Woodcraft Clip Ons

Kdubb223

I have 1.5 in Woodcrafts and it doesn't change the riding position all that much. You still sit upright with slightly more forward lean. Took about a week of commuting to get used to it. I like the set up mainly because if you want to semi tuck its much easier as the clip ons are narrower, however you can just as easily ride full upright. Hope that helps.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Kdubb223

I'm 6 ft as well. About 29 in from shoulder to finger tip. Possibly your clone at this point... but yeah I cruise most of the time upright one hand on throttle without an issue. Also low speed turns are just as easy as stock. I understand there may be stability issues with lowering the front but from my experience with the clip ons I would say its a non issue. Main thing is taking the time to raise each fork exactly ( or as close as possible ) to the 1.5 inches. I'm sure bad stuff will happen if either of the forks are not level.

Bottom line is that the clip ons are more of a looks thing. Having ridden multiple SS's, the fz6r with clip ons is still a comfortable upright bike.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member
Last edited:

kvc25

just got my woodcraft's and going to install them today, however when reading through the instructions it mentioned doing a final torque check on the bolts. i can't seem to find anywhere a number for foot-lbs to tighten them to. woodcraft is closed til monday so was hoping someone on here could suggest how tight they should be. thank you.

also, i can't seem to get these damn plastic plugs on the end off. i'd like to put my own bar ends on and not have this ugly knob sticking out from the grips. ideas on how to get them off if they even come off?
They come off. Just takes a bit of grip from a pair of pliers and they pull right out. They're not threaded or anything so you don't gotta worry about turning in the same direction. I actually think mine came out easier when I went back and forth as I was pulling on it with my pliers.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

are you guys only lowering the front or the front and rear? I'm 6'2" and don't want to lower the rear its already low enough...

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

when lowering either end of the bike it's always best to lower the other end an equal amount. i initially only lowered the front until i learned that's not the best way to go. so i recently bought a lowering link and am having the back end lowered to match. i'm also lowering the back because i found after installing the clip-ons and having the front lowered, it put more strain on my wrists when braking. lowering the back will help alleviate that. i'm 6' and don't need the back end lowered either. just keep in mind that's not the ONLY reason to consider lowering the rear.

I just don't tkink a lower rear would be comfortable for me, maybe it will I don't know. maybe I will upgrade the suspension before I lower it and do clipons...

Schizobomb

For you out there who did the mod, is there any interference problems with the fork and wheel when you had lowered the front ?

The wheel seems pretty close to the upper fairing. Is the fork able to do full stoke and/or left to right without any problems ?

Thanks !

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Neme

For you out there who did the mod, is there any interference problems with the fork and wheel when you had lowered the front ?

The wheel seems pretty close to the upper fairing. Is the fork able to do full stoke and/or left to right without any problems ?

Thanks !
I lowered mine 1.5 inches with no problems at full compression. However the horn was oftly close to my front fender. A bit to close for my liking. So I simply loosened the horn bracket, twisted the horn up, and tightened her back down just to be safe. It added maybe a half inche more clearance or so. It's not necessary but very easy to do so I did it to calm my mind so I didn't worry about it.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Neme

So did you do a lowering link? I'm thinking of ordering some woodcrafts and a lowering link since most seem to think handling will be compromised if I don't lower the rear.
I know you didn't ask me but here's my input on this. The stock fz6r is too high in the front. Lowering it 1.5 inches in the front will change the handling but in my opinion it makes it quicker. It livens up the handling. When you drop the front the bike feels like it wants to go threw turns. It even gives you quicker response time when you have to swerve. You don't have to lower the rear. I personally think its better with the rear at stock height because it makes it handle more like a SuperSport with how much more responsive it is. But, its all preference.