what does all think of the DS helmets?

tractorboy

I didnt even know they came out with a Dual sport helmet! coming from the dirt to street..I miss a bit of a visor. BUT...I know the wind can wreak havoc too. But these new helmets supposedly arent too bad with that.......

There is the Icon Variant which I love but 400 clams

also AFX has the FX-37DS. I like. but my wife said Id look dumb on a sportbike with one. anyone else thinking of this type of helmet???

Icon Variant Etched Helmet - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

AFX FX-37 DS Helmet - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

the afx does not get the greatest review regarding buffeting and what not...

Reactions: JSP

6R Blackout

Looks Cool but I looks too much like Motorcross. Doesn't look like it will sit well with the streetbikes.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Sage

I'm contemplating getting the variant once i get enough cash and the last of my mods installed. They look nice for some reason haha

FitZ6R

Ehh, I don't think so.

Looks are, of course, a matter of style and taste, and I've been told I lack both, so no comment on the fashion element. However, I like my helmets as quiet and turbulence-free as possible, and I'm unconvinced about the aerodymamics of that scoop.

Safety also concerns me. The visor and protruding chin both look like snag hazards in the event of a crash. Real MX visors are intended to break away if they catch on a branch or something - I can't tell about this one. In any case, the lack of Snell 2010 certification on a $400 helmet is a deal killer as far as I'm concerned.

Then again, the marketing copy is pretty epic:

"Etched into the memory of a thousand peoples, the wraith's rocker tongue is as restless as it is disrespectful. Licking and lapping at the precipice of indiscretion, it wants nothing but it takes everything. The Variant Etched - where the apparition meets harsh reality."

I want some of what that dude's puffin'. Or maybe it's just a Google translation.

tractorboy

yeah..its the dirtbiker in me...but thats what I wanted to know...does not appear natural on a street bike. Not that its a beauty contest but wanted others opinions......

wish I had a supermoto bike!!

thanks

Spunky99

At 80 mph the wind off the windscreen tosses my head about a bit. If I had a visor on the helmet, Id be fighting to keep my head forward and at 90mph it would get dangerous. I like to get her up past 110 on the on ramps to the freeways and then back off to merge into traffic. No way would I do it wearing one of those things.....Now I could wear one while racing the NSR50 without any problem.

Last edited: