The stock bars are great if you want a sport-tourer or the comfort. I ride 60 plus miles daily about 90% interstate travel. These clip ons give you a more tucked in perch that keeps you out of the wind. The quality of craftsmanship of these is great and the customer service from Woodcraft is awesome. I originally ordered 2 inch risers because I wasn't sure if anything lower would clear the fairing. There was still some clearance so I ordered the 1.5 risers. Total cost plus shipping was $191. They are worth every penny. I deliberated long and hard between the Apex and these. The Apex appear to have more versatility as they are adjustable. However I liked the look of the Woodcraft. Thanks to Dakinechick and all the others who posted about your clip ons. Enclosed are pics. If anyone has any questions just ask. Enjoy!

Attachments

Spunky99

Very nice.
You got the front end down for better cornering and a nice set of clipons installed in one shot. It looks great with the risers removed. Where did you get the fillers to plug the holes?

Vulpine

Very nice.
You got the front end down for better cornering and a nice set of clipons installed in one shot. It looks great with the risers removed. Where did you get the fillers to plug the holes?
Thanks for the compliments. I got the plugs from a local hardware store. Check out the screws, washers, etc. aisle at your hardware store. They shouldn't cost more than 25 cents each.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Vulpine

Looking good. I lowered my bike too with a lowering link and 1 1/4 down on front. Feel good. The bike feel more sable with a lower C/G. Gotta do the stand sometime soon...
Thanks. Yeah the low center of gravity of our bikes was a huge selling point for me.

LS6TT

Looking good. I lowered my bike too with a lowering link and 1 1/4 down on front. Feel good. The bike feel more sable with a lower C/G. Gotta do the stand sometime soon...
not to highjack, but can you lower the front without lowering the rear and gain stability?

Vulpine

not to highjack, but can you lower the front without lowering the rear and gain stability?
I was reluctant to lower the front only, but after reading from many sources who've done the mod I gave it a try. At first I had FZ1 bars tilted down and just lowered the front a little bit at a time. After no issues I took a chance on these bars and lowered it to it's current status. The bike is much more responsive in the corners and I've experienced no head shake. I don't have the link, but the FZ6 forum has a thread that covers this in great detail if you're interested.

swatguy

I don't know that you gain stability, but you do gain ease of entry in to turns and a more responsive bike. IT doesn't loose any stability when you do this either. There are a couple articles linked here on the site and lots of info on lowering just the front forks an inch or two and gaining some performance all with zero negative effects. Just take you time and measure measure measure to insure they are lined up equally. Its and easy mod that takes a couple mins and worth it for sure in my opinion.

Those Woodcrafts look great. Dam nice touch. The only negative I ever get about the FZ6R is the handlebars. They look like an after thought.....like they said awww crap we forgot the bars now what.

Vulpine

I don't know that you gain stability, but you do gain ease of entry in to turns and a more responsive bike. IT doesn't loose any stability when you do this either. There are a couple articles linked here on the site and lots of info on lowering just the front forks an inch or two and gaining some performance all with zero negative effects. Just take you time and measure measure measure to insure they are lined up equally. Its and easy mod that takes a couple mins and worth it for sure in my opinion.

Those Woodcrafts look great. Dam nice touch. The only negative I ever get about the FZ6R is the handlebars. They look like an after thought.....like they said awww crap we forgot the bars now what.
Yes, I never cared for the handlebars at all. I tried Suburban Machinery bars which on a Streetfighter or a Monster look GREAT, but they don't fit our bike. Even the FZ1 bars which were better still just didn't do it. I'm really pleased with these. Now I just need some black levers and a subdued lower front forks and I'll be content. Until I catch the next mod bug anyway. I read your thread on the R6S. Congrats. A little off subjuect-The front fender on your bike looks as if it may fit the FZ6R. Does it appear to match up?

richierich781

NICE! I'm interested in performing this mod, how hard is it to lower the front end? thanks in advance

I installed Woodcraft clip-ons with 1.5 inch risers and have ridden with them for over a week now. I waited to post because I wanted to test them before commenting on them. They will not install under the triple clamp because of our clamp's design. Therefore the forks had to be raised just over 1.5 inches. I had reservations doing this as I feared it would affect the geometry too much. Thus far, I have experienced no headshake at all. With that said, These clip ons are awesome. They look great and the bike feels like a totally diferent bike. The stock bars are great if you want a sport-tourer or the comfort. I ride 60 plus miles daily about 90% interstate travel. These clip ons give you a more tucked in perch that keeps you out of the wind. The quality of craftsmanship of these is great and the customer service from Woodcraft is awesome. I originally ordered 2 inch risers because I wasn't sure if anything lower would clear the fairing. There was still some clearance so I ordered the 1.5 risers. Total cost plus shipping was $191. They are worth every penny. I deliberated long and hard between the Apex and these. The Apex appear to have more versatility as they are adjustable. However I liked the look of the Woodcraft. Thanks to Dakinechick and all the others who posted about your clip ons. Enclosed are pics. If anyone has any questions just ask. Enjoy!

Vulpine

NICE! I'm interested in performing this mod, how hard is it to lower the front end? thanks in advance
It's not difficult at all. Most people are elevating their bikes to perform the lowering. I adjusted mine on the kickstand. Just loosen each fork separately, and carefully. Search the post for a tutorial. I believe there is a post with pictures. I know there is a detailed post on the FZ6 forum. Just be careful not to lower too much. It can be tedius to try and pull the fork back up. If you have any trouble just let us know. We'll try and talk you through it. I've commuted 60+ miles each day with these bars and they are awesome. Money and time well spent. Good Luck.

Parker6R

Just curious as to the reason these cannot be installed UNDER the triple like the Apex's. Will the clamp not fit or does it just rub the inner plastic?

Thanks!

Smokey_Doc

Looks great. Where did you order these from? And how hard was it to do this yourself and how much time did it take you? Thanks again for the thread they look awesome.

Vulpine

To my dismay, our triple clamp's design prohibits the clip on from fitting under the clamp. On the Woodcraft website there is a PDF file with instructions on installing the clip ons. Within the tutorial there are diagrams that give you an idea if their clamps will fit your bike. While perched on the bike, look at the triple clamp. The 2:00 position of the shape is what prohibits the Woodcraft from fitting. Mainly because that lip on the top of our fairing (just under the bars) makes us require a riser. Hope this helps.

Vulpine

Looks great. Where did you order these from? And how hard was it to do this yourself and how much time did it take you? Thanks again for the thread they look awesome.
I ordered them directly from Woodcraft. I'm glad I did because I stripped one of the bolts and they sent me new bolts free of charge. If I didn't strip the bolt it would have taken maybe two hours. Maybe a little longer because I lowered one of my forks too much and had to work it back. (That was FUN ) But if you lower little by little (especially if you have a shop with a lift) and you have some experience in doing this work it could be done in less time I suppose. I'm learning as I go so the learning curve takes a little longer. Woodcraft was AWESOME as they gave excellent advice on any questions I gave plus the replacement bolts. I was in my dealership for service last week and saw a FZ6R on the showroom with stock bars. I couldn't believe the difference. I had forgotten how much the stock bars make it look like a Standard with a fairing. I'll check through my research for links to other threads that helped me and post them later for you. In hindsight I would have taken pictures on my progress. Hope this helps. Thanks for the compliments.

Kdubb223

Just ordered my set :)

I got mine from moto-heaven for 169 shipped, hopefully install goes smoothly!

Thanks for the post Vulpine