What gives?

DragonBlu

I took my bike in Saturday to the dealer where I bought it for a vibration and slight loss of power. They just called and said it needed the throddle body sync'ed and it was not covered by warranty.(Total $163) I have had it since last July and it has 1,010 miles on it. Does that sound right to some of you more experienced guys dealing with service people and bike dealerships?

Newmason

Doesnt sound right at all, as you should have a 1 year yamaha factory warranty, and I think that is unlimited mileage within that 1st year!

DragonBlu

Thanks,It just kind of blew my mind that the service manager said it was not covered. When I pick it up Saturday I will have a discussion with the whole place. If I have to pay it,I'll get my money's worth. Hee Hee

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I hate to say it DragonBlu but Yamaha considers a TB sync "tuning" and it will not be covered under warranty.

Depending on the cost they are looking to charge you, it could be beneficial for you to do this yourself. If you know someone who has a sync tool, then you're most of the way there!

Here's an article I found that describes the process.

How to do a Carb Synching in Your Motorcycle - Motorcyclist Online

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Also, here is a video made by two members of the FZ6 sister-site. The FZ6R isn't a whole lot different.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLwyAPMBLI]YouTube - How to synchronize your throttle bodies.[/ame]

FitZ6R

Sorry, but your dealer is right about the warranty. Syncing the throttles is routine maintenance, which isn't covered.

Having said that, $160 is steep for what should be less than an hour job. Is that just for the sync? If they're charging you for "diagnosis" or something like that, I call BS. A decent mechanic should be able to diagnose out-of-balance cylinders by ear from a hundred yards away.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

DragonBlu

Thanks guys,I got out the owner's manual out and read it again and I see the errs of my way now. I should have gotten out my balance meter sooner instead of waiting. They did have some diagnostic time because I told them I thought I got water in the tank.(another long story) We will see how it runs when I pick it up tomorrow. Thanks all!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Do the sync'ing yourself. It will be a good learning experience for you and it's much cheaper do yourself. There was a how-to posted here and there are several others online.

Here is the link to the thread. It is really detailed and very straight forward. I plan to do my own later this year.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/how-sync-throttle-bodies-fz6r-15991/

JSP

Super Moderator
I need to do mine. About 8k on the clock and have yet to do it :(

Detrich

I just had 8k mile service done and ouch- it was pricey! >.<

That said, I do like my dealership. But, they definitely cost a bit more.

Am just rationalizing that one major tune up & inspection a year to keep the bike running safely is money worth spending.

What do most Yamaha dealerships charge for 8k service anyways?

danieljardim

* Garage Usage
o Per Hour.......................................$25
o 1/2 day (4 hrs).............................$70
o Full day (8 hrs)...........................$120
o Monthly (30 days).......................$250

Power lifts are $5/hr extra

* Bike Storage

o Overnight.....................................$5

It's so awesome. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use them myself but I know a lot of people who have. They have guys there who will help you if you don't know how to do something or just need an extra set of hands. A lot of guys get their tires from them (they have a full shop as well) and change them there. They'll teach you how to use the equipment and make sure you're comfortable doing it before your time even starts. A friend of mine just did a full valve job (first time he's ever attempted anything like that) changed both tires and put new brake pads on in 4 hours. That would have cost him about $500 in labor at least. Cost him less than $100 plus parts cost. Plus he learned a lot about his bike and got much more comfortable and confident in doing other smaller jobs at home that he has the tools to do.

Privateer's Garage.
We were discussing this subject here at the shop the other day. What kind of insurance the owner of this place pays because of the safety liability he is bonded to.

Who knows what kind of wanna be mechanic is gonna try to do his own brake job and he will leave the shop and smash a minivan with a soccer mom and a bunch of kids because he never bled the system. It's crazy.

SurfJunkie

The actual sync tool is ~75 bucks plus shipping online. I recall seeing something here on the forums on how to build your own, but at 75 bucks it might just be a worthy tool addition to the collection.

Here, have an amazon link to it. ( sorry mods if that's a no go. )
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0411-Syncpro-Carburetor/dp/B000K7JHWA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359048002&sr=8-2&keywords=carb+synchronizer"]Motion Pro 08-0411 Syncpro Carburetor Tuner : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

They dont call em the Stealership for nothing.