what oil filter do you use?

SoCal600

i have 52k on my bike and i been using a bosch 3300 oil filters for about the last 40k. Havent done a UOA yet (used oil analysis) yet to determine how my engine is REALLY holding up. The bike starts everytime, runs great in hot or cold weather, doesnt burn a drop of oil with 3k oil change intervals. Is anyone else using automotive filters instead of factory? Ive done quite some reading online on motorcyle and automotive filters. One big difference is that the bypass relief pressures are different. Our pumps are obviously smaller than a car or truck, so our oil filter relief pressures are lower than a car. Other than that is basicly the same. Bosch 3300, 3323 will fit our bikes but the 3323 is a taller filter and will be touching the fairing. Purolator pl14612 will fit, mobile 1 m1-08 will fit. Noted filters are same size as factory filter, filter pleated area and micron ratings are slightly different, cant go wrong with the bosch :) sorry for getting side tracked, this was written as a question to see whos running factory and whos running automotive. ANY in put would be great :)

Alex6

i have 52k on my bike and i been using a bosch 3300 oil filters for about the last 40k. Havent done a UOA yet (used oil analysis) yet to determine how my engine is REALLY holding up. The bike starts everytime, runs great in hot or cold weather, doesnt burn a drop of oil with 3k oil change intervals. Is anyone else using automotive filters instead of factory? Ive done quite some reading online on motorcyle and automotive filters. One big difference is that the bypass relief pressures are different. Our pumps are obviously smaller than a car or truck, so our oil filter relief pressures are lower than a car. Other than that is basicly the same. Bosch 3300, 3323 will fit our bikes but the 3323 is a taller filter and will be touching the fairing. Purolator pl14612 will fit, mobile 1 m1-08 will fit. Noted filters are same size as factory filter, filter pleated area and micron ratings are slightly different, cant go wrong with the bosch :) sorry for getting side tracked, this was written as a question to see whos running factory and whos running automotive. ANY in put would be great :)
No matter what many might say I will not use a car oil filter (pl14612) in a motorcycle due to the difference in operating pressure. Just an example - consider your car and motorcycle red line. The m/c engine allows for the safe rpm level up to 14000, the car 7-8000.
To answer your question - I use K&N 204 mainly for a convenience of the attached nut, so I don't have to fight with a greased melon trying to unscrew the oil filter covered with the chain lube residue.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

BKP

K&N. It's worth the price of a Frosty, to me, to get that nut on top...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MCSafetyGuy

Amsoil filter

If you run Amsoils 10W40(formulated for High Rev engines), you can run it twice as long(8K miles under normal conditions). Then the $10 filter is really only $5. Then you get the very best protection available. IMHO. I am not a paid professional actor.

EsrTek

You must've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though!!!!

Anyway, I just changed mine yesterday and went w/ a Fram, as I'm lazy and Walmart had the oil I wanted (Rotella t6) and I was just too lazy to go out of way to find a K&N no one seems to have in stock around here.

As for the oil filter, I hope it works fine, but I much rather have that nut thing again!
Much easier to get the K&N on/off!

JSP

Super Moderator
You must've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though!!!!

Anyway, I just changed mine yesterday and went w/ a Fram, as I'm lazy and Walmart had the oil I wanted (Rotella t6) and I was just too lazy to go out of way to find a K&N no one seems to have in stock around here.

As for the oil filter, I hope it works fine, but I much rather have that nut thing again!
Much easier to get the K&N on/off!
Do you like your bike? Fram is the worst crap cardboard thing you could use. Absolutely horrible filters. Horrible. Not called the orange can of death for nothing. Deterioration, bypass issues, crap filter elements, horrible construction, etc. Cut one open if you don't believe me.

Purolator, Napa Gold/Wix, etc are good cheaper filters you can find most anywhere.

Last edited:

bmw675

Do you like your bike? Fram is the worst crap cardboard thing you could use. Absolutely horrible filters. Horrible. Not called the orange can of death for nothing. Deterioration, bypass issues, crap filter elements, horrible construction, etc. Cut one open if you don't believe me.

Purolator, Napa Gold/Wix, etc are good cheaper filters you can find most anywhere.
+1
And not just fram oil filters. Avoid their air filters for vehicles too.

I have been using the kn 204 on my bike because of the nut. @$12/filter, they are the same price as triumph ones.

but I had to pick up some factory ones for my 675 last week. My winter project will prohibit me from using the k&n any longer (hell of an ot teaser, right). :eek:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

EsrTek

Damnit now that you say it, I remember that..
It's not a normal Orange Fram, but one made for bikes and all black.. however still a fram :(
If I can afford to buy all new Full Synth oil soon, I will change it out.. Otherwise I'm stuck w/ how it is.

I never tried, but I would assume I can not change out the filter w/o losing all the oil??

Alex6

It's not a normal Orange Fram, but one made for bikes and all black.. however still a fram :(
If I can afford to buy all new Full Synth oil soon, I will change it out.. Otherwise I'm stuck w/ how it is.

I never tried, but I would assume I can not change out the filter w/o losing all the oil??
You talking about losing oil as if it is an expensive whiskey or something. A $20 for a gallon of Rotella t6 and a $12 for a filter every few months should not be a big deal. Also, Yamaha's OM says to change the filter every other time you change the oil.

JSP

Super Moderator

You can pull the filter without losing oil. Just what is in the filter. The oil sits in the sump. With the bike not running, there is none being pumped through. Very little will be lost. You should have some Rotella left to top off if it needs it.

Last edited:

EsrTek

Knew the filter held some, but figured the oil would pour out instantly.
If that's the case I'm goin to buy a new filter tomorrow, I still have rotella left over, worse case I can afford 1 qt.

I haven't ridden it yet, as I wanted to make sure all seals were good, think the filter was leaking some yesterday and hit her w the filter wrench 1 more time.
Been checkin all day for new leaks, w/ 0 results.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:
Not trying to be naive, but what's wrong with the Yamaha filters? Yeah, I know they might be a little more expensive, but for me, for as few filters as I use per year, it's worth it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member