What don't frame sliders protect?

Superzoom

I still don't have frame sliders, but am going to get some soon.

My question is: If you have frame sliders and you low-side your FZ6R at low to moderate speed, what parts get damaged?

latony007

My question is: If you have frame sliders and you low-side your FZ6R at low to moderate speed, what parts get damaged?
well i hope to never find out but id start with mirrors and bar ends. The sliders are supposed to protect the fairings and engine block to my limited knowledge. im sure the parts in rear would be damaged as well. They also have spool sliders for this bike i believe to help protect the rear. T-Rex or Shogun seem to be the choices.

Cerebus

Unfortunately I found out last summer when I low sided on the left...

Fairing is a mess and needs replaced. I snapped off the bracket to the passenger foot peg, so the large aluminum piece it attaches too needs replaced. Engine cover got scratched up on the bottom. The grab handle around the seat had the rubber scoured off and bare metal was exposed. It's rusted now, looks like crap, and needs replaced. The mirror of course was toast. Handlebar was bent and had to be replaced. I'll look up my thread with pics.

Well, this was it, but doesn't appear to be working...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/fz6r-general-discussion/29863-low-sided-tonight.html

Last edited:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Cerebus

For the record, I dropped my bike at a stop sign last year too and the frame slider prevented ANY damage. Just last week during windy weather, my cover acted as a sail and blew my bike over, also zero damage thanks to the frame slider.

On a related note, I would HIGHLY recommend rear spools. When I low sided, they kept the swing arm off the ground.

indian9990

For the record, I dropped my bike at a stop sign last year too and the frame slider prevented ANY damage. Just last week during windy weather, my cover acted as a sail and blew my bike over, also zero damage thanks to the frame slider.

On a related note, I would HIGHLY recommend rear spools. When I low sided, they kept the swing arm off the ground.
That's good that the frame sliders helped! Any recommendations on frame sliders and rear spools?

travisH3

I would say it depends on how fast you are going....

I have tipped/knocked over 3 times.....

#1 - hit the bike with my car knocked it over opposite the kickstand side in the grass... I bent the bars and broke a foot peg

#2 -forgot to put kick stand down lowered it onto the ground.... no real damage.

installed givi bags after that and they have taken a brunt of the damage since

#3 - dropped it in the creek - scuffed up bags and bar ends
Ok I'm dieing to know, what were you doing with your fz6r in/near a creek........ Lol. This oughta be a good story.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Sneakynuts

OES Frame sliders ( no cut) are the ones I have

I dropped the bike in the garage getting it off the paddock stand....
Damaged the back of the mirror and that was it! ( few scratches)

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

I have OEM Yamaha (had the dealer order hem and install them) frame sliders these do require cutting. I absolutely love them they have done an amazing job!
what happened? couldnt find any sliders with an M on it?

"what do sliders not protect" .. the rider :)

latony007

you know what I should re paint them with Monster logos and submit for BOTM lol
Dont, if you win i will have to abandon the site totally! :spank:

travisH3

I've gone all this time without them but just ordered a set of t-Rex sliders for my bike. Better safe than sorry.

linkgt

I have the shogun frame sliders. I've dropped the bike about 3 times. Twice tipped over, once in a minor accident. On the accident, the right side mirror broke off, the brake lever broke and very minor damage to the handlebar end. No scratches on actual frame.