What the deal with clip-on handle bars?

Tom2112

I see a lot of people swapping the stock handle bars for clip-ons. What's the deal with that? What's the motivation? Is there some advantage to it, or is it mainly a cosmetic kinda thing?

eskimo10

I see a lot of people swapping the stock handle bars for clip-ons. What's the deal with that? What's the motivation? Is there some advantage to it, or is it mainly a cosmetic kinda thing?
I did the mod due to an accident, being cheaper than repairs. In any case - I saw an aesthetic appeal to it, so yes I like the cosmetic aspect and how it looks now versus the bicycle style handle bars. However, I did notice a slightly better handle on the bike after lowering the front end some to accommodate the clip ons.

So.. little bit of both - cosmetics and performance.

Chucker

Fraze

I'm sure opinions will vary, but you could ask the same about replacing stock turn signals, or swapping out the front fork spring, replacing the exhaust, changing your mirrors...and the list goes on. To each his own, but for me it came down to 3 things;

1. Riding position
2. Looks
3. I was already dropping the front anyway

Every bike I've owned has had clipons including my current F4i, so I guess for me I just prefer them, I dunno really. Does anyone leave a bike stock? I know I never have

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Drennan57

More aggressive riding position, easier to maneuver, and looks a lot better.
Since when do clip ons = easier to maneuver?

An looks are subjective. Personally I think most aftermarket clip on setups look cheap but maybe yours is different.

The riding position will surely change and getting in full tuck will feel more natural instead of the elbows in hands out stuff but the handlebar in no way effects my ability to ride fast and controlled.

I know you want to justify your time and money but I feel like some of you guys are reaching a bit here.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bro_paul

Everything is subjective just like your opinion. Never really heard one complaint from someone that changed to clip ons. Seems more natural for the 6r. Handling is different mostly because the front is lowered. Bike dips into corners easier. I have ZERO problems maneuvering at any speed with mine. I can maneuver at idle speed just using rear brake and clutch. If they're installed right bar still has full range of motion. Talk about looking cheap, the 6r handlebar was an afterthought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'd have to agree about the lowering=better or easier maneuvering. I did the fz1 bars and lowered the front about 40mm and it's a completely different bike. Not just as far as position but handling is heaps better. I didn't want to spend money on clip ons and from what i have read this wasnt far off clip on position etc. Clip ons do look better IMO.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fraze

Since when do clip ons = easier to maneuver?

An looks are subjective. Personally I think most aftermarket clip on setups look cheap but maybe yours is different.

I know you want to justify your time and money but I feel like some of you guys are reaching a bit here.
That's the very definition of subjective; personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. If we weren't subjective by nature we'd all be riding blue FZ6R's with clipons ;)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Drennan57

Everything is subjective just like your opinion. Never really heard one complaint from someone that changed to clip ons. Seems more natural for the 6r. Handling is different mostly because the front is lowered. Bike dips into corners easier. I have ZERO problems maneuvering at any speed with mine. I can maneuver at idle speed just using rear brake and clutch. If they're installed right bar still has full range of motion. Talk about looking cheap, the 6r handlebar was an afterthought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm glad you are happy with it. Many people see the handlebar as a positive feature and it is for many reasons. I'd have to ride one that was properly installed to decide whether it's worth my time. An I'm already running a lowered front so the whole flick argument is moot. I'm not hating on clipons, in fact this is the first bike I've bought with a handlebar besides dirtbikes. I'm just speaking as someone who has had both and prefers each for different reason. As far as the FZ6R goes clipon mods are for the owners mindset and have little to do with the abilities of this motorcycle.

Fraze

I'm not justifying anything anyway, I didn't buy clipons for mine, I moved to a GSXR instead.
I ride my CBR on weekends and I bought the 6R purley for commuting and I SWORE up and down I wouldn't do a thing to it ... Alas, I've done like 6 things to it <face palm>

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member