wisdome on gas...

bmw675

*wisdom*
i was talking to a harley guy just now and he said he wont buy gas at our local gas station b/c it only has one hose and he uses premium.
he said by the time he gets premium into the hose, he doesnt need much more. (makes sense).

he went on to say that he can tell a difference between fuels.
i told him mine has been sounding rattly/raspy at all rpms and he said that is the same thing his does.
so my question is, what brand of fuel does everyone use, and which octane?

i myself have been using shell regular unleaded.

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Yamaha recommends only the 87 octane and the bike runs great on it so that is all we use... for all of them in the past as well as the present. :D

WIyamirider

If his engine is setup to correctly run premium (milled heads, high-compression pistons, timing/fuel map changes with a power commander), then yes, he would very easily be able to tell the difference in premium and regular fuel. If the ignition system in his bike is not able to adjust itself for lower octane fuels, his engine will experience pre-ignition, it'll sound like it wants to blow up, and eventually, it will.

The FZ6R engine is setup from the factory to run on 87 octane. In stock form, running higher octane fuel is kind of a waste of money, and will actually give you less power. 93 octane burns slower and has a higher resistance to knocking, but in order to use that octane to its full potential, it needs to be compressed more than 87 octane.

I would suspect bad gas. Try switching to a different place next time you need gas. Maybe the tanks are bad, or there's something wrong with the lines? If they don't do a lot of business, it could take them a while to use up their supply if they happened to get a batch of skunky gas.

I personally run 87 octane from whatever gas station is closest when I need gas.

Last edited:

bmw675

That seems a bit unlikely. I don't know the exact measurements of the hose attached to a gas pump, but if you assume it's 1 inch in diameter (I'm pretty sure this is on the high side), and 10 feet long, it can hold 0.407999 gallons
i know .407 doesnt seem like alot, but if you are only putting in 4 gallons or less, thats 10% right there. i actually did get gas from a different place last time, but again its a high turnover gas station.
does winter fuel play into anything?

JonKerr

Elite Member

elderproctor

Running Rough!

Was low on fuel and went to the nearest station and there is a difference. My bike's engine is running very rough. My husband started it just to warm it up and it shut off twice just idling, never did that before. I will not go there again! I will go to the exxon or shell near by to preserve the performance of my bike.

By the way, I used 87 octane at this off bran station and now I have to burn it out and replace it with a more reputable gas to regain the performance of my bike.

Lesson learned. :(

I will continue with 87 octane..

F

FZ6Rgurl

I don't know if you guys have ethanol free premium at your Shell stations, but that's what I put in my bike. And to be honest, I've noticed a difference in mileage and performance. It's a bit more expensive, but it makes up for the long run. I have another gas station that is wanting to put 110 octane ethanol free in, I think that's a bit much for my bike.

Heineken

Elite Member

gearhead

Fuel tanks

Petroleum fuel pumps are designed to drain the contents from the disposal device back into the underground tank. This is to prevent potential leakage from a "loaded" hose that may contaminate drinking water, creeks, rivers, and other environmentally sensitive habitats. Fueling stations are generally designed with 3 tanks: low, middle, and higher grade octane. The mid-grade is created by mixing the low and higher grade octane from the fuel delivery truck and the result is a less-than-exact octane point calculation. This is also why any remainder of what is left in the 3 hoses is designed to drain back into the mid-grade tank. The collection of the unused fuel is generally considered an average, or "non-essental" part of the mid-grade octane equation, and is also why results from mid-grade can be widely ranged. Remember, the purpose of this is to collect unused product and return it back into the tank where it can be safely stored. This is because we have learned that once our underground drinking water and other water sources are contaminated, it is virtually impossible to clean and is lost as a resource for a long time.

ramflyer1899

The fuel cut off at the gas station is not at the handle it's at the pump before the fuel enters the hose. That's why when it "clicks" off fuel continues to trickle out of the hose.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

i knew the manual said 87, but im just going to put premium in the next couple of times to see if it cures my problem. besides, its not like my truck that takes 27 gallons to fill up, we are only talking about less than a dollar each fill up to go premium.

Raelcreve

I believe you can run it as low as 87, but my dealer also told me that higher octane and better gas (no ethanol) will make the bike run better, get better gas mileage, and give better power.

To confirm this, I've run mostly on 91 ethanol free, then emptied the gas tank and put 105 ethanol free in. The super high octane stuff made a difference. The engine purred like a kitten and there was a notable power difference at higher RPMs. Also, I got a bit better gas mileage (about 10%). But at 2.5 times the price, not worth running all the time.

My plan is to stick with the highest non-ethanol gas I can from my local station (91) and about every 8-10 tanks fill up with the 105 stuff to clean things out.

I may try 87 to see if it makes any difference going down, but I know in my car (Honda engine) it makes a huge difference so...

The cost difference between 87 and 91 is negligible in filling up a bike, it's more about mileage and performance that I'm worried about.

I will tell you, the ethanol stuff will choke your bike. I made the mistake of filling up with it once (I was at a Conoco and found out after I filled not all the Conoco's around here are ethanol free) and my bike did not like it at all.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
F

FZ6Rgurl

I know most of the Shell stations are doing the non-ethanol gas. In Oregon, they have it to where you can only fill up dual-sport bikes not harley's or crotch-rockets which is gay. But I've befriended one Shell station and they let me fill up the ethanol-free premium. :D

JonKerr

Elite Member

cbzdel

no such thing as ethanol free in WA since the governor signed a bill for it!!! BUT I keep hearing a radio commercial about a tribal reservation that has ethanol free gas, but its not very close to there I live..