When should I change the air filter?

Nick89

In the manual it says every 24,000 miles but that seems like a very long time.

I used the search feature and did not find anything pertaining to this subject.

findmadhav

If you feel 24K miles is too long for that, you can go ahead and change it to K&N air filter sooner. Once you do that you dont need to worry since they say it is for lifetime.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

rr_double_rr

The filter is good for a life time... you still need to clean it and lube it every now and then. It's just cost efficient... nothing to do with performance. :thumbup:
+1. K&N on my Ram air filter said to clean and lube with each oil change, 3k miles. I would bet on about the same interval since it is more exposed to road grime on a bike. Speaking of which, I need to get mine done.

KeysRider3

My bike's air filter is assaulted daily by high humidity, salt air, coral dust, small insects, and surprise rain showers, so I like the idea of "out with the old, in with the new" based on visual inspection.

tyrex13

This filter has ~13,500 miles on it and the bike would barely run while in place. I replaced with a K&N and will clean once a year going forward.

JSP

Super Moderator
Dirty :D :zombie:

Y

yellowfz

This filter has ~13,500 miles on it and the bike would barely run while in place. I replaced with a K&N and will clean once a year going forward.

Couldn't you just use a spot remover? :confused:
Only dirty in one area, I see you are still Hr (Helmholtz resonator) dependent.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

6R Blackout

I would open that beer and just think about it, once you finish the beer you should have your answer!:iconbeer:

Michael Wilson

Ive actually seen dyno runs that show reduced power wit a KnN filter... Havent tested this theory myself but it seem quite logical

bleedinblue

Elite Member

z21-i

The filter is good for a life time... you still need to clean it and lube it every now and then. It's just cost efficient... nothing to do with performance. :thumbup:
Marthy you are definitely the performance guru of the FZ6R, but K and N does advertise their filter as designed to "increase horsepower and acceleration" . I have no idea if it really does or not but they claim it to be.

Thoughts ?

6R Blackout

Well if K&N doesn't add HP they sure chrarge you the premo price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 6R Blacout

bleedinblue

Elite Member

tyrex13

Couldn't you just use a spot remover? :confused:
Only dirty in one area, I see you are still Hr (Helmholtz resonator) dependent.
I got the bike in July and it's as though the previous owner did zero maintenance. Original tires etc... I've ordered new tires, just did the filter, planning plugs, oil, chain/sprockets etc this winter. I'd like to get it back to proper form before I start mods. It's been a fun bike so far.

Dan McLean

Looking at the photo of the air filter which needs cleaned, it seems that the part where the air goes into the filter is restricted as only about 20% ish of the filter is being used. One of the guys on here from Melbourne AU showed me a video of how to increase air volume into your filter by drilling holes at the bottom,, doing this should mean that the whole of the area of the filter will be used as opposed to the small 20% ish used in a standard air box. So to sum it up, drill out the bottom of the air box or remove the bottom completely and this will make your bike sound much better, may, and i say may increase power as the standard air box does seem a little restricted, plus your air filter should last longer without needing replaced, as in the case of a K&Z you wont need to clean it as much...